B61 conversion to a pickup truck

Mad dog,

The little B I have is painted Mack green like Tackaberry's.  George sold it to a fellow on Cape  Cod who had it for years.  He had an  electric over hydraulic eight foot landscapers dump body put on the rear.  He had a little accident with it and dented the front fenders and radiator surround.  Sent it back to George to repair, put a patch panel on the bottom of the passenger door and repaint.  At some point he decided to sell it, and I bought it and brought it home last year from Maine.  I pulled the dump off and have a stepside  body going on it like Tack's and the red one.  I am repainting it and freshening it up.  It runs well (5.9 Cummins and automatic) and George put a over,under and direct brownie box behind the auto.  You can pull stumps (or trailers) in underdrive, and in overdrive it will really cruise.  I am 6', 265 pound, but fit in it easier than I do in a regular B model.  Very comfortable, and VERY COOL looking.  People notice it.  I plan on making it my daily driver after repaint.

Re the fenders, he made a lot of cuts and fitting to make them look correct for the smaller tires.  The cab is narrowed 4 inches, and the radiator shroud is also narrowed and chopped a few inches.  The two front running lights were eliminated when narrowed.  The truck is amazingly well proportioned, like 5/8 scale.  George did a wonderful job building  these.  He told me he did six Macks and two Pete's.  I am recovering from surgery right now, but would be glad to share Info on it after I recover.  Send me a PM with your email..I have an integral sleeper I wanted to modify and put on another little B.  The cab is too far gone to restore, but I looked at stretching it and creating a four door.  I have the chassis and everything ready to go.  The amount of money and time it takes is substantial..  I could probably finish it if I live to 150 years.  

• 3 weeks later...

Question:  Would an E7 engine and complimenting tranny (say a Fuller 7- or 10-speed) fit into a B-61 without needing significant alterations?   What barriers or pitfalls should be expected?

Thanks,

DKWIDK (Don’t know what I don’t know)

Mad dog,

Give me some time (4+/- weeks) to finish recovery, and  I will try to get you what I can off my truck.  I had a bad accident, four surgeries, and am now recovering (last nine weeks).  Right now I cannot even get to my shop to take a picture.  I am going crazy sitting still, but nurses and physical therapy just about every day for a little longer.  Send me a PM and I will send info as soon as I can.  Carey

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

thanks in advance for your patience with me.  I’m still trying to work my way through the planning phase.

Here’s a variation of a question I asked about a month ago:  Will an E-7 engine with its turbo plumbing fit onto a B-61 frame (without modifying the bodywork)?  

Thanks very much,

DKWIDK

(Don’t know what I Don’t Know)

I suspect it might, the R model has been used with engines from the same era as the B as well as the E7.  Chassis Mount Charge Air Cooler might not fit though.

Perhaps the R model firewall was altered for the E7, but I'm not sure.  It's only a 1 liter displacement change.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:59 PM, steelman said:

Mad dog,

Give me some time (4+/- weeks) to finish recovery, and  I will try to get you what I can off my truck.  I had a bad accident, four surgeries, and am now recovering (last nine weeks).  Right now I cannot even get to my shop to take a picture.  I am going crazy sitting still, but nurses and physical therapy just about every day for a little longer.  Send me a PM and I will send info as soon as I can.  Carey

Wow that’s messed up just spotted this sorry to hear that ..... bob

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I need your input!!

I’ve come across a ‘56 B model for sale that has a nonturbocharged diesel.  I’m not sure which of the Mack engines it is, but I know it’s a diesel, and it has a Triplex tranny.  The guy that’s selling it knows even less about Macks than I do.  A friend of mine is acting as the buyer because the truck is in another state.  This friend has SOME knowledge of diesels and is a wealth of knowledge in other aspects of older vehicles.

Here’s my question:  Would y’all be able to give me some quick tips of what to look for to pass on to him?  For example, what should the oil pressure be at idle and in the middle of the power band RPM?  What symptoms would be a deal breaker, etc?

This is where I really need to hear from you guys that know these trucks like the backs of your hands. 

Thanks so much,

IDKWIDK (I don’t know what I don’t know)

If the engine is original, it should be a 673, with 160 to 180 hp. For me the deal breaker is excess rust in the cab and sheet metal (or rust that's been covered with bondo). As far as oil pressure, I'll have to let one of the more knowledgeable guys answer that one.

Thanks for the input h67st and Dave.  I appreciate your insight.

Next question:  How hard is it to switch out the differential gears for a taller ratio on an old B- model?  I won’t be pulling a load, and I’d like to see about having a higher top end on the highway.

Thanks!

DKWIDK

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I’m hoping someone might have an answer for 2 questions pertaining to a B model with an END 673 (non-turbo):

1.  The vehicle has been converted into a pickup truck by an unknown previous owner.  I’d like to see about changing out the pinion and ring gears so it can run at highway speeds.  I plan to drive it unloaded, but might occasionally pull a 20’ bass boat unless the esteemed panel recommends I don’t.  Any suggestions for the new ratio and a good way to go about doing this?  I believe it’s a 4.60 rear end now.

2.  Does anyone know the outside dimensions (L x W x H) for the END673?

Thanks very much!

DKWIDK

Ratio of 3.87 or 4.0 with direct trans on 22.5" or 4.17 direct on 24.5" rubber.  Different ratios if you have an OD trans.

43" X 15" X 39" T.  I have already started the long weekend and used my Harbor Freight tape measure so the info is worth exactly what you paid for it.  Didn't help that the bees woke up as the hood was being propped open by my head.  Measurements do not include manifolds, flywheel housing or fan.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2020 at 11:09 PM, DKWIDK said:

JHancock,

Thanks again for more great info!

DKWIDK

Did you ever get any info on DT466 retrofit?  I just picked up a B42 with a junk EN401.  Would like to keep the duplex tranny and just bolt a DT466 in her. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's NOT a Mack Pickup conversion.

But, here's a Nicely Done (apart from the Colour[My Opinion]) Aussie Pickup conversion..

https://www.truckinwithkermie.com/blog/laurie-reads-inter-difference?fbclid=IwAR2BQIDc0VrAek9_gY0fspusRHFlBNHGL74K25AEIR_UGXQXKIZXFhdMWSI

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

7 hours ago, Hayseed said:

It's NOT a Mack Pickup conversion.

But, here's a Nicely Done (apart from the Colour[My Opinion]) Aussie Pickup conversion..

https://www.truckinwithkermie.com/blog/laurie-reads-inter-difference?fbclid=IwAR2BQIDc0VrAek9_gY0fspusRHFlBNHGL74K25AEIR_UGXQXKIZXFhdMWSI

Wow that thing is way cool definitely one of my favorite color is hideous rest of it looks real good...bob

• Like 1