1980 U685ST restore

8 minutes ago, 85snowdog said:

I agree with Terry, the bottle is for an alcohol  evaporator. I can't see you will need it . Unless you will be using it in the winter. 

As for the lights , The left toggle operates only the 2 outside cab lights. the right toggle either up or down will work the 3 middle cab lights.

On the subject of lights. Don't rip apart everything if the brake lights stay on. They should be on when the parking brakes are set. they should come off when you release the brakes. If they don't come off ,check the hand valve first . You probably know this already. But just in case . 

I did not know that. Thank you sir. I could see me chasing the rabbit lol

yup. a way we used to get rid of tailgaters back in the good old truck days was turn off the key and stab the brakes. 

i do not recommend doing this these days, back then we were young and stupid. 

but after two or three times running up under the truck they got the message and would back off. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Dumb Butt question to add to the confusion!!! Do the trailer marker lights operate on the headlight switch or the switch for the outside 2 cab lights?????? I can NOT remember, My R model Days were in the early 70's!! An we had that blinker switch up on top of the left end of the dash. I remember it blinked high beams but cannot remember about the trailer lights???

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 1

Brocky

6 hours ago, Brocky said:

An we had that blinker switch up on top of the left end of the dash. I remember it blinked high beams but cannot remember about the trailer lights???

Push it forward and it flashed the lights on high beam.  Pull it back and it flashed the trailer lights if you were running with them on, or cut them off if you were running with them on.  They had that switch since at least the 60's and I always thought it was a great idea.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So im curious about the value of this truck. Ill share what I paid after I hear your input. This isnt a trap, but I bought this off a neighboring farmer as a project I can restore with my kids. We have other modern trucks to handle the grain hauling. Although after I go through the truck I may take a load or two to the mill just to give everyone something to talk about.

Anyways, someone today suggested I way underpaid and now im questioning if I took advantage of someone unknowingly. 

Truck is not for sale. I am very new to buying old trucks for the purpose of restoring. And brand new to Mack.

Thanks for any input.

between $5,000 and $20,000.

hard to say really, because something for sale is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to sell for. 

i saw a guy pay $110,000 for a buick grand national because he HAD TO HAVE IT.

it was not for sale. but he had to have it and when his offer hit 110 grand, he was told sold. 

on the same lines, i bought a 97 Ford F-350 4X4 diesel for $400. all it needed was tires and two fuel tanks. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Its been said many times on here, " its worth what someone will pay "  .  I agree with this. Someone may want a U model more than others , so willing to pay for it. Just like tjc transport said .

That being said. I think  $4500 would be a fair starting price and then go up . In my neck of the woods.  

• Like 1

Keith 

Oh sorry... meant to disclose that in my thank you post.

I paid $2500 and they were even nice enough to drive it out to my farm since I couldnt get off work before it got dark. I didnt want to try to drive it to the farm after dark just incase I did have issues. It had sat for seven years. Put new fuel lines and new batteries in her and she drove all the way to the farm with no issues. 

I felt like it was a good deal. He was happy to get rid of it. They were only selling it since it was sitting. No power steering and his bad shoulders talked him into parking it and buying a different truck seven years ago.

I understand value is based on what someone is willing to pay. He posted it on market place and since I know them personally he gave me first shot at buying it. I didnt barter, just paid him asking as I thought it was fair. But there was nothing to really compare it to. I discovered all of you after the purchase.

Its a perfect project for my kids and I. Now if I can get my hands on a clean superliner.... now thats my personal dream truck.

Edited by deadparrot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark T said:

I wouldn't feel like you cheated the guy. Believe it or not (lol)  not everyone feels the same about old trucks.  Most on here would consider that truck a sweet  find..... but some guys check out what they're worth as  scrap 😲  What you paid is probably around what it'd scrap for ( depending on scrap prices )    Guy's probably happy to get what he's satisfied with, you're happy to have the truck, and I'd bet lots of guys here are happy it didn't get scrapped.   That's a nice U

Its funny you say the previous owner is happy. He was happy to sell it and that I was going to restore it. It was their workhorse for a long time. 

However, his hired hand that does most of the driving (hauling grain and farm stuff) said "im just glad its gone so I never have to drive that POS again."... I can only imagine what its like driving it all day with no power steering giving the slow speed maneuvering we do around grain bins and such with old farms not designed for big trucks. Eye of the beholder for sure. I got a good chuckle. Now he is forced to drive loaded w900's with enough lights to land an airplane. :)

On 2/9/2021 at 11:45 AM, deadparrot said:

Its a perfect project for my kids and I. Now if I can get my hands on a clean superliner.... now thats my personal dream truck.

What part of Ohio are you in? I'm in Johnstown...a lot of the farmers in my neighborhood have R models and Superliners, but no U models.