G Mack cab entry

My G is the hardest truck to get into that I have ever encountered. I concede that my 75 year old ass is not as spry as it once was, but the peg on the hub cap and one step at the rear of the cab make it extremely difficult to climb up into the cab. Exiting is even worse. I'm going to fabricate a "stirrup" style step under the door like on a F Mack or old Freightliner. Does anyone out there have an F that they could take some measurements of this step for me.  I need the inside width of the step. How far it protrudes or angles out from the body, and the dimension from the top of the rung of the step to the bottom of the body in the wheel well. On second thought, if you have an old Freightshaker I could use those dimensions too. 

Thx   Dennis

1 hour ago, D2Denny said:

I concede that my 75 year old ass is not as spry as it once was, but the peg on the hub cap and one step at the rear of the cab make it extremely difficult to climb up into the cab. Exiting is even worse. I'm going to

and I thought I was the oldest on here at 70( closing in on 71 in may) LOL😄

• Haha 1

Not sure if this will help you but Oakley tank lines completely rebuilt an F model cab and two and lots of photographs might give you some ideas go to antique and classic somewhere around page 87 started somewhere in 2014 good luck pretty detailed photos are used to drive a cruise liner when I was in my 20s it was also pretty hard to get in and out of I thought …. Bob

a few years ago i saw a cab over with retractable staircase, similar to the kenworth ace system:

the difference being it came out and a handrail folded up, and it looked just like a staircase on the side of the truck. climb the stairs to a landing and get in the truck. it opened with a remote. also opened the truck door. 

then in cab, you pushed a button and the stairs retracted into the truck and the door closed. 

i want to say it was on a MAN or or Scania. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

very similar, but not quite. 

it did not swing out like that one, rather slide out from under the cab and than a hand rail came up on the outside. 

looked just like a staircase on the side of the truck.

11 hours ago, Brocky said:

The late Buddy Sombart of eastern Kansas had system built that lifted him and his wheelchair up into a Marmon COE and he could drive it from the wheelchair!!!!

i saw a peterbilt a few years ago with a wheelchair lift built into the sleeper and no driver seat. same deal. once in the truck the driver would lock his chair in and off he went. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

i am still waiting for he drive from home option to be developed and perfected. 😁

They're Close... It's becoming quite common in the Mining industry Down here .

https://www.australianmining.com.au/features/remote-control-mining-in-a-time-of-need/

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

i am still waiting for he drive from home option to be developed and perfected. 😁

40 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

They're Close... It's becoming quite common in the Mining industry Down here .

Yes I agree. Getting close on the road as well. Can't say how I know due to non disclosure agreements but it is a lot closer than people think. The company in particular I am speaking of has the financial backing from Wall Street, some of the largest powertrain component manufactures in the business, as well as a couple of the mega fleets. The biggest obstacle with it all is the actual legality surrounding it is currently very gray considering how many jurisdictions a truck passes through on a single trip.  Most in the business will concede though these trucks will be for terminal to terminal interstate routes....at least for the time being. I'm sure a time will come when everything can be economically automated. Considering how far technology has come in a short amount of time its just not that hard to imagine if you really think about it.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 7:10 AM, tjc transport said:

i am still waiting for he drive from home option to be developed and perfected

Can't be far away. They have it down to a steering wheel holder only option now!    .....Hippy 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mowerman said:

Wonder how they’re going to handle spin outs Donner pass… Bob

I think ANY kind of adverse weather is going to create some wild reactions??? Especially with electric motor drive when they go to full torque instantly!!!! No feathering the throttle and slipping the clutch!!!!!

• Like 1

Brocky

• 1 month later...