So here it is.  I know a lot of people aren't too happy to see a "Slime green Dripoit" in a B, but I have my reasons.  None of them are hauling 20 ton up Mt Everest or winning the Indy 500.  Just love the sound of a Detroit and the look of a B-Model.  Had to get pretty creative with the drivers side engine mount.  The steering box was in the way. So i built a engine mount that brings the Detroit mount forward 4".  Then I had to make a frame mount that could "Sqeeze" back under the steering box as far back as possible.  My first attempt I tried using the stock Mack frame mounts.  Even using my homemade engine mounts (reversed side to side from the picture) they would not bring the engine forward enough to clear the firewall or allow an exhaust manifold to be installed in any direction. This was the best solution I could figure out. Exhaust manifold will still be tricky.  I have built the other side frame mount and I am able to use the stock Detroit Engine mount(Sorry no pic it was late last night when I got it built and the paint was drying".   Now to the cradle front mount... 

384368016_20210503_1904481.jpg

20210503_190654[1].jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, james j neiweem said:

Will a 6-71 or a 6-110 fit in a B? 6-110 is only 660 cu.in which is.   less than a 673. Side supercharger may be an issue.

Seen a couple of 6-71 Detroit engines in a B-61 chassis several years ago. Never worked with them, just knew the owners and both were transplants.

Also have seen a 6V-71 installed into a B-61 and it took little modification to be a slip fit.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Seen a couple of 6-71 Detroit engines in a B-61 chassis several years ago. Never worked with them, just knew the owners and both were transplants.

Also have seen a 6V-71 installed into a B-61 and it took little modification to be a slip fit.

Yes with a doghouse or nose extension it will fit.  I didn't want to modify the look or make a dog house.  Could have put in a 6v71 but couldn't find one when I got the 6v53.  I now know where there is a 6v71.

If I were going to go with a V6 Detroit Diesel it would be a 6V-92TA as they will deliver the power and longevity required not requiring and air to air intercooler. The package is no larger than a 6V-71 but just a bit taller citing turbocharger installation. However It would be a problem to access the parts driven from the rear of the engine with it in the chassis without a doghouse. Power steering pump, alternator, (many times) air compressor, and near anything ancillary. With fabrication these can be easily driven from the front but it may get crowded.

Lots of versatility in a Detroit Diesel for sure.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Here's a Discussion We had a couple of Years ago about an Australian  8V71 powered B Model..

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

A fella by the name of Trevor Ralls from Trafalgar Victoria Australia had a B61 tipper with a 671 and a B something with the aluminium cast radiator with a 871 on float work

Both fitted with standard bonnets and both still had the quad box

Paul

8 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

A fella by the name of Trevor Ralls from Trafalgar Victoria Australia had a B61 tipper with a 671 and a B something with the aluminium cast radiator with a 871 on float work

Both fitted with standard bonnets and both still had the quad box

Paul

I have ridden around in the 871 when they shifted gear for me 30 years ago

The tipper was always zooming about have been up close and personal with it plenty of times 

I have seen photos of both of these on the internet so with some time and searching I could probably track them down

Paul

Edited by mrsmackpaul

On 5/6/2021 at 1:44 PM, teched said:

Thanks!  How did they do the exhaust manifold on the drivers side.  My stock one will run right into the steering box.

The truck is an hour a way in Ocala.  This is the only photo of the drivers side engine compartment that I could find.  Full disclosure, I am nearly positive this motor came out of a front end loader or dump truck that was wrecked.  The Borough of Gettysburg did the work in house but those folks are long gone.  It was done in the late '70's  early '80's.  I was active in the FD from 1996-2000 and purchased the truck in 2005 or so.  It'll be some time before I can get to Ocala, so this pic is all I've got to share.  I do not recall there being any custom welds or modifications on the exhaust manifold.

B85F Engine.jpg

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

29 minutes ago, General Ike said:

The truck is an hour a way in Ocala.  This is the only photo of the drivers side engine compartment that I could find.  Full disclosure, I am nearly positive this motor came out of a front end loader or dump truck that was wrecked.  The Borough of Gettysburg did the work in house but those folks are long gone.  It was done in the late '70's  early '80's.  I was active in the FD from 1996-2000 and purchased the truck in 2005 or so.  It'll be some time before I can get to Ocala, so this pic is all I've got to share.  I do not recall there being any custom welds or modifications on the exhaust manifold.

B85F Engine.jpg

Thank you for the Info.  I think I have mounted about where yours is.  Looks like your exhaust runs forward.  My truck in Non-Turbo so i think I should send it out the back.  If I can make a 45 degree bend about an inch from the manifold clamp...I think I can get it.  Thanks for the pic.  If you ever get up that way and want to snap a few pics I would love to add them to my posts.  Just for other weirdos putting Detroit's in B-Models.

• Haha 1