Sidetrack area

mowerman

Well what a day, hot as all get out 

Lost my last Grandma last night, she was a Great Great Great Grandma, she was the one we grand children ran the wooden trucks into fridge and plaster work and so on around the house

Her husband, my Grand father was the one that built the toys and drove the old ex Army Mack EH log truck 

The end of a era,  Grandma was the last of that generation in my family

This year also marks 200 years since my family came to Australia as free settlers, we were the first white (thats a bad word in Yanky land but Im not a Yank) and up in the Victorian high country to graze sheep from the station in the Riverina district of NSW

Gunna be a big year for my family

Paul

• Sad 2

Anyway onto some happier stuff, actually loosing Grandma isn't sad as she lived a full life pretty much right up to the end, anyway I digress

Watched this video of NewZealand trucks in the 80's, if you can listen to some of the cometary as the bloke filming is talking about the 500 hp Mack Superliners, and even if you cant hear it you can sure the difference that 500 hp makes 

Now if you have never been to NewZealand you cant imagine just hiw windy and steep the roads are, doing 60 MPH for and distance over a few mile is virtually unheard of, no run ups to climb hills, it's just a long hard slog

Have a great day

Paul

• Like 1

I think we are all stunned at how long Grandma was around for, she out lived my father and some of next younger generation 

Sadly I hadn't seen Grandma for a couple of years thanks to Covid and having to give notice to visit and all the bullshit rules with that

I did write letters regularly for some time, Grandma didn't like talking on the phone, and send photos etc of my day to day life

But in the last little while Grandma couldn't see well enough to read and spent her life snoozing  so I never bothered writing 

She was a tough lady from a much tougher generation

And the set backs people of her generation had make our problems of today pale into nothing 

Anyway, Pa was a joker and Grandma was the but of a lot of these jokes as were us Grand kids, unlike the precious people of todays world we took it all in our stride

Pa, Grandma's husband must of died 28 years or more ago, I  had returned from working in QLD driving dozers and working on cattle stations etc and after saying gudday to Mum and Dad Pa (and Grandma of course) was the next people I wanted to see 

Pa had just had a stroke and was laying on the kitchen floor, hell of a shock that took me years to get over as I liked him so much, big and tough like a Mallee bull and yet there he was

Never got to tell him about my latest adventures 

I never could get enough of his stories, from his trucking days, to his days growing up at Gulpa in the sawmill to farming on the Hay plains

He was in the Airforce in the Pacific and based at Port Moresby, he never really spoke about it much, he did tell me when I askec what he did in the Airforce "the planes would come in like a colander and I would send them back out like a plane"

Pa did fly planes but only to test them before handing them back into service 

I learnt year's later that Pa was part of the rescue crew to remove pilots and aircrews when landed and crash landed and all the burnt pilots and air crews played havoc until he passed away

Anyway enough dribble from me

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. The older generations seem like they did so much like all the things you said your grandfather did . Now a days it seems like we don’t do much except keep safe from the Covid and inflation our kids aren’t going to get any good stories …..

• Sad 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

Yeah bud letting go still hard no sugar coating it my father-in-law passed around 5years ago he was a the best… career navy anyway mom is still here and going strong I thought the same thing she would’ve been right behind him.,, strange thing she does absolutely nothing to take care of herself thanks for the the cool photo babba….. Bob

Thanks for the kind words everyone, 

On to something very different 

I have always fancied a bit of horse riding even though Im pretty useless at it 

So the 4th November last year I, on the spur of the moment went stuff it and booked a horse riding adventure in NewZealand 

Now the very first thing to know about me is that I haven't really ridden a horse at all for 25 years

And I never was much of a rider 

So that been said I contacted a ex dairy farmer I know that has a lot to do with horses and explained what I was upto and asked for some help

We agreed and the fun suddenly got quite real

I started doing maybe 4 our 5 hours a week

Then slowly worked up to maybe 15 - 20 hours

My two biggest concerns were getting hurt and been that one person on the trip that holds everyone else back and ruins the ride for the other participants 

Well I was, like with most things concerned about nothing 

Turns out I wasn't t he worst by a long shot and never got hurt.

Ten of us went and I had a ball, I absolutely loved it, great people from across the world and sites and smells I can't really explain

So the 22nd of January 2023 at 3.00 am I head to Melbourne to catch the kero kite to Queenstown NewZealand 

What a adventure, I would recommend for anyone if the chance ever arises to do something crazy like this, jump in and have a go 

It is so easy to find excuses to not do things, believe me even up until I was on the plane if something had of happened and I couldn't of gone I wouldn't of been upset, I  was fairly nervous about this whole episode lol

20230127-121148.jpg

20230126-104126.jpg

20230125-144415.jpg

20230125-104453.jpg

20230124-140651-063.jpg

20230126-114933.jpg

Paul 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

a good "guide" or outfitter matches the horse to the rider. a very experienced rider gets a rowdy or rambunctious and hard to handle horse. 

an inexperienced rider gets the extremly tame horse that a 5 year old would feel safe on. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

So very true, the riders that claimed to be good horse breakers and the like were all cock sure amd up front at the start but after a few day or so they slowly worked their way back thru mob to the rear

I ended up the front on the last couple of days

Like most things in life, I learnt mamy years ago it is much easier to understate my ability and just work hard than it is to over state my ability and have to try and prove it 

So what is a out fitter, as what do they do in north America?

In Australia it is someone we might buy our equipment from, I get the feeling this isnt the case in the states, it is a business that people might engage to take them on a long ride, would I be correct in my thinking ?

Paul

Love horses I don’t know anything about them  see lots  of them and my travels and I have a few of them on my mustang   I have always wanted to work with them good for you paul glad your getting it done I’m afraid I’m A little jealous have a ball bud