1980 U685ST restore

Thanks for sharing pics with us. 

I can't believe how solid it looks . There is new trucks roaming the roads in my part of the world that have rustier frames. Im a little envious. 

Hopefully someone will chime in if I'm wrong..... but I believe with the 3 similar oil filters it is an extended service interval (ESI) engine. So it would hold 58.5 quarts. The smaller oil pans hold 33.5 quarts . You will know by how much comes out. Make sure you have a big enough drain pan. lol  

For your fan belts , I would take the old ones to a good automotive parts dealer and let them measure them. 

Please keep us posted 

• Like 1

Keith 

Good luck with your U model. According to your photos it appears it might be a E-6 Maxidyne with extended service capacity. Does it have a 5 speed or 6 speed 2 stick transmission? I'm envious and sorry that It is not in my yard. I hope you have fun with her.

• Like 1

It is a 5 speed.

The oil pan lookd huge compared to our other modern rigs. I was surprised to see three filters and just figured it was a Mack think. The WIX filters on here all have same part number.

She is super clean. Even under the mats in the cab there is no rust. Frame looks damn near new. It has spent its years of service hauling chemical tanks for farm field spraying. I doubt its ever seen the salty roads or snow for that matter considering that farm work is seasonal.

Thanks guys.

Edited by deadparrot

Guys I work at a CaseIH dealership in the parts department. So I have access to our bulk oil, our No. 1 oil is 15w40. I sell a lot of it to customers for their semis. I cant seem to find anything on what weight oil I need and if there is anything special I need to consider. 

Yes, still looking for proper service books so I can avoid these questions. Im just excited to get a full service done.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, deadparrot said:

Should of seen me at the first right turn at a stop sign. Needless to say I was not ready for how slow she turns from a stop LOL... by the time I got her in the right direction you would of thought I was make a wide right turn for a 53 foot van behind me, not bobtail. I did get a thumbs up from a neighbor who runs two old Petes who later sent me a text "finally got a real truck?" as a way to mock our Freightliner Columbia grain tractors :)

Honestly the biggest issue I have with no power steering isnt the lack of power assist, but that my mid section is on the big side and with this stock seat and no tilt wheel im fighting the manual steering and wheel rubbing my belly! LOL a bit tight for me but still fun. I may get creative with a new air seat but that wont really help for room. And a smaller steering wheel could help for room but clearly make steering worse. 

I could loose weight.... Maybe someone has a reasonable solution? :)

Just in case you didn't know , the steering column slides in and out to allow room. There is a lock handle on the right side of the column . Push the handle down to unlock .  You may already know but just in case you didn't . 

My experience with aftermarket seats has been they take up more room than the factory seats.Giving you even less room. But I'm sure there is better seats out there and hopefully someone will chime in with good alternatives or ideas for you. 

• Like 1

Keith 

4 hours ago, deadparrot said:

It is a 5 speed.

The oil pan lookd huge compared to our other modern rigs. I was surprised to see three filters and just figured it was a Mack think. The WIX filters on here all have same part number.

She is super clean. Even under the mats in the cab there is no rust. Frame looks damn near new. It has spent its years of service hauling chemical tanks for farm field spraying. I doubt its ever seen the salty roads or snow for that matter considering that farm work is seasonal.

Thanks guys.

For sure-aside from the intact tilt hood, the frame for sure caught my eye.  what is with the red engine color?

Good find! good luck with it.😎

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

For sure-aside from the intact tilt hood, the frame for sure caught my eye.  what is with the red engine color?

Good find! good luck with it.😎

is it not suppose to be red? i assumed that was how it was built. 

6 minutes ago, RRJordan said:

When the topic of steering comes up, I think of the very overloaded LF ten wheel dump I drove a bit in the '50s.  For city turns you could gear way down, let her crawl,  and stand up in the cab to get your back into it.  I was a skinny kid.

during harvest we can be behind the wheels for well past 24 hours if the weather holds... my respect for anyone one who managed that with no power steering.

thats a big part of me selecting this rig. i am blessed to work with and around many old timers and their stories, my grandfather being one of them. he goes back far enough that horses is where he started. 

he told the story of his first big truck he had and how he would go to somewhere to get coal for heating. apparently there was a steep grade down the pit to get loaded. he said you learned to carry blocks of wood with you because on the way back up out of the pit if you missed a gear or for whatever reason had to stop, your brakes wouldnt be able to hold the truck. so youd have to jump out and chalk the wheels.

hence the start of my love for old trucks.

• Like 1

Here are a few questions I have if anyone can assist.

This white canister is plastic, and real brittle at this point. Its directly behind the passenger side fuel tank on outer side of frame rail. No lines going to it that I can find. What is it and do I need it?

Also, on the control panel I have a switch that reads CL LPS. Clearance Lamps? I assume this is for the five lights on top of cab. They dont turn on by the switch, nor do they turn on with any of the other switches. Just need to know so I know where to start with this repair if it is clearance lights.

Thanks guys/girls.

20210126_174116.jpg

20210126_174203.jpg

Edited by deadparrot

22 minutes ago, deadparrot said:

Just the two outside ones? What about the middle one? Mine has 5 total.

they should be on the park and headlight, as far as the plastic bottle, may have been part of a alcohol evaporator kit that put alcohol in your air brakes to help prevent freeze ups.    terry :MackLogo:

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 3:27 PM, 85snowdog said:

Thanks for sharing pics with us. 

I can't believe how solid it looks . There is new trucks roaming the roads in my part of the world that have rustier frames. Im a little envious. 

Hopefully someone will chime in if I'm wrong..... but I believe with the 3 similar oil filters it is an extended service interval (ESI) engine. So it would hold 58.5 quarts. The smaller oil pans hold 33.5 quarts . You will know by how much comes out. Make sure you have a big enough drain pan. lol  

For your fan belts , I would take the old ones to a good automotive parts dealer and let them measure them. 

Please keep us posted 

Imperial quart's ?

Ed

40 minutes ago, blackdog2 said:

Imperial quart's ?

Sorry, wasn't specific.  The oil capacities I mentioned are US liquid quarts. They are out of a Mack Maintenance and lubrication book .  

I should also mention , that included filters.  

Keith 

1 hour ago, deadparrot said:

Just the two outside ones? What about the middle one? Mine has 5 total.

I agree with Terry, the bottle is for an alcohol  evaporator. I can't see you will need it . Unless you will be using it in the winter. 

As for the lights , The left toggle operates only the 2 outside cab lights. the right toggle either up or down will work the 3 middle cab lights.

On the subject of lights. Don't rip apart everything if the brake lights stay on. They should be on when the parking brakes are set. they should come off when you release the brakes. If they don't come off ,check the hand valve first . You probably know this already. But just in case . 

• Like 1

Keith