More Old International...BUSES!

doubleclutchinweasel

Remember back when high school kids drove school buses?

This is one of the ones I drove when I was in high school.  Old #28.  I think this was from my junior year.  Might've been me in there...I can't tell.  I did have that route for a while.  V-8 powered, with a 5-speed manual (4 + a granny gear). Those old I-H V-8s had a different sound to them.  I believe it was a 345" motor.  Does that sound right?  I guess this is the same nose sheet metal as a Loadstar.  I believe this was just before we replaced that bus with a new International with an Allison automatic in it.  Things were never the same after that!

We had 2 of these (#7 & #28), along with a variety of Fords and Chevys.  The Internationals had a shorter wheelbase and more rear overhang.  They also steered tighter than the others.  Made them much easier to maneuver on some of the tighter back roads we had to travel.  This particular one's route had a turn-around at the end of a dirt road.  Pretty tight.  Several little branches ran across that road.  Was a real mess when it rained!

We had another one (a 1968 activity bus) that only had a rev limiter...no road governor.  My neighbor was the football coach and he kept it at his house.  They got it the year I started school.  Drove that one many a time...many years later.

Good times...

image.png.5a6e52f3748bd936b790c27eed9ea884.png

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Never had kids driving buses when I was in school, but remember the old stick shift buses and this one small hill that a new driver couldn't get the bus started on.  Oh, the fun days.

345 CI was it.  They made 304, 345, 392's for most applications(at least for light/med duty).  My '72 1210 pickup had a 345/4 spd in it.  Ex township road dept truck.  Beat to pieces, got it at auction for $150 but was my first truck so I thought it was cool.  I have a couple pictures of me working on it(did that a LOT).  It would pass everything but a gas station.  I think just starting it took 1/8 tank of fuel!!!

Good friend in school had a few Internationals, his last was a '72 1210 4wd stepside, 392/4bbl, 4 spd.  His dad had a few Travelalls growing up.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Good times...

image.png.5a6e52f3748bd936b790c27eed9ea884.png

That looks like it would be about a '68 +/-. My first driving job was plowing for a contractor for the state of NH. lt was a six wheel dump with a gas motor. l remember it said "Much l do" across the hood. Lived in Mass but had to have a NH license to work for the state. So.....l had two, one from Mass (Class 3?) and the second from NH (Light commercial) with a Mass address on it! Try that today!    .....Hippy 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

That looks like it would be about a '68 +/-. My first driving job was plowing for a contractor for the state of NH. lt was a six wheel dump with a gas motor. l remember it said "Much l do" across the hood. Lived in Mass but had to have a NH license to work for the state. So.....l had two, one from Mass (Class 3?) and the second from NH (Light commercial) with a Mass address on it! Try that today!    .....Hippy 

I think they bought those 2 buses in my 1st or 2nd grade year.  So, yes, they should be about '68 models, give or take a year.  I always thought it was funny that I drove buses that were new when I first started school.  Of course, when you are that age, 10-12 years seems like a LOOOONNNG time.  I mean, that IS a major percentage of your entire life!

• 1 month later...

Sorry,,,, missed this one somehow busses always catch my attention always thought they were way cool..... not sure if this is why,,, but my mom drove a school bus 1965-1970 .... her first one was a 63 GMC sorry no still photos but I do have movies of her in it ... bob

1 hour ago, carlotpilot said:

who on here is old enough to remember seeing school bus chassis being driven on the highway from the mfg. to the body installers place of business? no cab only a temp seat and half a windshield

Yep, remember them Well. & in the Winter time All rugged up & wearing a raincoat.

No half Windscreen down here.. Most of 'em wore a Motor bike Helmut to keep the bugs out of their eyes..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

7 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

who on here is old enough to remember seeing school bus chassis being driven on the highway from the mfg. to the body installers place of business? no cab only a temp seat and half a windshield

Yep.  Remember it well. 

Thomas Built Buses had facilities in High Point, NC.  Blue Bird had facilities somewhere in GA.  So, we saw a lot of chassis and new finished buses in this area.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:39 PM, 70mackMB said:

My first trucking job... nissens bakery,,they never even asked me for my license till I was already hired and working.... as you mentioned,, try that these days ... bob

23 minutes ago, mowerman said:

I never heard of students driving busses either... but like someone mentioned..... people weren’t such idiots years ago... bob

Probably did not happen in every state.  Where I grew up, it was a normal thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2020 at 1:16 PM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Probably did not happen in every state.  Where I grew up, it was a normal thing.

A lot of students drove the busses when I was in school too. And most of them were Internationals, a good many of them were anyway, including old number 8 that I rode. It looked kind of like this one.

62wayne.jpg.4ca43249c121e1d767753b5a3ccb6ade.jpg

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Miami Cossack said:

Those old gas engines timed off number 8 instead number one. Was fun watching new guys get them running if they didn't know

As long as you have firing order, I don’t see the problem. 

Edited by 1965