What is Mack thinking?

I am a retired heavy and highway contractor,and have been wondering what is Mack thinking,with the cease of production of the titan.If I was still in the business where would I be looking for a new lowboy tractor.That would be a Peterbuilt.Mack doesn’ t make a big tractor in my mind anymore.

KS: I believe Volvo is thinking along these lines. In order to establish a heavy haul presence for Volvo they would have to eliminate some competition, namely an easy target the  Mack Titan. Eliminating the rest of the competition is not so easy. The truck buying public will do that by not buying Volvo heavy hall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ekennedy21 said:

I have said it before in another thread, I have it from a sound source that Mack is developing a cummins powered heavy haul option that should be available within a year or so....

1. Too slow/late.....irreversible in-depth damage already done.

2. The North American Titan show was an amateur effort.

3. Why did Volvo abandon the Mack heavy haul segment in the first place? From the day they took over, they ignored the Super-Liner product.

• Like 1

ekennedy21,talking with one of the Mack rep here in pa that they are working on getting back in the heavy haul business.The last one I had was 98cl700,,was a really good truck didn’t compare to our older dm800.Now the dm was way overbuilt,65 rears,20 upfront,triple frame.It was a 84 model and the last I heard it was still on the road.

Mack has been out of the heavy haul market for over a decade now, the Titan made no inroads because it was overpriced and lacked many options heavy haulers need. Cummins power? Maybe UPS has the buying power to force Volvo to fit Cummins natural gas engines in Macks, but Volvo is vertically integrated and not about to allow competition for their engines even if they don't have a competing engine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ekennedy21 said:

I have said it before in another thread, I have it from a sound source that Mack is developing a cummins powered heavy haul option that should be available within a year or so....

Too little to late ! If these people had Half A brain And intended  being in the heavy haul jass  they would have derived a replacement for the titan before pulling it out of production ! These Guys Are poorly organized OR they JUST simply don't give a shit!

In my mind The Later is in play here! AND OR BOTH!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 2

A Mack heavy haul will most likely be their N.A. poorly selling VNX rebadged. I have zero faith in any decision for the N.A. market that is made in the Corporate Castle in Sweden with no real knowledge of what is needed or wanted here. 

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You're a fortnight early with that post, there. Swishy......LOL.

Vomack North America  might have to get some Aussie Engineers to show 'em how it's Done..lol

https://www.macktrucks.com.au/trucks/titan/

http://img06.en25.com/Web/VolvoAUS/{666ac387-2b28-4fb9-b351-0d5529648f9d}_titan_brochure.pdf

Edit, this Video's not Too bad either....

Edited by Hayseed
added a bit.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Volvo management is horrible.  They messed up heavy haul and super heavy haul. 

I understand that there is no huge economic advantage to super heavy haul but it was image.  "Built like a Mack Truck" meant something.  Has anyone ever bragged about buying a Volvo?

Volvo wants production.  Production is money.  OK.  PACCAR has volume production AND they can build a Kenworth to do anything you want.  Daimler has volume and they can build a Western Star heavy hauler.

Volvo.... pathetic.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

6 hours ago, Hayseed said:

You're a fortnight early with that post, there. Swishy......LOL.

Vomack North America  might have to get some Aussie Engineers to show 'em how it's Done..lol

https://www.macktrucks.com.au/trucks/titan/

http://img06.en25.com/Web/VolvoAUS/{666ac387-2b28-4fb9-b351-0d5529648f9d}_titan_brochure.pdf

Edit, this Video's not Too bad either....

For many, Volvo has that video blocked from being played in the US ("This video is not available in your country").

Here is a workable link.

• Like 1

That's potentially an award winning video, and Volvo owes the creators a wider audience for their work. But like Ford with their award winning F-Max, Volvo has another agenda- Keeping us Americans and especially shareholders from seeing the great trucks they're trying to kill so we'll be impressed with their more mediocre products.

• Like 1

There is money in heavy haul to my way of thinking. In the northeast when Mack didn't offer a decent priced right heavy haul product Paccar filled the bill. When Paccar got there foot in the door the dump trucks followed. Cases in point in Connecticut; Tomasso,  Manafort, Cherry Hill etc. Mass RI Vt & NH are probably similar.

eKennedy and hicrop10 lets hope you are right.:)

• Like 1

Besides the high profit margins on heavy haul trucks (with factories booked out darn near a year, wouldn't you love to be a truck dealer with some well spec'd heavy haul tractors in stock!) they tend to be the flagships of the fleet and set the pattern for more orders. Plus fleets nowadays tend to prefer to deal with a single source for their fleets rather than a half dozen and dozens of dealers. Even if Mack never made a cent on the DM800s and RD800s, every one was a testimony to the capabilities of Mack and a great ad for the whole line!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

For many, Volvo has that video blocked from being played in the US ("This video is not available in your country").

Unbelievable........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -