Old diesel fuel versus low sulphur fuel

was sitting here wondering does the low sulphur fuel do anything to the old pre L/S engines? Do you have to add anything to the fuel now for the older engines? And I bet the bio-fuel is another question all together.   terry:MackLogo:

I had one customer with a V-Mac II come in during the LS transition with a failing injection pump. I had it staged to R&R over to K&S Fuel for a rebuild, he didn't come back for 6 months. When he finally came back for other work I hit him up to find out what was shaking. He had started adding lubricant to the fuel and said the rack stick went away. That's the only instance.

Once I drank a pot of coffee and read through the most boring engineer interpretation I could find on composition of Low Sulfur fuel. It acknowledged the fuel has been "dried" from the process and mentioned lubricity additions to the fuel (per manufacturer) as compensation to make up for the anemic lubrication character.

There was a pretty good article out there somewhere about a study on the lubricity of the various fuel additives.  Was fairly well done.  It showed what additives worked, which ones didn't really help, and what additives actually made the lubricity worse.

Here is one report on it, but not the one I was looking for:

https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

This looks like the same info:

https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/lubricity-additive-study-results.177728/

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

1 hour ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Cheapie 2 stroke oil that you buy in gallons works like a champ too. It also smells nice. Trans fluid is cheap and easy to get.

I ran this in the old R before I got the XPD.  It actually does help lubricity a good bit.  It actually ranked fairly high in the aforementioned study (see note below).

7)Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
$1.09/tank

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Apparently we have had ultra low sulphur diesel in Australia since 2009, I  had no idea what you blokes are even talking about so had to do some googling 

Long and the short of it is that I have never had a drama and dont know of anyone having dramas 

I have  never added anything but just straight diesel to the tanks and have never had a issue

A bit like ethanol ULP, thats all I use and I add nothing and dont have any dramas even in small petrol engines

So either Im the luckiest man alive or other people get caught up in the B.S. 

Paul 

• Like 2

About 10 years ago we had I recall E10 petrol fuel (gasoline) over here which had some bio additive, not sure, it was strongly promoted as the way to for our petrol motors. So I started using it in our Toyota Prado 4 litre V6. Some 6 months later motor would not start, the engine sounded like it was choking. I rang the service manager at our local Toyota yard. First question - what fuel are you using, I said E10. His reply was - never use it again, put in 10-20 litres of 98 fuel and a bottle of injector additive and try kicking over the engine without actually starting the motor 3-4 times and then try start it, let it run for 1/2 hour stationary. It fired up after 3 key turns, the motor was rough for about 30 minutes and slowly it began to settle down.

The service manager said the E10 slowly builds up like a glue and blocks the injectors and fuel pump, just keep topping up with 98 and add 1 bottle of fuel additive/cleaner weekly for next 3 weeks to clean out the crap. And continue using 98 fuel, which I have and thereafter motor has run perfectly, and more power and better fuel range than 95 and 92. 

We have hydrogen mixing with the diesel fuel in our E6 - 350, runs like a Swiss watch and reduces emissions 75-80%, plus the increased torque, up to 25% and clean engine. We planned to add LPG, but rules and regs to hard and the Mack technical guys told me their experience during early 1980's in new Ultraliners LPG was causing burn't valves and pistons, hence they removed the LPG set ups. No problems with the hydrogen and cheap to buy or make distilled water. One litre of distilled water creates hydrogen for 1,000 klms.

Their was a man in the news here in the states that made a car run in hydrogen from water. Met with government officials at a restaurant, and ran choking out of it saying they poisoned me and he died. Legit story I’m guessing with lots of lobbyist behind it. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

1 hour ago, HeavyGunner said:

Their was a man in the news here in the states that made a car run in hydrogen from water. Met with government officials at a restaurant, and ran choking out of it saying they poisoned me and he died. Legit story I’m guessing with lots of lobbyist behind it. 

I do recall this and have tried searching for information about the moto6and his conversion 

Not a lot to be found on the interweb

Some sites claim it never ran and he was a con man, others claim he was 100% legit and fuel companies are behind it 

We will never know

Paul 

Look on YouTube and there are some videos of news stories where he shows the care running and drives it with only water coming out of the tail pipe. He even briefly explains how it works if memory serves me. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Been running our 1979 endt676 on pump diesel since the '80s, now into the ULSD were still running it on pump diesel, we don't add anything, just keeps running strong as ever.  Pushing 600k miles, mostly local within a 15 mile radius. Lots of hours per mile, as it's a volumetric concrete mixer.  Truck averages about 4mpg by the end of the year.  My 1995 E7-350 has about 20,300 hours, same deal, but averages 2.5 mpg or less. (Again, it's a volumetric concrete mixer, so it racks up fuel usage on site)

Many trucks on here are hobby trucks and get minimal use, so I'd recommend an algaecide, but that's about it. If you are having problems with your fuel racks sticking then you aren't using your truck enough.  Algae grows in modern biodiesel, after about a year of sitting you'll have floaties causing fuel clogs.

• Like 2