Im 5'11" and the backs of my knees start to burn when I reach down halfway down my shins, lol. 15 years in R models has shortened the tendons and muscles on the backs of my legs!

The +3 can was likely introduced at the same time Mack went from the steel dash to the plastic curved dash.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mowerman said:

It’s possible Paul as I mentioned I have owned both models, but I am certainly not an authority like Mechohaulic says still learning every day, especially on here now I’m gonna throw a monkey wrench in the whole tread. What about the DMM ????? lol  Bob

DMM ==dumper/mixer/massive = no that's not right !!  DMM had the raised cabs no front fender wells. set up for dual front steer / front wheel drive/ steel or fiberglass nose.

• Like 1

Might’ve started up that way, but by 1970 they were all over the turnpikes up and down with freight trucks mostly at night. They certainly made a big splash for quite a while. Thanks for that…. Bob

3 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

I could be mistaken, I always understood the 'U" was for Urban, a short nosed tractor to maneuver in tight places like East coast cities. Much like the IHC Fleetstar.

2 cyl under the hood, 2 under the dash and 2 beside the driver! 

Just to add to that U model designation, the U model goes way  back to even a EHU model.   Terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

Paul, U and DM had same cabs. the difference was in the firewall. U had engine partly in the cab, DM did not. 

we had a DM with wrecked cab, dash, roof ,and back wall. (a jerk in a 980 was driving through the yard with bucket up and "did not see it" put the cutting edge into the bottom of the windshield area and ripped the cab off the truck)

we put  put a used U cabin excellent condition on it. cut the DM firewall out, and welded it into the U cab than put it on the truck

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

6 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

Paul, U and DM had same cabs. the difference was in the firewall. U had engine partly in the cab, DM did not. 

we had a DM with wrecked cab, dash, roof ,and back wall. (a jerk in a 980 was driving through the yard with bucket up and "did not see it" put the cutting edge into the bottom of the windshield area and ripped the cab off the truck)

we put  put a used U cabin excellent condition on it. cut the DM firewall out, and welded it into the U cab than put it on the truck

now even with a shot or two of jack Daniels after a LONG day at trailer  brakes and repair ;AND 80 degree humid weather  NEVER KNEW  a fire wall difference. DANG  you people are the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

Was that an 800 or 600 with the different cowl (firewall) ?  I always understood the offset cab was to shorten the BBC. Also for better weight distribution. I'm also thinking early Us were available with a V8 . Like when the R style cabs came out , weren't the Us supposed to be the replacement for the Cs?  I remember DM 600s with the engine in the cab like U models ,and that was a small cab (metal dash)  Get's a little tough to remmeber as back then it was fairly easy to swap stuff around without much trouble.  The DM I'm thinking of had a Coolpower in it with the water going through it too. Way newer than the chassis.  DM 800s ?   they were just huge. No mistaking one of those bad boys for anything else. I think they weren't limited to inline Mack 6 cylinders either.

• Like 1

My favorite vintage plate could be Italian or maybe Swedish but I think Italian I love it it was everywhere in the late seventies early eighties I have not seen one in a long time found this one at a friend’s shop a couple months ago perfect for an Italian Mack 

IMG_0830.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mowerman said:

Might’ve started up that way, but by 1970 they were all over the turnpikes up and down with freight trucks mostly at night. They certainly made a big splash for quite a while. Thanks for that…. Bob

Put in a few 500 mile days in my 6-71 powered Fleetstar, yeah I know they didn't only get used in the city

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mark T said:

Was that an 800 or 600 with the different cowl (firewall) ?  I always understood the offset cab was to shorten the BBC. Also for better weight distribution. I'm also thinking early Us were available with a V8 . Like when the R style cabs came out , weren't the Us supposed to be the replacement for the Cs?  I remember DM 600s with the engine in the cab like U models ,and that was a small cab (metal dash)  Get's a little tough to remmeber as back then it was fairly easy to swap stuff around without much trouble.  The DM I'm thinking of had a Coolpower in it with the water going through it too. Way newer than the chassis.  DM 800s ?   they were just huge. No mistaking one of those bad boys for anything else. I think they weren't limited to inline Mack 6 cylinders either.

I looked at a U model back around 1986 Oakland, California Mack dealer it was a dump truck around 1968 had a V8 Mack engine in it that’s when one of those salesman told me they weren’t worth the extra cylinders I’m already seeing here we’re getting different opinions haha  I was really surprised that it had a V8 Mack seems like they were no foot room at all… bob

Edited by mowerman
Misspelled

1 hour ago, D-Day said:

My favorite vintage plate could be Italian or maybe Swedish but I think Italian I love it it was everywhere in the late seventies early eighties I have not seen one in a long time found this one at a friend’s shop a couple months ago perfect for an Italian Mack 

IMG_0830.jpeg

We had a Aussie impersonating a Italian singing a song that went to number one, at a guess the early 80's

Let me know if the link doesn't work, and yes it was number one in the charts for weeks

Back when we could all laugh at ourselves 

Good times

And just for the sake of it, another classic from around the era when we didn't take ourselves to seriously 

"The Newcastle song"

Happy days

Paul 

• Like 1

i have seen mack DM800's with mack, cat, detroit, and cummins V8's , and mack , cat, cummins, and detroit six cylinders in them.

i also saw one with an air cooled Deutz V-8 in it. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, tjc transport said:

Not true dm 600 and u 600 were the same, I put a u model cab on a dm, identical.   Terry:MackLogo:

Edited by terry
  • Like 1

Well, as I mentioned, I’ve owned both of them and I actually took the dog house from U model onto a DM    I didn’t see any difference DMM might be a different story or maybe 800 I don’t know I  I’ve never even been inside one bob

• Like 1