Western Star 6900XD

Bullheaded

Ya, I would have spec'd a few things different. It is a little low on power, especially since we have hills that are 15% grade on the haul road. (according to the display in the Cat wiggle wagons.) It drops down to first gear and just crawls.

The lift axle.....I can't figure that one out. Yes the dump box is a bit longer than most off road haul trucks, it has a 266 inch wheel base, but I wouldn't think it would be needed with the frame that's in that thing.

I thought maybe it is for some extra brakes, but it doesn't even have brakes on it. Somebody didn't think that one through.

Still though, it's a pretty nice truck. And the last of the real trucks.

• Like 1

Yep, more safety police BS.  Here in Ontario you need Working At Height training for anything over 5.9 feet and you need fall arrest for 10 feet.

That's why when I was pulling walking floor and wood chip trailers I always loaded, then drove outside the mills to tarp. Those fall arrest systems and harnesses were more of a hindrance than anything.

Especially when you get caught hanging above you trailer with no help in the winter when one freezes up at minus 40. That happened to me once at a mill that installed their extravagant $50,000 air powered fall arrest system.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 9:11 PM, Brocky said:

What are the two objects that look like they are tarp strapped to the front bumper?? AND what are the white frameworks standing up on the front fenders for??????

Those two objects almost look like tow hooks. The frame works are so your can work on the truck and not fall off. I wouldn't want to fall backwards from a truck or any piece of equipment that high. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 2:34 PM, terry said:

Surprised they would even mess with a lift axle with a mine truck.   good looking truck too!   terry:MackLogo:

T,

Agree on that! and my first thought was given the beef of the rest of the tires, that lift looks like it has rubber that might last a week! As a percentage of weight tandems must scale out at, why bother with ....? 11-24.5's??--un less of course the law says..."4 axles gives you X pounds"-regardless of specific weight rating of individual axles/tires

But an impressive beast for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, DavCut said:

Any word on how the Stars are working out @Bullheaded?

Aside from all the driver abuse, they are going. They are gutless on our hills with that weight, they drop down to first gear every hill (X15 525/1850 Cummins Allison auto's) and the transmission warning lights come on every hill, except for the one good driver. He has yet to see a light come on.

But we all know how that works with slip seating and shift work.....one good driver that takes care of his unit gets to watch it get destroyed by the other seat covers.

• Like 1