Tranny jack

Hobert62

I know a guy whom did have one of those. It took 17 stitches to close his forehead back up when it let go with a turbo 350 transmission on it.

I'd look at ebay or craigslist for something used like Walker, Hein-Werner, OTC, Weaver, etc. before going with Harbor Freight myself. I have an OTC 5019 and use it often without a fault ever in the past 20 years.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

7 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

I saw them but didn’t think they would be heavy enough.     The tag only says 500 pounds.   That being said I have no idea what the transmissions weigh either.   The first one is only about an hour away

They"ll go double that but all mechanical so keep everything lubed up or it can be difficult. 

The main drawback is the width as not very stable with the trans up high in comparison to the later styles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

They"ll go double that but all mechanical so keep everything lubed up or it can be difficult. 

The main drawback is the width as not very stable with the trans up high in comparison to the later styles. 

Them jacks will get you hurt on big stuff!   terry :MackLogo:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terry said:

Them jacks will get you hurt on big stuff!   terry :MackLogo:

They can if you don't have a good floor. I changed a lot of Mack and Fuller transmissions with mine and never had problems but I built good adapters to bolt to the crossframe on top. Pull a tranny straight back, and drop it low before rolling it out from under the truck.

Here is an OTC as I have now for sale in FL: https://cfl.craigslist.org/bfs/d/venus-heavy-duty-transmission-jack/7075289586.html

Another type in Rochester, NY: https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/d/fairport-mac-tools-transmission-jack/7071714511.html

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

I used a otc jack like the one for sale was very stable with the triplex mounted on it plus i have a finished garage floor. Were i did work i bought a copy of the otc china made it worked good changed some 8 speed trans with it. Got it off cook brothers. I have used 5 or 6 different jacks through out the years and i like the otc style the best.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davehummell said:

I used a otc jack like the one for sale was very stable with the triplex mounted on it plus i have a finished garage floor. Were i did work i bought a copy of the otc china made it worked good changed some 8 speed trans with it. Got it off cook brothers. I have used 5 or 6 different jacks through out the years and i like the otc style the best.

Agree. I've had my OTC since 2000 after purchasing another one repossessed from the Mac tools dealer which I didn't care for. I have the plate shown for Fuller, and Mack adapters for the TR72, T20, TR107 series and it's very stable to use. Been worth the money for me and it's done a couple dozen jobs over the years. Rolls very easily too.

I had good service from that Walker jack that was given to me as a teenager. It was not worn out when I traded it to the Mac man for the replacment that I kept for a couple years before trading it in on the OTC.

If the $$$ can be justified, it, (OTC) IS the one to have in my opinion.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

In 2012 I bought a OTC 2 1/2 ton floor jack. The first use was to support the rear half of a back hoe with the hoe removed. It would not keep the unit up. Most of the weight  was on the rear tires so it would roll to split the tractor. Since I only had the jack for five days they got me a new one. The new one lasted about a year and the same thing. I used it last week to support the right side of a F 100 core support to replace a bushing it would not keep the support up over a few hours to install the bushing. I have never lifted over 1500 lbs with this jack. Looking back I should got  a cheap Harbor Freight one for half the price. Hobert62 I would use the Pittsburgh Automotive jack but just be careful. 

• Like 1

I can justify spending $300-$400 but not $1,000+.   It’s something that hopefully doesn’t get used again for a long time.    I treat tools as a investment.   They will be with me for a long time, and you get what you pay for.  

That being said I’ve had some very good luck with harbor freight tools in the past, and then some that weren’t worth the extra breath it took to open them.     

I’ve had good luck with the pittsburgh jacks from hb & I abuse them & that’s why I buy them, $$$$ and 3miles from me. I’d get the hb 1 & wrap a chain around it good & tight (I use all thread to get tight) & watch & be careful. Especially if you don’t use 1 much. Sure if I found a deal on a good otc I would get it. I’d rather have the cheap hyd. than the manual 1, if not using it much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

Rob what to the adapters do for specific trannys?   I’m guessing they are  made to fit an expat way making it much more  secure to the jack?

Exactly. They fit to cases without any adaption. The Mac Tools jack does look like the one the chinese have copied. There really is little comparison to the seals in the hydraulic jack section which is what you need to hold up.

• Like 1

I helped a man replace a clutch in a oil field truck in the early 80's it was a mid 70's Mack R model with a 12 speed  with 14 x 24 on the steering and 12x24 on the rear it was just to tall for a transmission jack .

We cut wood blocks and cribbed up the transmission and aired up the truck an rolled it ahead replaced every thing and  rolled the truck back on the transmission . it was work but safe .

• Like 2

We have the harbor freight truck trans jack, works well but you may want to make your own deck adapter to hold the transmission. The "safety" chain is a joke, and the 4 angle iron feet that bolt to the deck are slippery.  Jack handle is very nice, it pivots around so you can operate it from almost anywhere.

The jack is also nice to use for spoke hubs.

• Like 1

Two brothers near me had a very well built Hein-Werner trans jack that dated to the late '60s or so.  They ran trucks and equipment out of their shop.  While one brother was cleaning a work bay, he had to make a quick dash to the restroom and the trans jack and some other tools were not yet put away.  The other brother brought a large CAT dozer into the shop and did not see around the blade that the trans jack was still there.  You guessed it, the dozer won and the trans jack was junk.

I believe an OTC replaced it but the brothers always had a "fight" blaming the other and who was at fault.

• Haha 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.