New Autocar DC-64 Conventional Truck

autocardc

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

It was my understanding that when Ford did the Daimler deal, along with the 10 year no compete, all the tooling went to Daimler.

Now Roadway, check the box....From your earlier post.....Not to change the subject, but to this day Ford's abrupt exit of the heavy truck market after designing a whole new series of vehicles for it has to be the most bizarre thing I have ever seen a major manufacturer ever do.  Did someone not get the memo?  Wonder if there wasn't more to the story.   

Now you are posting that it was the right thing or words to that effect.  So which is it?  Again I allude to the fact that this was NOT a blind decision to spend a fortune on HN-80.  Are you saying Ford had no financial analysts that did not beat the shit out of this subject before senior management signed off?  Do you really think that they were clueless as to how much they could make on say 200,000 HD PICK UPS  a year vs 50,000 class 7 and 8 trucks?  I don't think so.  But I believe when HN-80 was committed the guys at the top were comfortable with the return on heavy trucks and felt it was an integral part of Ford.  And I'm sure when that decision was made, there were plenty of "car guys" who had no use for big trucks.  All of a sudden Jac the Knife is on the scene and guess who had his ear?  Those car guys I would bet.  And from all the dumb ass moves he made, my guess is he could very easily paint a picture as to why this was such a good move. 

I think it goes back to the theory of profitability along product lines.  Are there some product lines  in ANY company that do better than others?  For sure.  Do some companies bail out on less profitable products to concentrate on their "core business"?  For sure.  But not all managements subscribe to that theory. 

If that were the case perhaps John Deere would only need yellow or green paint!😎

At least that is how I see it-an opinion of course.

Final opinion-if Ford made a mistake, they should have truly concentrated on the vocational market-and I include the fleet linehaul market to the ABF's ConWays,  etc of the era in that vocational mix.  The true "owner operator "large car" market?   They should have let that be because Paccar could build the biggest pile of shit and those guys would stand around and say.."isn't it beautiful".   And I'm not saying they are crap  -I'm just saying you will never get the majority of those guys out of a Pete or KW.

As I said in the post, I think Ford should have let the old Louisville run it's course until switching KTP over to Super Duty production and not bothered with HN80 at all.  Sure, hindsight's 20/20 but I believe if Ford had to do it all over again, that's what they would have done.  Regarding Ford's analysis of the decision to go ahead with HN80, remember at the time Ford's management was anything but rational.  The power structure at the Glass House was one of fiefdoms bent on destroying each other, Ford Motor and the customer be damned.  I was told by Ford insiders back in the day that the light truck group was always out to screw the heavy truck group, and had wanted KTP for years.  Supposedly the decision to use the International 6.9L diesel for the F series back in 1982 was partially done as a slap in the face for the heavy trucks guys as International was Ford's biggest competitor at the time.  It seemed to me that HN80 happened while Bill Ford Jr. was running the heavy truck division, and after he left it heavy truck had no champion and fell victim to a rational profitability argument from the light duty guys.  I wish I could go back to those days and ask better questions!  To be a fly on the wall during some of those meetings.......       

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Love it-except for that rounded off snout.  Brink back the DK look.  But one thing that is great from a safety perspective-as many of us have posted, these light groupings where the turn signal is in the same housing as the headlights leave a lot to be desired.  the visibility of that turn signal is lost.  Bring back the "lollypop"!  then the idiot that is trying to get by you on the right as you make a wide swing for a right hand turn has one more blinking light in his face.  Granted- that lollypop will cost you .00045 mpg because of wind resistance.😎

Or put a bright a$$ LED cluster on the bottom edge of the fender extension so it pulls them off the phone.

I would buy the new ACar if I wasn't at the age where I won't get 20 years out of it. Plus I just picked up my pair for AM General power units in Philly yesterday for my Maine project.. Look pretty good in Civilian Black if I do say so..

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Funny you mentioned AM General's 41chevy. Just got the latest Truck and Trailer paper in the mail and Transport Robert in Quebec, Canada has 3 6x6 AM General M920 tractors for sale. And they are painted black too, LOL.

I think they were 1980's? They have 400 Cummins with Caterpillar automatic transmissions.

Red Horse I think Roadway is right Ford at that time was not rational in the things they did. HN80 was a good idea, but not well done. But I do think Ford made money on heavy trucks, the car side of Ford did not like heavy trucks. The L series cab was designed to be a heavy truck and was well built to the end. With upgrades it would still sell in 2019. Ford could sell just a LT 8000 and LTS 8000 today and do well. HN80 cab was too much like a car and not well built. It is a long time ago but I think Ford owned the baby 8 market in the 1980's and 1990's. The Mack DM 600 was a great truck but a LTS 8000 would do the same job and hold up for a lot less money. Ford Heavy trucks made money for the truck owner that is what counts. The heavy truck side of Ford may of understood there market, but the fools running Ford ( Bill Ford too ) did not.  

• Like 2

I ran many, many Louisvilles. Up here in Canada the cabs all rotted off from the salt, just like their cars and pickups. (I am a Ford fan, but the fact is they don't live in salt.) There aren't any left around here and at one time there was nothing but Ford's. And the dash's all cracked from the sun. You can't find an intact Ford dash. Every restored one I have seen for sale up here has a custom home made dash in it.

We also ran a Sterling dump truck. No issues with it either. Lots of plastic, but it lasted the 7 or so years we kept it with nothing broke. I found the cab rode really nice too. The air ride was set up really soft.

20 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Funny you mentioned AM General's 41chevy. Just got the latest Truck and Trailer paper in the mail and Transport Robert in Quebec, Canada has 3 6x6 AM General M920 tractors for sale. And they are painted black too, LOL.

I think they were 1980's? They have 400 Cummins with Caterpillar automatic transmissions.

Most all M900 series a 400 Big Cams with Cat Autos. All wheel drives are rare as tractors from what I gather, wish mine were.  I heard of an even dozen for sale hat are civi  black. They do look good, but so does my M917 in Mopar Citronella Yella.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

Even though the Capone truck is Volvo era.....I always did like the looks of those too.

Only Volvo stuff was the grill stripe and a few plastic items. Volvo wasn't as chintzy as they are now.

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

The Autocar rolloff. Now that's an Autocar

ran one just like it many moons ago. including the winch

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Well I  love it, the grill looks good compared to what a lot of other manufacturers offer

The inside looks good.

Doubt they will ever make it in RHD but if they did I reckon I  might well stick my hand up for one

I have read lots of complaining on the forum over the years about lack of US truck manufacturing, here's you chance Americans to put your money were your mouth is  and throw your support behind it

The same goes for the T Line truck

Paul 

• Like 2

More Details Emerge on New Autocar Conventional Truck

Heavy Duty Trucking (HDT)  /  May 17, 2019

Autocar has announced more details about its first new conventional truck in more than 30 years – including answering HDT's question on whether it will be available beyond the refuse market.

Earler this month, Autocar unveiled a new conventional model truck, the Autocar DC-64R – a completely new conventional truck, purpose-built from the ground-up for severe-duty refuse applications, according to the OEM.

The company says the truck’s new cab is one of its standout features. Inspired by Autocar’s legendary conventional cabs, the DC cab has a large workspace and ergonomics optimized for productivity in refuse applications, according to Eric Schwartz, managing director of Autocar Trucks.

“The DC’s cab maximizes space and productivity for drivers from the biggest guys to petite women,” Schwartz said. “That was a hard balancing act to accomplish, but we focused on it because our customers have diverse work forces today." The company used ergonomic-simulation software to optimize factors such as gauge readability, controls reach, comfort adjustments, and the placement and spacing of steps and grab handles. "We’re proud the new DC cab was designed to accommodate a work crew of three very big people sitting comfortably and safely.”

James Johnston, president of Autocar, touted the truck's safety and durability. "Those are always our first objectives. So our new DC cab is built from a combination of engineered steel, judiciously chosen aluminum components, and robust steel corner castings. We also maximized driver visibility, with a steeply raked wraparound windshield for upward and forward visibility and large rear corner windows standard, very rare in Class 8 conventional cabs. The best way to stay safe is to see all around and avoid getting into trouble in the first place.”

Schwartz also pointed out that despite a name that harks to the past, the technology in this truck is all right now.

“While the new Autocar DC cab was inspired by Autocar’s legendary driver cab from the previous generation of the Autocar DC conventional, our totally upgraded electrical system and Always Up one-touch diagnostics establishes a new state-of-the art platform for the future of vocational trucks,” he said. “The truck actually monitors and diagnoses itself in real-time, not only alerting techs of issues, but even showing a description of what fault has occurred and as well as where and how to fix it. It enables trucks to be rapidly root-caused and placed back into service, making money again for our customers.”

The theme of easy tech access for maintenance and repairs is carried throughout the cab’s design, Schwartz noted, with exposed fasteners on all the panels and easy access from within the cab to the HVAC system, cab roof-mounted components, transmission, rear of the engine, fuse boxes, control modules, and even the wiring inside the A-pillars. If service is required, technicians can quickly gain access to the location of the issue and get the truck back into service.

Autcar also revealed a new feature on the DC model that extends beyond the cab: a process the company call its Power of One integration. According to Autocar, the DC is the first truck to fully integrate all components, not only inside the cab, across the powertrain and electrical systems, but also including the refuse body as well. Autocar’s Power of One integration treats the total vehicle as one complete tool, not only at the engineering stage, but actually extends to installing body components on the Autocar production line in Birmingham, Alabama. This unique process is said to avoid numerous issues that might otherwise arise, enhancing uptime and ROI for waste haulers.

The initial engines are the Cummins L9, with ratings up to 380 hp, and the Cummins X12, rated up to 500 hp and 1,700 lbs-ft of torque. Autocar intends to offer the Cummins ISX12N natural gas engine as well in the future. 

Although the focus of the DC launch has been refuse applications, Autocar told HDT that the Autocar was designed for multiple vocational applications. Details and developments concerning models for construction will be announced soon, and other applications explored depending on market demand.

Autocar says it is taking orders for the DC-64R now for production and delivery later this year. The first buyers of the truck are specifying roll-off and rear-loader refuse applications.

Autocar DC-64R Interor.jpeg

Photo 4a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I love it. Way nicer than all the other new trucks with their "automobile inspired" dashes. At least this looks like a truck.

That was the only thing I liked about my Star. Old school dash and room for 20 gauges. Too bad the rest of the truck was junk. But even Star has made changes to the dash this year to make them more car driver likable. Pretty sad.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

nice lookin dash but that funky grease soaking steer wheel would have to go

Both "soft feel" and hard plastic steering wheels can be supplied, but I imagine most people will request the soft feel.