Aussie Truckin' Pics..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Hmnn-think the drives might be a little overweight??😎

The whole thing'd be overweight...

A bare D7G weighs 44,600lbs add the Scrub Canopy & Blade . You're at 50,000lbs (or more) They'd be Grossing at least 135,000lbs I would Think..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

9 hours ago, Hayseed said:

A bare D7G weighs 44,600lbs add the Scrub Canopy & Blade . You're at 50,000lbs (or more) They'd be Grossing at least 135,000lbs I would Think..

I thinl it would be every bit of that and fare bit more 

Paul 

10 hours ago, Hayseed said:

OH no argument. I was just looking at those tandems on that corn binder. No need for power steering though😃.  But I  look at the new low boy trailers that are currently listed for sale at dealers here in New England.  Tri axles the majority and seems most have provisions for jeeps, fourth axle etc etc.  Then a lot of tractors are triaxles. 

I look at "old days" photos......Single axle AC  pulling a tandem trailer with a huge Northwest sitting on deck😎.  But again the hauling equipment keeps pace with the equipment they are expected to haul.

I was remembering a Popular Science mag article when I was a kid on the newest big Cat- I think it was a D-8 ...225HP!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2021 at 11:50 PM, Red Horse said:

Wow-any clue on distance of the  haul?  Any clue as to  how many man hours it takes just to remove the boom/bucket?

I found the Pic on an Australian heavy haul page.. I think It was an Internal site transfer on a Mining Lease.

They mentioned that; the Gross Weight was 670 metric Tonnes..

I've NFI on your manhour Question.. Sorry.

• Like 1

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I found the Pic on an Australian heavy haul page.. I think It was an Internal site transfer on a Mining Lease.

They mentioned that; the Gross Weight was 670 metric Tonnes..

I've NFI on your manhour Question.. Sorry.

Thx- I was just thinking that getting th boom, dipper and bucket off as a unit would have to take a huge amount of weight off-which would lead to fewer tractors and axles?????

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, FarNorth said:

I wonder how the air cooled engines worked out?

The Osterman Diamond REO Giant built in Carlisle PA used a lot of them until they could not meet EPA emissions tests. There may still be a few scattered around central PA??

• Like 2

Brocky

there are still a few deutz diesel powered diamond reo "ainteaters" running the road here in joisey. 

but it seems like each year i see fewer and fewer. i only recall seeing one this year running. there is a recycling yard in kearney that had 3 a few years ago for sale. i have not been there in a while, so i don't know if they were parted out or exported as he sells A LOT of older trucks and machinery to overseas buyers.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

6 hours ago, FarNorth said:

They worked fine in hot climates and cold, they certainly were well regarded in Australia by most that had them, from what little I know the biggest issue was dirt and dust build up on the fines etc towards the rear of the motor

If kept clean like any cooling system they were a million mile motor,  the diffs seamed to be a common weak point

Paul 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FarNorth said:

They worked out Pretty Good..

They were BIG power in there Day.. Only thing was you HAD to idle them down properly or they'd grab a Piston..

Most owner Drivers used to carry a Spare Barrell Piston & head with them all Loaded up. they had access hatchs to the Crank & you could change a Barrell ect. over in 20(or so) minutes I've been Told..

• Like 2

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Thanks for the interesting info/comments about the engines.

The only ones I remember being  around were on pumps,welders,etc, up to a 6cyl turbocharged.

Always thought they were a good engine.

Never saw one in a truck.

I seem to recall reading in a service manual, (GM medium duty) must have been in the '80s?, a section,that

showed a truck application, very different.  Never saw one, don't know if they ever built any.

Maybe someone knows if my recollection is correct?

Edited by FarNorth

On 10/6/2021 at 10:42 PM, Red Horse said:

Thx- I was just thinking that getting th boom, dipper and bucket off as a unit would have to take a huge amount of weight off-which would lead to fewer tractors and axles?????

I know I’m late to the discussion, but I’m pretty confident that a mine that is running a hoe of that size knows their costs down to the pennies on a move like this.  Breaking down a machine to smaller loads/reassembly takes the machine out of production longer.  If you move it in one piece it’s ready to go to work as soon as it’s off the trailer. 

• Like 1