5 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

How many of you remember cable pull dumps?

Lizza Sand and Gravel in Pine Hollow RD in Oyster Bay still had 1 or 2 in the early 1960's. My uncle usually got the wheel of one.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

One of the former foundries around here ran one into the 90's. Used it in the "slag pit" as very little to wear in the abrasive atmosphere. Pretty neat to watch as no hydraulics involved. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:43 AM, Hobert62 said:

Ok, young pup here.     What is a cable pull dump trailer?

I'm an old geyser who's been in trucking all my life and I'd never heard of a cable pull dump.  Very interesting.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, j hancock said:

Something to do with a quarry dinky?

I'm thinking logging.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

this was basicly a cabless dump truck that you drove facing the dump end . they did not have hydraulics so you drove the thing toward the pile or where ever you were hauling to when you got where you wanted to dump you declutched it and stood on the brakes and hauled back on a huge lever, that and your momentum is what dumped the thing.