So I turned 31 on Sunday, and Today my birthday present arrived (well i paid for it :D ). 1961 B61 that is fully loaded. Its not all original as it was restored professionally by a Mack dealership about 10 years ago. It originally was a single axle that was stretched and had a lift axle installed. It starts and runs like a champ, sounds great because it has no mufflers (seriously, who would want to muzzle that sweet sound?) Its my 1st REAL truck. I plan to have allot of fun with this ol dog :D.

Run down of the truck:

- ENDT673 w/ Jake Brake (yep a Jake!)

- 9 speed OD duplex trans

- twin chrome stacks (5 or 6 inch)

- air lift tag on Neway lift suspension (with wedge brakes and 9.00R20's)

- good 11R22.5's on the steer and drive axle

- Spring brakes on the drive axle

- Brakes on the steer axle. (I believe original because i have the dry-slippery valve switch in the cab)

- Wet line (single line) for a dump trailer.

- Big Fruehauf winch (estimated 40,000 pounds) with capstans on each side, hydraulically driven from the wet system.

- Air ride drivers seat

- Roof mounted Kysor AIR CONDITIONING! ..... That doesn't work :( (that is going to be sorted out right quick)

- AM/FM/CB/ 8 Track radio that works! (who ever heard of a radio with a CB built in?)

- Little tool box on the passenger side behind the cab.

I have always wanted an F model, I am still addicted to F's but when a gem like this comes along, you just don't brush it off. I always check out OldMacks.com every week or so to see if anything new comes along. I saw it pop up a few months back and I loved it. I gave it some thought and figured I could afford it, this year my new years resolution was to buy a truck. During Macungie I saw the truck in his for sale book and here I am surronded by trucks, I couldnt resist, the planets aligned so to speak. I made a few calls, checked my bank account and waited for Dennis to come by his spot. During that time others were looking and that truck had them talking. I kept hearing "oh wow look at that truck" "thats a good truck to buy". F--- that I said, this truck is mine. Dennis pulls up and before he got off his cart i was right there next to him telling him i want to buy that B and we shook on the deal. I was on a high for the next 20 minutes, that what it must feel like to shoot heroin. No wonder its an addiction.

Today the truck came, the driver drove it off the trailer and into our yard. I moved around our vehicles and made room to pull it back so that it isn't blocking any of our vehicles. What a world of difference driving it, arm strong steering is a whole new game to me. All in all I had no problem jumping in, starting it and moving it around. The cab is quite small, smaller then our GMC. I bumped my head on the door jam the first two times getting into it :wacko:.

UPDATE, Air brake system holds tight, I had to learn what air switches do what. :rolleyes:

There are a few problems for me to sort through first. The main problem is the air system barely builds pressure, without revving it it doesn't go past 30 psi. I pulled it out of our yard and almost couldn't get it back in. Revving it up it builds up just over 60 psi, just enough to release the brakes. Major air leak toward the rear and I hear a hiss in the cab as well. Pressure drops like a stone when the engine is shut off (from 30PSI it bleeds to 0 in just over a minute). The air lift tag has a bad lifting bag with a big hole in it and who's hose is cut (don't see the other end yet). I also think the air bags on the lift axle are bad as well. It took about 5 min for me to rev the engine and release the brakes. One step on the pedal and the pressure take a dive and the knob pops out. I am going to hook an air line to the tanks and trace the leaks.

Expect lots of questions......

post-314-0-23385900-1310493193_thumb.jpg

post-314-0-12607500-1310493374_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

And congrats to you!!! I'm happy to see you finally get a truck of your own. I'd seen that one also but wasn't interested as too many already, (not really). Hope to see you through your restoration.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Nice looking "unit" there Thad! really nice! Contrary to where Other Dogs mind stays, by "unit", I mean the truck. You will enjoy that. I have a 61 that I use 2 or 3 times a week, moving excavator, dozer, motor grader. I bought it restored from oldmacks couple of years ago and been a really good reliable truck. I like Dennis, easy to deal with, and will do what he says. congratulations!! randyp

post-4330-0-76830700-1310497433_thumb.jp

As a sidenote Thad, mines not air conditioned, so I schedule my moves for early mornings or late evenings. It can get really brutal in "Killer B'. I have lived here in same spot 57 years and dont remember a drought and heat wave like this. Its 3 pm here now, and I have 3 different thermometers, 2 digital and one mercury, in 3 different places and all are reading 109 right now. we are getting baked alive! randyp

Congratulations! Nice looking B. I know it's a lot of fun when you first get a new toy! Lots of fun down the road too. Trey

Thank you for the kind words everyone (and those who are yet to post)!

I thought the brake system was leaking something fierce. I now know how the "tractor protection valve" works. I thought it should be in the normal position, WRONG. Also the Neway lift bag is shot and the switch was in the up position which caused air to bleed right out of the system. After I sorted that out, the air system holds tight. After two hours of being shut off, it still had 60 psi in it.

I cant wait to get this puppy out on the road.

-Thad

Great looking birthday present!! Your going to have a ball with it. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thad,congrats on the truck! looks good,i'm sure you will be happy with it,birthday present ay? maybe you should talk to my wife,give her some pointers on a "proper" birthday gift for the Mack enthusiast!............Best of luck,and have fun!........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

As a sidenote Thad, mines not air conditioned, so I schedule my moves for early mornings or late evenings. It can get really brutal in "Killer B'. I have lived here in same spot 57 years and dont remember a drought and heat wave like this. Its 3 pm here now, and I have 3 different thermometers, 2 digital and one mercury, in 3 different places and all are reading 109 right now. we are getting baked alive! randyp

Now you damn skinflint! iffn' you'd just work a little harder,haul more dirt,(keep your engine running forwards)you'd have enough money to get A/C in Killerb! Me, i'm starting to think about pulling a reefer next summer,i'll turn the damn thing down to zero while unloading! way too fat,old, lazy to sweat like this! LOL!.........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Now you damn skinflint! iffn' you'd just work a little harder,haul more dirt,(keep your engine running forwards)you'd have enough money to get A/C in Killerb! Me, i'm starting to think about pulling a reefer next summer,i'll turn the damn thing down to zero while unloading! way too fat,old, lazy to sweat like this! LOL!.........Mark

I dont think underwear was designed to take that kind of punishment.

-Thad

Very nice!!! What antique truck show will you take it to? I look forward to seeing it!!!

Good luck.

John

My goal is at least Gerharts, if I make better progress, the Watts show (If I can afford it lol). I sunk allot of cash into buying it so I have to be careful on how I spend in the coming weeks.

-Thad

Super rig! Welcome to the club of the mentally afflicted and perpetually poor. Now all you need is a vintage lowboy and a nice AC to haul on it and perhaps a vintage dozer or tractor; and the money for a divorce lawyer.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Nice looking "unit" there Thad! really nice! Contrary to where Other Dogs mind stays, by "unit", I mean the truck. You will enjoy that. I have a 61 that I use 2 or 3 times a week, moving excavator, dozer, motor grader. I bought it restored from oldmacks couple of years ago and been a really good reliable truck. I like Dennis, easy to deal with, and will do what he says. congratulations!! randyp

Yes, congratulations on your new unit! By the way Randy, that's a nice big picture you got there-thank you.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 4 weeks later...