9+ MPG Macks

You would think Anthems would be all over the place with these numbers. Took a trip to NH this weekend from CT. Saw may bee 4 Anthems. Very few CH Pinnacles. Lots of Granites.Saw more new Western Stars than Macks. What is up with ABF and UPS. No Anthems. ABF swithed to KW, And UPS to KW,Shaker and IH. Those new UPS shakers look like they can be bought at bargain discounts

Edited by james j neiweem

I've seen a few anthems around the Bucks County PA area. Single axle box trucks, tractors, etc. Not a terrible looking truck, haven't spent much time looking at them to decide if I like them. Mack is a day late and a dollar short on 9mpg trucks, IMO. What you save on fuel you spend on injector cups because I'm sure they still haven't reengineered that...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

I see tons of anthems in MN. Even a lot of day daycab ones. I remember when they rolled out the vision you couldn't get a daycab for a couple years. 

Around here here, we were told you could not get Mack rears or trans in the Visions for a few years after they came out. 

I've been looking to get an Anthem day cab. Decided I'm not leaving my kids anything but receipts. Spec'd out most everything I wanted. Asked the salesman at Excel in Va. a few questions and got vague answers.  Asked what the heaviest chassis available is and asked the differences between the seven different MP7 engines and the eight different MP8 engines. I know some with the letter 'C' are California spec but wanted to know what the 'A' ,  'E' , 'SE' , 'SE-HE' engines are. Sales man suggested the 5050 h.p. engine and the M drive was what everybody buys so get that. Hope thats not all the dealers attitude.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 minutes ago, storkmack said:

Around here here, we were told you could not get Mack rears or trans in the Visions for a few years after they came out. 

Yeah Excel told me no Mack 65,000 dual reduction rears on Camel Back and no Maxi Torgue  so I asked why is it in the brochure and web site? " That doesn't mean it's available" HUH?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Well for the negativity from people (me included) about these newer types of trucks, it appears that I will have to eat humble pie

I wonder what the figures on Australian Macks like the Trident (have had a hard on for one of these for some time) as theu certainly would out pull the old coolpower 320 and be a lot more comfortable 

Paul 

9 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Yeah Excel told me no Mack 65,000 dual reduction rears on Camel Back and no Maxi Torgue  so I asked why is it in the brochure and web site? " That doesn't mean it's available" HUH?

Same business with the "Vision Programmable Dash". Mack made the claim you would be able to position your gauge cluster in any configuration and program the cluster accordingly. So any same size gauge could be placed in any like-sized hole on the panel. They never followed through...…….or maybe...… it's the stuff of urban legends dreamed up by factory trainers (who told me) and/or the sales staff.

• Like 1

I suspect you have to move beyond the dealer and cultivate some factory contacts to get what you want. Joel's company buys a lot of new trucks so they have some bargaining power, and Jamie only has a handful of trucks but he lucked out and found a sympathetic soul at the Mack display at a truck show who took his request seriously. Jamie may have been able to coattail on the development work for Joel's Anthem, IIRC both their trucks were built on the same day. Jamie is contracted to a big fleet that buys a lot of new trucks and Mack may have wanted to expose them to the Anthem's incredible efficiency potential.

• Like 1

I'm thinking if I have to jump through hoops just to try and get what I want than what will be the act to get warranty and general support? Brand loyalty be damned I'll be talking to Autocar tomorrow.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Get a number from Autocar and then tell the Mack salesman the number and specs and see if he actually wants to sell you a truck or if he's wasting your time. Best thing to do is get a salesman to think you're angry with him for wasting your time. 

Guy (Mike) I bought my used pickup from did that for his wife's car. He told the salesman what they could afford per month, then the salesman took them around the lot for a while trying to upsell them. Finally, Mike chastised the salesman pretty well for wasting his time: he had said at the outset what he could afford, and the salesman kept showing him cars he "couldn't" afford, so Mike got himself a good deal. (May have been a few customers around to "eavesdrop" on the chastisement. Nothing like that to get a salesman to capitulate!)

6 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I'm thinking if I have to jump through hoops just to try and get what I want than what will be the act to get warranty and general support? Brand loyalty be damned I'll be talking to Autocar tomorrow.

Warranty is excellent. I put the extended everything on mine for 5 years. You pretty much have to buy a separate warranty for everything. There's after treatment, harness and sensor, engine, transmission and so on. Cost me an extra $9,000 but that paid for itself  many times over. 

On 6/11/2019 at 3:29 PM, JoeH said:

Get a number from Autocar and then tell the Mack salesman the number and specs and see if he actually wants to sell you a truck or if he's wasting your time. Best thing to do is get a salesman to think you're angry with him for wasting your time. 

Guy (Mike) I bought my used pickup from did that for his wife's car. He told the salesman what they could afford per month, then the salesman took them around the lot for a while trying to upsell them. Finally, Mike chastised the salesman pretty well for wasting his time: he had said at the outset what he could afford, and the salesman kept showing him cars he "couldn't" afford, so Mike got himself a good deal. (May have been a few customers around to "eavesdrop" on the chastisement. Nothing like that to get a salesman to capitulate!)

The Steeda Fusion my wife wanted we talked to the Ford Dealer that sold them, spec'd out what she wanted got a price as financed and paid cash for it.Ford Credit figures making money on the finance charges so base price was lower. 258 miles on it sitting in a container since she passed away.

17 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Warranty is excellent. I put the extended everything on mine for 5 years. You pretty much have to buy a separate warranty for everything. There's after treatment, harness and sensor, engine, transmission and so on. Cost me an extra $9,000 but that paid for itself  many times over. 

Warranty may be excellent but I've talked to Excel in Virginia, Gabrielli in New York and TEC Mack in Maine get different stories on option availability and all pushing the "everybody gets  505 h.p with. M -Drive" which I do not want. I want my last new truck exactly spec'd as I want and  that's that.

Today I contacted Autocar direct and spend the better part of an hour talking about the new conventional, tentative cost and when production is due to start. Apparently I'm one of about 50  or so asking about a road tractor configuration for construction.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 6/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, 41chevy said:

Wondering what the plans are for use on of the truck with wanting a 65 ass end 

I can only guess some pretty heavy haulage type work

I wonder how it will ride as Mrs Mack isnt exactly smooth with a 58 ass end 

Paul 

On 6/10/2019 at 11:28 PM, 41chevy said:

I've been looking to get an Anthem day cab. Decided I'm not leaving my kids anything but receipts. Spec'd out most everything I wanted. Asked the salesman at Excel in Va. a few questions and got vague answers.  Asked what the heaviest chassis available is and asked the differences between the seven different MP7 engines and the eight different MP8 engines. I know some with the letter 'C' are California spec but wanted to know what the 'A' ,  'E' , 'SE' , 'SE-HE' engines are. Sales man suggested the 5050 h.p. engine and the M drive was what everybody buys so get that. Hope thats not all the dealers attitude.

What are you spec'ing the day cab tractor for 41chevy?

The Anthem is getting popular around here now for live bottom and wood chip haulers. Here is one I took a pic of last year I have posted in the forum here somewhere.

046.jpg