Dodge Bighorn

j hancock

As far as I know at least one truck is in Europe. A guy from Finland imported it from the States.

When I was a kid I had a picture of Big Horn cut from some old Russian magazine. It was small and black and white but I too liked the truck. Didn't know they were so few in number produced. I think the magazine was issued in 1977 or so.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

C and L models were built at Sherwood truck plant in Warren, MI. It was a very small plant, still there, it is a orange juice plant now. Warren Truck ( pickups and vans ), Warren Stamping, Sherwood Truck, Mound Road Engine ( 318 V8 ) and a large parts warehouse were in a very large complex there. Dallas and Mavis had a large yard there. I rode my bike there (1969-72) I could see any kind of Dodge Truck built then, even saw some new Power Wagons, real ones (WM-300) for export. C models,  C-800 and CNT-900 were all over SE MI back then. Chrysler made a big push with trucks starting with the 1971 B model van back then I think. You have to wonder if Chrysler could have gained Mack (1964?) back then what would things be like now?  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, h67st said:

A guy has this for sale on ATHS, says it's a factory prototype. No price listed, probably very cabbagey.

https://www.aths.org/advertising-with-aths/adbuilder/list

Beautiful one of a kind Bighorn!

Found it on Hemmings for sale. You got that right a whole crop of cabbage. New cab and all, must have been outside at Chrysler plant for the 35 years until sold in 2010 to need a new cab and full restoration.  I would really like to have it but way out of my ballpark. Price: $149,000 Firm

Who knows, if it made it into production, Dodge might have sold a few.  Personally, I think Chrysler should have given up  on passenger cars in 1975, and concentrated on trucks.  I remember hearing years ago that after Chrysler halted sales of heavy trucks in the U.S., they actually continued building small runs of long wheelbase CNT 800 diesel tandems until 1979 or 1980.  Some may have been for export, but the story was Chrysler had a long running contract to supply tanker chassis to the Air Force.  

• Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 3:26 AM, RoadwayR said:

Who knows, if it made it into production, Dodge might have sold a few.  Personally, I think Chrysler should have given up  on passenger cars in 1975, and concentrated on trucks.  I remember hearing years ago that after Chrysler halted sales of heavy trucks in the U.S., they actually continued building small runs of long wheelbase CNT 800 diesel tandems until 1979 or 1980.  Some may have been for export, but the story was Chrysler had a long running contract to supply tanker chassis to the Air Force.  

Based on the CNT800, the U.S. Air Force purchased "Type A/S 32 R-9 Fuel Servicing Tank Trucks". They officially had a GVW of 58,000 pounds but looked realistically like much more.

A 504 cu.in. 210 horsepower Cummins V8 was paired with an Allison MT42G automatic transmission.

The trucks were acquired by Consolidated Diesel Electric Company who added the 5,000 gallon tank body and discharge pumps and made the sale to the government.

There were 2 or 3 sitting for sale off of Route 13 in Wilmington, Delaware years ago.

Note the speedometer includes km/h because many were used in Europe.

http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com/1972_Dodge_T-80_800-Series_Consolidated_Refueler_JumboTanker-3.htm

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

• Like 2

From what I've read, sounds like Chrysler had a lot of unsold big trucks and cabs when they quit selling big trucks in 1975. A lot of them went into Chrysler's own interplant transport and maintenance fleets at the proving grounds and such. With an adequate supply of spare cabs to replace rusted ones, I suspect some of these 70s Dodge trucks were still in use until Daimler took over and replaced everything with Freightliners in the 90s. The truck offered for sale is probably one of the ones that came up for sale as a result of the 2010 bankruptcy.

The blue Bighorn 900 is one of two built, never was on the road. Chrysler Transport had a large fleet of C-800 (gas) single axle tractors and some CNT-900 tandem tractors. I recall that in 1978 they started running GMC, White and some Mack single axle diesel tractors, The C-800 trucks were gone as I recall by 1980-1981.There may have been some Dodge trucks in off road use in plants and such. After the first bailout (1980?), they had a almost all White fleet of tandem tractors. I cannot remember, but I think they had some Volvos before and after Daimler. I think around 2011? they got around 300 Mack tandem tractors. Weigand Mack in Sterling Hts. was the dealer (M&K now), I never saw so many new Mack's that were the same at one place at there lot then. FCA Transport now has Peterbilt's (LNG). Chrysler Transport and FCA Transport ran clean trucks, they were an important part of keeping plants going, they did not live in the past with old Dodge trucks. The drivers were UAW members.

• Like 2

No Bighorn 900.  Instead they came up with real winners like the Plymouth Volare and Dodge Aspen.  I thought they could have gone after all the Diamond Reo and Brockway dealers and given them medium-heavy Dodge franchises, phase out all domestic car production and replace them with Mitsubishi imports, kept the Ram pickup and van, and gone after Jeep.  Dodge even had a great medium duty in the 1974-1977 D500-800.  It was a tough good handling truck that had a big enough hood to take a Caterpillar 3208 (a few were actually built in 1977).  I liked driving them.

All they needed were dealers.  In all of California I only remember 2 handling the big trucks, the Dodge Truck Center in Downey and Moss Brothers in Riverside. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

No Bighorn 900.  Instead they came up with real winners like the Plymouth Volare and Dodge Aspen.  I thought they could have gone after all the Diamond Reo and Brockway dealers and given them medium-heavy Dodge franchises, phase out all domestic car production and replace them with Mitsubishi imports, kept the Ram pickup and van, and gone after Jeep.  Dodge even had a great medium duty in the 1974-1977 D500-800.  It was a tough good handling truck that had a big enough hood to take a Caterpillar 3208 (a few were actually built in 1977).  I liked driving them.

All they needed were dealers.  In all of California I only remember 2 handling the big trucks, the Dodge Truck Center in Downey and Moss Brothers in Riverside.

In 1977, the U.S. Armor Engineer Board at Fort Knox, Kentucky ran tests on several diesel-powered commercial trucks including a 1977 Dodge D700 equipped with a 636 cubic inch 3208 Caterpillar V8 paired with an Allison AT540. The hood had a bulge to accommodate the 3208.

I think Dodge intended the 3208 to be an option in the 1978 D-800.  My company was buying a lot of D-600's in '76 and '77.  When Dodge dropped them, they told us it was so they could make more motorhome chassis.  The 1974-1977 D series mediums were built in Windsor Ontario at the van plant, not Sherwood or Warren were the heavy and light trucks were built.  

• Like 2