Thought I would start something different.  The trailers I used to pull were from Hyster.  They looked very similar to the one shown below, which was an old listing on truckpaper.com.  Some of the others were from Phelan.  But, the Hysters seemed to be more common around home.  We had these in 2- and 3-axle versions.  All were fixed-neck, with the dovetail rear to load over.  None of ours had the ramps like the one shown.  Nobody in our area had detachable, or even folding, necks on their lowboys.

Some outfits that had smaller equipment had the flat-floor (single-drop) versions of these.  But, all the ones I hung around were the recessed-floor (double-drop) versions to allow for more under-bridge clearance.  Still higher off the ground than the modern stuff!

I don't know when Hyster stopped making these.  Anybody know?  But, almost every Mack running around in our neck of the woods was pulling something that looked a whole lot like this.

Any of you guys got any old pictures of these old buzzards?  I'd sure like to see some of this old iron.

Oops. I meant to put this in the equipment forum.  Sorry about that.

1973 HYSTER 50 TON LOWBOY EQUIPMENT TRAILER For Sale In Cassville ...

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
  • Like 2

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I don't ever recall seeing the Hyster brand of trailer in Australia, there Hyster fork lift trucks, Hyster winches and no doubt other types of Hyster gear

Most floats or low loaders were of the style in the photo, fixed goose neck and load over the rear

I dont really recall seeing ramps on trailers until the 80's

All Australian floats had out riggers until the widening trailers came about and I reckon Drake were the first

Almost all low loader trailers of say 20 years and newer are either full widening  or deck widening type 

Swishy knows a lot more about this stuff than me as it's in his line of work

Paul 

6 hours ago, Swishy said:

Mrs m80

we have a hyster from the l8 50's it twaz the 1st folding gooseneck in Au

with our strict length laws way back wen meant we could only get away with a 14 foot deck length 

to run 24/7

soon as me WEb host site puts me back 2 gether eye'll bung a cupla pix

until then cop this

http://forums.aths.org/PrintTopic158447.aspx

cya

That was pretty cool.

Mrs

m80

wen the ol fella got the Hyster folder he could see the potential and demand as it was workin daylight to dark 6 days a week n then sum

he trottd round to the local trailer maker  STECO on Bells St Preston n got m to copy it

n the rest is history

STECO lost the plot wen they designed the float for military

tryn to force th@ design on everybody wantn a folda

FFS just look @ the RSend height of those military pix u bungd up

we have 7 folders nun R Steco now

cya

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Swishy said:

Mrs

m80

wen the ol fella got the Hyster folder he could see the potential and demand as it was workin daylight to dark 6 days a week n then sum

he trottd round to the local trailer maker  STECO on Bells St Preston n got m to copy it

n the rest is history

STECO lost the plot wen they designed the float for military

tryn to force th@ design on everybody wantn a folda

FFS just look @ the RSend height of those military pix u bungd up

we have 7 folders nun R Steco now

cya

Thought that neck design looked a bit like the Hyster version...

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

lotta side money to be made,,,there,,,,hadnt thought of that,,,,,used drop deck and a winch,,,,,great for retreiving off road treasures for people .....might be a great idea for retirement job.lol.bob

I told you before; You're too young to retire!