Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A friend of mine got a R model with a farm he bought.  He's been trying to sell it for 6k, I offered 3k.  I've been driving for 6 years and would like to have a toy to work on.  The frame/tanks/springs/break Chambers/engine still have paint (gold valve cover, fancy), no cracks in the double frame, and the cab has some crusty spots, hood is perfect.  Was just used at a cement plant hauling gravel then the farm and shows 345397 miles and the hour meter has 7409 hours (has a pto).  With a battery and a can of starting fluid it should fire up, last ran 2 years ago has been kept in the barn since 1985(last sticker on it).  Twin stick with Lo-Direct+reverse on the 2nd stick (6-speed?).  I want it, am I crazy? Or crazy if I don't buy it.

Edited by Rockland Steel
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, eddeere said:

Buy it . If you do not you may regret later .

I think you're right. It's got a turbo on it and the after cooler. My 2015 Volvo has more crust on it than this thing running in Canada.  And a cab is no big deal on these. Well, it might have an after cooler, I don't know exactly what's what.  I just like it.

Edited by Rockland Steel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

285 with tip turbine?

With camelback suspension...it will beat you to pieces driving it bobtail.  But it will be fun!!!!  LOL!!

Not a single air bag to be found on it.  Straight from pothole to spine.  And i'd love every second. I'll see if I can upload some pictures.

Looking at the picture now its just a 237 Maxi with a turbo, only one pipe to the air cleaner.

Edited by Rockland Steel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Freightrain said:

Barn fresh!!!!  Little crusty here/there, but doesn't look too bad.  Hows the rain gutter area?  The roofs tend to rot off those trucks.

The gutter itself is mostly rot off, but no holes that i can find on the inside, headliner is still in it. Its full of dust and ancient cow shit so I didn't do a whole lot of digging. Just wanted to see if the frame was alright, I could find a cab if I wanted but it wouldn't take much to make some patch panels and fix it the right way.  I say this now, but the pressure washer might reveal who knows what.  I was just surprised at the shiny gold paint under all of that dust on the engine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like it's got 10 air bags to me so ought to ride like a cloud.....

  • Haha 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Rockland Steel said:

Yea, a thunder cloud lmao

I have a few of em so vaguely familiar.....

  • Haha 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most all panels are available.  BUY IT !!

  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

 “Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best thing you can do for your back if you're going to drive this truck every day is convert the cab to air ride.

This'll involve a new fuel tank support cross member, deleting the current radiator support arms from the cab (replace with a couple diagonals from the frame) and the hood bumpers on the  top of the firewall need to be converting to a roller style instead of the rigid type. Might be more, but those are some important things to watch for.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Best thing you can do for your back if you're going to drive this truck every day is convert the cab to air ride.

This'll involve a new fuel tank support cross member, deleting the current radiator support arms from the cab (replace with a couple diagonals from the frame) and the hood bumpers on the  top of the firewall need to be converting to a roller style instead of the rigid type. Might be more, but those are some important things to watch for.

Nah, its just a toy to tool around in. It does have a really cushy thick foam seat in it. No rips in it. But I don;t think its going to have the same bounce and sway as a Volvo 780 xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no trouble spending your money so I vote for Buy It.  A 685 would have been born with a 237 Maxidyne and turbo (no cooling). 

Also a big fan of the X107 6 speed trans.  Very versatile unit.

  • Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, j hancock said:

I have no trouble spending your money so I vote for Buy It.  A 685 would have been born with a 237 Maxidyne and turbo (no cooling). 

Also a big fan of the X107 6 speed trans.  Very versatile unit.

Yes sir. I imagine it's what I'll do. What else am I saving money for. I have another 35 years before retirement lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's 6 speeds forward (low on the right stick sets every gear to the equivalent of the gear below it, i.e. 2nd acts like 1st, 3rd like 2nd, etc.) And 5 speeds reverse. 

Nothing pops a grease monkey's eyes open like shifting from 1st through fourth in reverse. And on a straight truck there is no better transmission for offroading. (3rd gear reverse has gotten me through some soft mud many times in our volumetric concrete trucks. Your momentum and continued power application is invaluable.). Only downside is these trucks tend to hit the governor around 62mph.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

looks about a 69 70, 71 with the marker lights and reflectors on the fenders.  buy it... they don't make them anymore. looks like someone changed the air cleaner to the newer style and ditched the oil bath

Also has the real old fuel tank bracket and strap.     terry:MackLogo:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

It's 6 speeds forward (low on the right stick sets every gear to the equivalent of the gear below it, i.e. 2nd acts like 1st, 3rd like 2nd, etc.) And 5 speeds reverse. 

Nothing pops a grease monkey's eyes open like shifting from 1st through fourth in reverse. And on a straight truck there is no better transmission for offroading. (3rd gear reverse has gotten me through some soft mud many times in our volumetric concrete trucks. Your momentum and continued power application is invaluable.). Only downside is these trucks tend to hit the governor around 62mph.

Most Canadian trucks at 62-65 anyway lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Most all panels are available.  BUY IT !!

Panels are still available? I would not have thought that considering Mack doesn't stock any motor parts any more.

I saw my old R model a couple weeks ago. Pretty sad sight. cab is rotten, motor has been replaced and is shot, they even put mufflers on it!!!

20190507_115520 (Large).jpg

20190507_115606 (Large).jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...