Adding a sleeper to a b model

Buddy of mine in California had one I got to sit in it that was quite a while ago he  turned it shortly after he bought it somebody was interested in buying it… they’re pretty cool and that was the only one I have ever seen in person… bob

19 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I have the big air cleaner.  It's definitely a bit tighter to get it.

Might have to get the tape measure out?

That's what I was thinking.  All the ones I grew up around had the larger air cleaner, and the RH door was definitely harder to get into.  Same deal on the R-models.  Less swing on that door.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I had to put felt bumpers on the air cleaner brackets as to not gouge up my brand new doors I just out on.  The door skin would just touch the brackets if you push the door wide open.

R model with the big aircleaner cans we run in Australia hit the quarter vents (the little glass window that catches the air and angry bees and wasps but keeps the sweat moving off your body) when they are open 

There are adusjtable stops that clamp onto the hinges to stop this from happening but the doorway  is small enough as it is

I wonder if these would work on a B model 

I'll take some photos of you like 

Paul

• Like 1

I have the small gas job air cleaner still I was using it but after I put the turbo on I haven't made a pipe to hook it back up I would like to get one with the tall top but all I have found was junk ones for big money

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

4 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

R model with the big aircleaner cans we run in Australia hit the quarter vents (the little glass window that catches the air and angry bees and wasps but keeps the sweat moving off your body) when they are open 

There are adusjtable stops that clamp onto the hinges to stop this from happening but the doorway  is small enough as it is

I wonder if these would work on a B model 

I'll take some photos of you like 

Paul

My original big top hat had a big V notched in it from the passenger wing window hitting it when you opened the door.

I installed the chrome riser to get it up out of the way.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, Mean Green said:

I have the small gas job air cleaner still I was using it but after I put the turbo on I haven't made a pipe to hook it back up I would like to get one with the tall top but all I have found was junk ones for big money

Id like to convert mine to dry element instead of oil bath.  My 237 sucks oil enough to make the intake tube oily and seeps some at the rubber couplers.  Watts used to offer a replacement dry filter housing but it got too pricey.  Been wanting to find a small SS vortex and get it mounted.  Waiting to find the right size, cheap!

• Like 2

Larry

Way back when, Mack sold a conversion kit. Had one on the truck I drove in ‘80. Still had the oil bath bottom on the can. But, when you dropped it, there was a dry filter up in the main body. I couldn’t find anything like that for my later truck. I’ve seen a lot with the Donaldson can swapped onto them. 

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Dave, I love the 237.  It's so much nicer to travel the hills and keep up speed.  Cruise and AC help too.  The jakes are a nice addition also.  I just need a transmission that will stay IN gear on decel.  Mine pops out of gear against the jake.  You have to keep pressure on the main box handle.

• Like 1

Larry

It can't be all that difficult to knock the guts out of an OB can and convert it to dry filter as long as a filter is available that fits. A bit small would be manageable, too big would be a deal breaker though. To me, it is like Model A ford guys converting their cars to 12 volt. I see nothing wrong with 6 volt, in fact, it adds to the experience. Converting from OB to dry would have no affect on "the experience" of driving the B61 (that I can think of) but am not sure I understand the desire (unless, of course the engine is sucking the oil out of the filter). I have read in the past that OB filter do a better job of filtering than dry paper filters. I do not know if there is any validity to that or not but is moot in my case as I will not be driving in extreme (or even minor) dusty conditions anyways. 

• Like 2

Larry, I got done getting things all squared away and my duplex would jump out of 4th or 5th I can't remember now, and I went looking for a twin stick I wanted a 20 speed, but I found the triplex and it is ok. I actually like this trans better than the 4x4 I had in my Autocar. Licensed to kill we belong on the model a site and I did the 12-volt thing because I put the heater in my cab and 12 volt was half as much as 6volt. I figure I was pulling more air through the air cleaner, and I figured the dry type would help out.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

ThanksVlad and Bob it’s a work in progress next project I want to do is gut the oil bath filter add a dry element and add a chrome riser pipe to it and get rid of the old oil filter housing and I got a spin on filter assembly with a bypass built in so it’s a little cleaner under the hood

Thanks Harry I think on the air cleaner if I gut it block off where the dirty air comes in on the back and seal it up then cut a hole it the top mount a pipe through it then get a filter that will slide and seal on the pipe so dirty air will come in the middle of the filter and clean will be on the out side 

• Like 1

Thanks skydog I would like to but it’s a little far for me and with the little one it would be a tough trip I hope to make it out there when he’s a little older and the wife and I have a better schedule