Pictures of the Week

other dog

19 hours ago, mowerman said:

OK Tom, you got us all hanging on a limb. Let’s get her buttoned up and let us know what she does ha ha

I will, I'm just waiting on the spacer and gaskets now. I ordered a kit too, but I probably don't need it. But, on the other hand, taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning couldn't hurt, that gas that was in it did look pretty bad.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

So here's the latest latest update. I got the carburetor kit and spacer in the mail yesterday.

PXL_20240508_1514569272.thumb.jpg.c4996b24181ead1543d12069fef375ab.jpg

I was so sure that the too long studs was the problem I didn't wait to have the kit put in the carburetor, I slapped the spacer and carburetor on the truck and fired it up. 

This morning I took the carburetor off so I can have the kit put in it.

PXL_20240508_2014387742.thumb.jpg.9422ff63b9a5ae8827e82c3212d7f342.jpg

It doesn't run any better than it did at first. Needless to say, I'm getting very frustrated with it.

So here's a picture of a girl in a car that I took when I was sitting in traffic on I-40 in Knoxville in 2020. Pretty sure she knew I was looking too.

P1040339.JPG.9b7cedf679f8389d5014c01827c04693.jpeg.89c6ef890ff1dae2fed308c9ca9dfe8c.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Some old carbs wear around the throttle plate rod that goes through the base plate. Makes vacuum leaks there's no fixing 

Yeah, those can be fixed but not with just a gasket kit. I'm looking at an old Zenith and may be a Carter that need that fixed.

5 hours ago, Mark T said:

Some old carbs wear around the throttle plate rod that goes through the base plate. Makes vacuum leaks there's no fixing 

A mill and a ream will fix worn throttle shaft.  Press new bushing in, presto, good as new.

Changing to different carb would only be an issue of bolt pattern/bore size was odd?  Not sure how interchangeable that stuff is back then?

Let me know if you want me to help Tom.  I can even do the throttle shafts for you.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

i had an 87 F150 stepside come in to the shop once with erratic throttle.  302 with SROD trans. the throttle shaft on the throttle body was so worn out the throttle would bind on full throttle. 

it also had a massive vacuum leak through the shaft bushings. 

the guy did not believe me till i showed him. 

got a throttle body out of a junk yard from a low mile wreck. cost $150 total for diagnosis and repair. 

it had been to 4 other shops and no one could figure out what was wrong with it. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

A mill and a ream will fix worn throttle shaft.  Press new bushing in, presto, good as new.

Changing to different carb would only be an issue of bolt pattern/bore size was odd?  Not sure how interchangeable that stuff is back then?

Let me know if you want me to help Tom.  I can even do the throttle shafts for you.

Well thank you, thank you very much!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Freightrain said:

That's exactly what cures that issue.  in 2024, not many guys are aware of that repair or able to make it.  I'd be looking in that area if I was looking for a vacuum leak.   (IDK.... does eather even work for that any more ?)  

• Like 1

I switched to Brake clean..  it changes the engine speed either way, up or down..  ether seems to be different..  I'm with you MarkT

• Like 1

Hey Jo-Jo does your K-7 have a Zenith, Carter or Holley? I'm going through mine now and got the IHC "Shop talks" on the Zenith and Carter as they show the breakdown of the carb and sequence better than the shop manual. Also list the factory tools, but finding a set might be hard.

Shop talks are IHC's training manuals that go into more depth, kind of like what you get at a factory school today.

Anyway, I could try and scan them if you want one.

I think at least one of my Carter's is going to need a sleeve in the throttle shaft bore.

G W,, its a Carter BBR-1..  I rebuilt it last year. O'Reilly carb kit P/N.15021B

• Like 1

My BBR is going to need throttle shaft work if I am going to reuse it., might get another Zenith on it until I get around to machining the throttle shaft bore and sleeving it.

In the mean time if the CRC/brake clean shows a leak a big dollop of grease will seal up the shaft to prove it's sucking air 

Even if the CRC/brake clean jobby shows nothing shoving grease everywhere will help show any possible air leaks

That been said I reckon theres a blockage in the carby from what we know so far

Paul

On 5/10/2024 at 3:21 PM, Freightrain said:

Sure pay to know somebody in the machine shop business I was thinking the same thing …. Bob

• Like 1

Carbs are soft, you can hand ream it and press or tap in new bushings coated with sleeve retainer..  of course finding bushings may be an issue..  

Bushing are no problem internet search show all sizes with reamers included.

Trick is being careful on the set up so you keep the shaft centered where it was to begin with. 

Get the alignment wrong and the throttles will not close properly, or the ports will be in the wrong area to function properly.

• Like 2

Just now, Geoff Weeks said:

Bushing are no problem internet search show all sizes with reamers included.

Trick is being careful on the set up so you keep the shaft centered where it was to begin with. 

Get the alignment wrong and the throttles will not close properly, or the ports will be in the wrong area to function properly.

That's where havng a few reams and test fit and find one and use it for setting centerline.  Definitely need to adjust throttle blades when putting it back together so everything closes perfectly.

Tom did shoot around the base and didn't note any changes in RPM.  I'm still hoping for something plugged in the carb.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

Larry

31 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Sure pay to know somebody in the machine shop business I was thinking the same thing …. Bob

No doubt.  Worked in machine shop for 38 yrs.  Handy thing to learn. 

• Like 2

Larry