Yellow

They still owned power units & leased a lot as well. Ryder might be correct but I was thinking it was Penske or perhaps a mix of leasing companies.  The newest trailers were built on "the EXTREME cheap" and few other LTL's will be interested in them.  TL carriers might jump on the 48's & 53's. I think a lot of the trailers will go into the storage market and many will just be scrapped. 

• Like 1

same with all the trucks here in the central jersey terminal. almost all are from the 90's and will be heading to the scrap yards. 

the yard jockey is a 1985, and according to the driver, if he does not grease it an change the oil himself, it wound lever get don at all. 

the side door is welded shut because one day he opened it and it fell off. so he only uses the rear door the past three years.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

14 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

Tom, You can add mine to that picture also! And the long list of other "Fallen Flags" that are gone.    .....Hippy

Yep, that's a good picture, if there was an Overnite truck in there with them it would be a great picture!

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

9 hours ago, D2Denny said:

How about this Overnight Mack?   Was my  B-42. I sold it to Overnight about 20 years ago and they painted it in their livery as their heritage truck.

OvernightBMacktruck.jpg.8effb50291489f0c68eae9566ac99c68.jpgIMG_0026-Copy.jpg.a639c24a708441675e71739c5ecf3f6b.jpg

Mr. J. Harwood Cochrane (11/16/1912 - 7/25/2016) sure would have been proud to see that! Any idea where it is now?    .....Hippy 

10 hours ago, D2Denny said:

How about this Overnight Mack?   Was my  B-42. I sold it to Overnight about 20 years ago and they painted it in their livery as their heritage truck.

What happened to it after they closed down. I think UPS bought them out right? I can't imagine UPS kept it.....Looks like its in a museum now.

10 hours ago, D2Denny said:

OvernightBMacktruck.jpg.8effb50291489f0c68eae9566ac99c68.jpgIMG_0026-Copy.jpg.a639c24a708441675e71739c5ecf3f6b.jpg

Is that the one that's in the Transportation Museum in Roanoke? A friend of mine drove it up there from Richmond if it is. He worked for Overnite for a long time, mostly in the shop. He was the only one that could even drive the B model, so he took it to Roanoke.

On 7/31/2023 at 10:29 AM, other dog said:

All gone.

FB_IMG_1690805814106.jpg.d33946a53bf204d6c98d41920ad9bc16.jpg

That's not my picture, I saw it on Facebook.

This reminds me of a Ford commercial "back in the day.  It was a picture of a trailer with all the logos of the big carriers who were running 

Fords. If my memory serves me right ABF may be the only one in that group still  alive.

I see a Carolina truck in that picture.  Carolina was a pretty cool story.  Seems like I read somewhere that Mr. Beam got some of his earliest loads from right here in Marion, hauling goods out of the cotton mills for Mr. Cross.  In fact, that may have been why he bought his second truck.  

Hated to see them go belly-up.  I think it was ABF that gobbled them up and closed them down.  I'm pretty sure ABF owns Southeastern, too.  Carolina and Southeastern used to be everywhere when I was a kid.

Lots of fallen flags...

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

4 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Hippy..assume he was Overnite founder?

Yes he was. (1935-1980) And he also started "Highway Express" (1991-2003) across the street from the OVNT Richmond VA home office. The day after his non-compete clause expired with the Union Pacific Corp. lol    .....Hippy

J. Harwood Cochrane, trucking magnate and arts benefactor, dies at 103 ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Yeah, here's something on that...

I can't remember where I found some of the other stuff.  I'll keep looking.

https://www.historync.org/laureate - C Grier Beam.htm

http://www.beamtruckmuseum.com/

Yeah, that museum has been on my bucket list for a while now.

1 hour ago, 70mackMB said:

Yes he was. (1935-1980) And he also started "Highway Express" (1991-2003) across the street from the OVNT Richmond VA home office. The day after his non-compete clause expired with the Union Pacific Corp. lol    .....Hippy

J. Harwood Cochrane, trucking magnate and arts benefactor, dies at 103 ...

Overnite was never a union company either, they always voted against unionizing. And two good friends of mine that I've known since my teens worked for Overnite. One is the one who drove the B model to Roanoke, the other is his first cousin. I've seen where people called them a scab company on Facebook pages before, not for crossing anybody's picket line but because they were never a union company to start with. And I've never heard anybody that ever worked for Overnite have anything but good to say about them because Mr. Cochrane took care of his people, they didn't need to go union.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Brocky said:

Put your photo chop skills to work!!!!!

The photo cutting program that I used to use has expired, I'll renew it again whenever we get good internet here. Firefly is supposed to be coming, "this summer" is what they told us. My son said "when you see a big black cable rolled up and hanging from a power pole, it won't be long then". There's been a big roll of cable hanging from a power pole since we've been here, but no high speed internet yet. We have something from T Mobile now I think 🤔, or maybe it's US Cellular, so Zina can work, but we only get so much data, so I'm afraid to get on my PC much.

• Like 1

As an independent, I never cross at picket either. Earned the respect of the Union. In an ideal world there would be no need ever. We don't live in an ideal world. I have not worked in a union shop, but one place I worked became union after I left. I was called to a customer and came up on the picket. I got out, asked what was happening, (I was not told they were on strike when I was called) and then asked for room to turn around! I got it!  Remember, the glory days after WW 2 (50's and 60's) were when we had the strongest unions  in this country.

I don't feel every shop HAS to be union, but some sure do.

Edited by Geoff Weeks
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

As an independent, I never cross at picket either. Earned the respect of the Union. In an ideal world there would be no need ever. We don't live in an ideal world. I have not worked in a union shop, but one place I worked became union after I left. I was called to a customer and came up on the picket. I got out, asked what was happening, (I was not told they were on strike when I was called) and then asked for room to turn around! I got it!  Remember, the glory days after WW 2 (50's and 60's) were when we had the strongest unions  in this country.

I don't feel every shop HAS to be union, but some sure do.

Geoff,  I have never worked in a union barn but spent may years working very close with union carriers when we had our cartage agency.  All my life I have referred to Unions as a necessary evil...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terry T said:

Geoff,  I have never worked in a union barn but spent may years working very close with union carriers when we had our cartage agency.  All my life I have referred to Unions as a necessary evil...

i worked two union shops. 32 years. when it came time to retire, i found out my pension would be $276 per month, and i got $39,000 out of the annuity fund i put over $460,000 into. the teamsters union stole everything they could get their hands on between 2000 and 2010.

that is why i am still working. i can not live on social security alone

• Sad 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..