Bucky Gets Some New Teeth

j hancock

We have a poulan we bought 5? Years ago? POS.  Carb settings real finicky, fuel lines swell up with local gas, not sure we've gotten 15 minutes of cutting out of the thing in it's life. Replaced it with a Husqvarna, which works pretty good but you gotta grab the throttle pretty much when you pull it to get it to start. And the auto bar oiler seems to have stopped working. Need to check it out.

14 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Doesn’t look like you ever accidentally backed over it in the woods during 38 years? Good job! 

Yup,  always kept track of where it got set down.  A friend made a wheel chock out of Stihl years back....  Oooops!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

We have a poulan we bought 5? Years ago? POS.  Carb settings real finicky, fuel lines swell up with local gas, not sure we've gotten 15 minutes of cutting out of the thing in it's life. Replaced it with a Husqvarna, which works pretty good but you gotta grab the throttle pretty much when you pull it to get it to start. And the auto bar oiler seems to have stopped working. Need to check it out.

Had a little Poulan between 1978-1986 for doing brush.  Ran great and weighed nothing.  Sold it to a fellow that had a tree service.  He used for years running it one handed while working limbs from his bucket truck.  He paid me more for it used than I paid for the saw brand new!

Jim

3 minutes ago, fjh said:

Yup to bad the sweads didn't stick with just saws and sewing machines something they are good at!  But NO  they had to get involved in trucks and equipment too!🙄

I am not too sure about the sawdust board they pass off as furniture at IKEA???

Would take a Scania Truck over the other!

• Like 1

Jim

I've got a vintage Poulan that I got from a friend that past years ago.   Big ol bounder.  Heavy, not something you climb a tree with.  I don't do a thing with it but put a fresh chain on it occasionally.  It starts on about the 3rd pull every time no matter how many years it's been sitting in the shed.  It will wear your back out if you have to man handle it around all day.  But big or small wood, it blows through it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I have two craftsman, Poulon, saws that are about 20 years old. They are good but the chain tensioner sucks. And no vibration dampening gets old.

I now have a 36 volt makita and I like that Saw. No gas, starts instantly and lasts a long time i bought it for the 4 batteries and double charger and basically got the Saw for almost nothing

I had a Homelite XL12 that was about that old, it was great saw, cut tons of firewood with it. I also had a bigger, much heavier Homelite, a 925 that I only used for bigger trees. Unfortunately, they were in the shed when...you know the rest of the story.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

22 hours ago, JoeH said:

I have a Husky that's real finicky to start when it's warm...cold it starts right up. The auto oiler only works about half the time; I will say the thing will cut really nice.

20 hours ago, other dog said:

I had a Homelite XL12 that was about that old, it was great saw, cut tons of firewood with it. I also had a bigger, much heavier Homelite, a 925 that I only used for bigger trees. Unfortunately, they were in the shed when...you know the rest of the story.

the rest of the story...

DSCN6630s.jpg.91e03016b194bceebf832bf2966e8ed4.jpg

there's one of the saws. Pretty sure that's the XL12, it had a 16'' bar, the 925 had a 20'' bar.

DSCN6636.JPG.f8f3e0fe1e7f4c8868610868788d6397.JPG

here's another one. This is the  923 Homelite that I had in there for parts, didn't have a bar and chain on it.

DSCN6644.JPG.a368db5d01edbbd9c802746cc2625537.JPG

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Hope you guys are running non-ethanol gas if you can get it. The corn fuel stuff is murder on small engine fuel systems. 
www.pure-gas.org 

The supply of non-ethanol sometimes can be iffy in my parts.  Knock on wood, I have used lots of "corn" in my two stroke equipment and have never had a fuel related issue.  I always use Stihl 2 cycle engine oil in the fuel mix.

• Like 1

Jim

12 hours ago, other dog said:

the rest of the story...

there's one of the saws. Pretty sure that's the XL12, it had a 16'' bar, the 925 had a 20'' bar.

here's another one. This is the  923 Homelite that I had in there for parts, didn't have a bar and chain on it.

That aluminum really burned up. Do you know what caused the fire?

29 minutes ago, h67st said:

That aluminum really burned up. Do you know what caused the fire?

That one was magnesium, it kept bursting into flames even after the fire department doused it with water and put it out- several times.

The fire was my fault. I was smoking a turkey in this old gas stove that I made into a smoker on Thanksgiving day. It was too close to the shed for one thing, almost right up against it. And I should have raked the dry leaves away from around it and wetted the grass with the water hose, which I usually did but didn't that time, and I should have kept a closer watch on it.

DSCN4309.JPG