Crackerbox &Super Dump

41chevy

That is a Michigan train. I am sure that is the I-94 and I-75 interchange under construction in Detroit. Roy Fruehauf (Fruehauf Trailer) was part of 5 R's. That photo hangs in the building across the freeway to the left (Sterling Truck Parts). By the way that truck is overloaded, even at 154,000 GVW max, but you do not need 600hp to move it over the road then or today. JoeH we deal with that every day here in Michigan.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TS7 said:

By the way that truck is overloaded, even at 154,000 GVW max, but you do not need 600hp to move it over the road then or today. JoeH we deal with that every day here in Michigan.   

Agreed.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, TS7 said:

That is a Michigan train. I am sure that is the I-94 and I-75 interchange under construction in Detroit. Roy Fruehauf (Fruehauf Trailer) was part of 5 R's. That photo hangs in the building across the freeway to the left (Sterling Truck Parts). By the way that truck is overloaded, even at 154,000 GVW max, but you do not need 600hp to move it over the road then or today. JoeH we deal with that every day here in Michigan.   

"T"-and do the oil companies still use Michigan trains?  I have Pictures of the ones from the 60's and the tanks looked like boxes-talk about high center of gravity.

6 hours ago, Red Horse said:

"T"-and do the oil companies still use Michigan trains?  I have Pictures of the ones from the 60's and the tanks looked like boxes-talk about high center of gravity.

Was in Toledo just last weekend and saw a Michigan fuel tanker centipede.   Mentioned to my buddy about tire replacement costs!!  I'm thinking they were all super singles also.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Red Horse no more fuel tanker trains.There was a rash of bad wrecks in the late 70's, pups flipping over.  Most fuel is hauled in 6 or 7 axle straight trailers now, have 3 or 4 lift axles. I could not begin to explain Michigan weight laws here. But that train in the photo is 13,000 lb per axle on the trailers. It is easy to over load an axle or the lead trailer. That truck in the photo could haul 50 tons sand or dirt.  Red Horse if you could post a photo of a MI tanker train, the pups were not safe.  They were trying to get to 50 tons, by putting more in the pup, they raised them up, could not go longer. Also as I recall most trains were pulled by cabovers or short tractors back then (Mack F-700 MI special). The laws have changed for over all length, but not for axle load. It is hard to explain, there are a lot of ways meet the law. One thing I can say there are a lot of Mack GU-800 505 MP8 tractors pulling 8 axle trains hauling 50 - 52 tons, 154,000 - 160,000 GVW working every day here. Any one that thinks Mack cannot do heavy haul today come here to Michigan.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, davehummell said:

Was that picture in an old roads and streets magazine?

It was in a book about building the inter state highway system from 1956 to 1974

8 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

I think the one in your other thread with the planetary axles is the 12V-71 Crackerbox.  This one is probably just a 238!

Both were 12V D.D.'s according to the write ups.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

7 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Was in Toledo just last weekend and saw a Michigan fuel tanker centipede.   Mentioned to my buddy about tire replacement costs!!  I'm thinking they were all super singles also.

Mack Promo pic Chem tanker.

mack_f-series_1962_1.thumb.jpg.55b0439ec6396d618c37a79a1671f664.jpg

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

16 hours ago, 41chevy said:

It was in a book about building the inter state highway system from 1956 to 1974

Both were 12V D.D.'s according to the write ups.

What was the name of the book?

There is a picture of the Crackerbox with the planetary axles in the book 'GMC Heavy Duty Trucks 1927-1987'.  Says it was special order for 5 R's.  Can only imagine what that beast was like to drive......

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RoadwayR said:

What was the name of the book?

There is a picture of the Crackerbox with the planetary axles in the book 'GMC Heavy Duty Trucks 1927-1987'.  Says it was special order for 5 R's.  Can only imagine what that beast was like to drive......

It's going to be a bit to dig it out, it's still boxed from our move to Virginia. It was published  around 1990. We got it when we took my 41 Chevy to the 50th anniversary of the Pa. Tpke.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

I would like to see 41 get free posting like I think KSC has, he finds and posts some great photo's of old trucks, I am sure he puts a lot time into this. Not to forget Mr. Hancock does too. Red Horse would you want to drive that Gulf tanker? I do not remember how and when they were out lawed, but it started in lower MI. The oil companies said we would run of gas with out those tanker's to fill gas stations. Most stations could not take a full load any way. They would need more trucks and of course the price of gas would go way up. They got by. I do not know the laws on tankers, but those are gone. They were not safe.  

• Like 1