MR688S frame work

Currently the left frame rail is out & sperated.  So much work just to alleviate less than 1/4 inch of rust jacking.  Monday will be sandblast the frame in the rain. Will tent it with the boom of our crane and a 30x50 tarp, then run it inside the garage for paint. Then crank up the heat and cook the paint!

Edited by JoeH

1 hour ago, 1965 said:

I’m thinking & hoping you will like that automatic 

I think I will too, I've driven automatic oil/propane delivery trucks and they're easy.  What I'm nervous about is off-road capabilities.  We get in people's back yards and find soft ground sometimes.  I need to inspect the automatic power divider.  Full lockers would be sweet but they're hard to come by.  Truck has Automatic Traction Control, piggy backed into the ABS system, which I had hoped was on all 4 drives wheels, but it's only on steer and rear drive axle.  I may buy toner ring hubs for the intermediate axle and steal the steering ABS sensor system for the intermediate axle so I have traction control on 4 drives.

• Like 1

How about buying an air locked power divider housing and shift fork assembly, and the cam drum, peanuts and inner cam, and building it and shimming it to fit back into the carrier housing, then get  the drive shaft shortened by the difference between the auto power and the air locker set up? then you can run an air switch to the dash and hook a light or buzzer to it so you know if it's locked in..  you can use the current bevel pinion that is in the carrier and set tooth pattern the normal way after you convert the housing..  jojo

• Like 1

there is always the option of buying a rear end with the correct ratio and of course in good condition, and building it on the bench..  The last 'whole' one I bought from Re-Mack was $4300.00....5 years ago..  don't know if they still offer them..  "Overdrive rebuilders" Is who I've been using since...  not sure if they are in your area, but it's a thought..  jojo

I often wonder why the MR isn't used more broadly in the construction industry such as mixer(non pumper), dump and even HD tractor. As stated they are easy to service and work on. This would apply to Autocar and Paccar as well. I have seen some older MR dumps (Galasio from  East Granby)from time to time. We even have a twin steer White expeditor running around here in CT.🙂

• Like 1

Left rail is primered painted and installed. Right rail has been removed and separated, tomorrow is hopefully sandblast, primer, paint.

Supply chain issues are a bit screwy. In our hurry to get going we have had to reuse a lot of bolts before sourcing new ones. Last truck we did like this was 10 years ago, and I dont think we had any trouble getting bolts.  

Pictures show left rails laying flat vs right rails still with rust jacking.

KIMG0534.JPG

KIMG0521.JPG

KIMG0520.JPG

• Like 1

Right frame rail has the cab tilt mechanism, and since the right frame rail isn't in the truck right now..... We had to improvise.  Left rail cab hinge is installed, right cab hinge is suspended by strap, and the cab gutter line is suspended from another strap, from beams going from our A frame to our pallet shelving. Redneck ingenuity is heavily at work here...

KIMG0541.JPG

KIMG0540.JPG

KIMG0539.JPG

• Like 2

Good luck with this project...you did a lot of work so far.  

I'm a big MR fan.  Drove one for Waste Management.  I did want to buy an MR tractor (old USPS rig) and either stretch it and make an RV out of it or put a sleeper cab on it.  I have a CH midrise sleeper that i was going to use but, there isn't enough time in the day.

• Like 1

New Years Eve had the paint store closed, so we didn't get as much done last Friday as we hoped.  Finally got the right frame rails and about 10-15 miscellaneous brackets sand blasted and painted. Everything is sitting in the garage baking at 75 degrees overnight. 8am tomorrow starts the install process.  Should go smoothly, no reason for it not to.  Lift axle should arrive end of the week, hopefully the shortened driveshaft will be back soon too.  One of my tenants is a collision center, I may ask them to prep the cab for paint.  That's one task I don't enjoy so much. More pictures promised as progress continues!

KIMG0555.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hook n ladder 1 said:

Good luck with this project...you did a lot of work so far.  

I'm a big MR fan.  Drove one for Waste Management.  I did want to buy an MR tractor (old USPS rig) and either stretch it and make an RV out of it or put a sleeper cab on it.  I have a CH midrise sleeper that i was going to use but, there isn't enough time in the day.

Sleeper would be interested on an MR, it couldn't mate to the cab as there's part of an engine in the way.  Would definitely be a neat rig if you could pull it off!

My nephew just bought 2 2008 garbage trucks which i believe are MR,s and he said when you turn the key off the 2 outside cab lights stay on you have to turn key back to acc then they go out. Ive never been around one so i was wondering if there's a seperate switch for the lights like how the R models have 2 switches. He said its a rotary style switch rather than toggle switches like the R model