Why so few F models?

I still remember  the day while working at Mack Truck in Waterbury Ct ('69 -'75 ) this beautiful  brand new  burgundy /white  FL700 was delivered. one of a handfull sent through out the US to dealers for  testing. it had the experimental (at the time) 866 engine. as a young kid; I  got to work with mack engineers on tear downs of the engine etc. unfortunately  the truck later on was totaled  in  a major accident.   there weren't  that many people running F-models. Bozzuto's had a fleet of light blue F's. remember when the F's changed style and went from flat back to "bubble back" for more sleeper room. only major user was UPS non-sleeper .did  you know  Mack donated the bulldog on front of UPS trucks. each dog cost X hundreds of trucks; brass  cut cost. one reason you never saw the name mack on front of UPS cabovers, cost (each letter M-A-C-K $$ was figured out) plus they didn't want to advertise  mack.  I remember going into Hartford Mack for what ever reason.  good days gone forever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swishy said:

SMore F

a136-S.JPG

a133-S.JPG

WotSezU?

cya

Swishy mate, don't you have any pics or drawings of how that 2nd steer axle looks and the way it attached to the chassis? Interesting setup but uncommon in the areas I can roam over to put nose into and feed my couriosity. Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know what the production numbers on the all aluminum F model cabs was?

Did a “FL700L” indicate aluminum cab as well as frame rails?

• Like 1

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

Just found this on Wikipedia, but it doesn’t mention anything about the cab now you got me curious I know they did make an R model. Aluminum cab have never heard that about the cab over. Bob

IMG_3226.png

I grew up in the East Coast. I used to see quite a few of those Hayes cabovers the good old days teenage kid I couldn’t wait to start driving those big rigs after 49 years. I can’t wait to get out of them ha ha