Mack emblems, V8 & Valve Cover Dog

I have a need for a few of each of these very hard to find Emblems. Even harder is to find them in new condition. I am seriously considering having some cast out of bronze. The E9 valve cover Dog was bronze originally and just polished. These were produced one year only from what I can tell around 1993 for the black engine with chrome valve covers in CL700's. The V8 came be chrome plated and they did come gold plated but not solid bronze. These were used from 1963-1979 but I can be corrected. They will be made in the USA and not cheap but affordable. Thinking around $85-95 a piece. Would any of you have an interest in them and maybe the price will come down with a larger order. I am working on the patterns now and finished cost with a foundry. If I used these actual parts for patterns the castings will be about 2-3% smaller due to casting shrinkage. That is not a lot smaller but will be noticeable compared to an original.

IMG_2360.thumb.JPG.7ae0d2537bf8a7edc1daadb7b55ad2c8.JPG 

• Like 1

Do you consider $85-90 apiece including chrome-plating or a brass casting only? Suppose plating itself would take about that worth or at least a half of.

As for the size decrease due to brass (oh, bronze, sorry) shrinkage I see two ways to go. The 1st and more clear one is copying the existing parts with silicone compound. Than further as I know guys cast wax or steorine into the silicone and than make a form of gyps over the wax model. Further they melt the wax out and cast bronze into the gyps. Cracking the latter after the metal is cold you get what you want. Maybe with some size decrease, I honestly have no idea. Another more complicated way is to 3D scan the parts and than draw a 3D model which you can easily rescale to compensate any size decrease. Upps, you need to 3d print it first. Or there could be another option to make it of a piece of brass by computer-operated milling machine.

Sure any of those ways is an entertainment.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

The price that I am quoted is for the Bronze casting that will be polished. The Bulldog came that way and not chromed. The V-8 came chrome and gold plated. Prices from Mack when I got some of the last V-8 NOS over 20 years ago was $65 chrome, $95 gold. I don't know what the Bulldog was priced as it only came on the chrome valve covers and does not have a part number on it. 

By the way I have seen the V-8 emblems go on Ebay for far more than $100 each. Even triple chroming should not add more than $25-30 each.

The casting originals will be 3D wax printed to correct for shrink and investment cast. 

Just seeing if there is any interest so I know how many to make for myself and maybe a few other guys.

11 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

The price that I am quoted is for the Bronze casting that will be polished. The Bulldog came that way and not chromed. The V-8 came chrome and gold plated. Prices from Mack when I got some of the last V-8 NOS over 20 years ago was $65 chrome, $95 gold. I don't know what the Bulldog was priced as it only came on the chrome valve covers and does not have a part number on it. 

By the way I have seen the V-8 emblems go on Ebay for far more than $100 each. Even triple chroming should not add more than $25-30 each.

The casting originals will be 3D wax printed to correct for shrink and investment cast. 

Just seeing if there is any interest so I know how many to make for myself and maybe a few other guys.

At $85 I'll take two bulldogs

34 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Best of luck with your project.

With short run production, 3D printing may be viable as Vlad mentioned if it eliminates the hassles of calculating shrinkage in design and manufacture.

Shrinkage is figured in a % of finish size. Normally a single % is good enough but in complex parts a dual %% is calculated for lateral and longitudinal shrink as in jet turbine blades.

This is no issue and they will be as good a originals or better. I was a moldmaker and QC manager for jet turbine molds in my past and now make sterling silver jewelry for a business. Our 3D wax printer is a high end $50K unit specific for high detail parts. These emblems are really quit simple to produce. The issue is that I have to send patterns out for casting. Bronze is a dirty metal and our silver & gold casting machine would be contaminated melting anything but silver and gold.    Idea anyone what these in real silver... gold would be $$$ just because of gold price not labor it would be the same.

Check out the jewelry at: www.rebelroselife.com     Yes the site is female focused.

1 hour ago, AZB755V8 said:

Shrinkage is figured in a % of finish size. Normally a single % is good enough but in complex parts a dual %% is calculated for lateral and longitudinal shrink as in jet turbine blades.

This is no issue and they will be as good a originals or better. I was a moldmaker and QC manager for jet turbine molds in my past and now make sterling silver jewelry for a business. Our 3D wax printer is a high end $50K unit specific for high detail parts. These emblems are really quit simple to produce. The issue is that I have to send patterns out for casting. Bronze is a dirty metal and our silver & gold casting machine would be contaminated melting anything but silver and gold.    Idea anyone what these in real silver... gold would be $$$ just because of gold price not labor it would be the same.

Check out the jewelry at: www.rebelroselife.com     Yes the site is female focused.

How much silver would be in a bulldog? That would be kinda neat

I can have that weight in a few days. Silver is about $23-25 an ounce now

5 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

How much silver would be in a bulldog? That would be kinda neat

It'll be a few days for an exact weight from the CAD program. Silver is $23-25 an ounce now. I'll get exact but figure 6-7 ounces. It would be a way cool belt buckle by mounting to a back plate like rodeo buckles.  We don't do that but....

The original emblems are like gold nowadays. There's a Facebook page devoted entirely to vintage gear shift knobs. Hard to believe, but true. As I have often said, if I had only known then what I know now I would have bought a pickup truck load of gear shift knobs and extensions and put them in the deep freeze. I could retire...

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

1 hour ago, Hobert62 said:

If I found your jewelry this ones really neat.  

Yep, Thats the stuff. We make it here in the USA. Real American designs and production.

Small but we hope to grow it into something. We are also doing embroidered mechanics shirts (full back & shirt pocket). Factory direct on the shirts to our design and we embroider here in Arizona starting now as well. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, AZB755V8 said:

I have a need for a few of each of these very hard to find Emblems. Even harder is to find them in new condition. I am seriously considering having some cast out of bronze. The E9 valve cover Dog was bronze originally and just polished. These were produced one year only from what I can tell around 1993 for the black engine with chrome valve covers in CL700's. The V8 came be chrome plated and they did come gold plated but not solid bronze. These were used from 1963-1979 but I can be corrected. They will be made in the USA and not cheap but affordable. Thinking around $85-95 a piece. Would any of you have an interest in them and maybe the price will come down with a larger order. I am working on the patterns now and finished cost with a foundry. If I used these actual parts for patterns the castings will be about 2-3% smaller due to casting shrinkage. That is not a lot smaller but will be noticeable compared to an original.

IMG_2360.thumb.JPG.7ae0d2537bf8a7edc1daadb7b55ad2c8.JPG 

I'd be very interested for sure! I have a 2 set of the chrome/polished valve Cover that the bulldog emblem came on and I'm missing 2 of the emblems for them and I would be interested in extras along with V8 emblems. Prices seem fare to me. Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks, Josh 

I would take one valve cover bulldog. No real need in a set in the distant future but I'd like to have at least a sample.

Of silver it could be possible to make a shell shaped part, not a solid casting as original bronze is. I suppose not a hell of job to correct the 3D object for. Just have no idea of how the casting machine works with thin forms.

1 hour ago, Vladislav said:

I would take one valve cover bulldog. No real need in a set in the distant future but I'd like to have at least a sample.

Of silver it could be possible to make a shell shaped part, not a solid casting as original bronze is. I suppose not a hell of job to correct the 3D object for. Just have no idea of how the casting machine works with thin forms.

I understand that there are different ways of doing things but every time I go and change it up, it comes back to bite me. It is not the fastest, cheapest or non-original way. It is just the way it was done and I respect that. If I was doing this to make as much money as possible I would not approach it like this. If silver is what is wanted, just pay for it, the difference is about $75 between hollow and solid silver, hollow is not going to happen with me. In perspective there will be approx $125 in a chrome plated bronze one.  To do the bulldog in Solid Silver (6.25 ounces) the price is $250 each, double that of chromed, and there will not be any like it again. If done it will be one run only. Finish weight will be a bit lower due to gating and finishing. I am simply offering to do a small run and not get Mack/Volvo to worry about trademark stuff no more to it than that.

Embroidery we are doing, $60 a shirt, reflective piping, plus flat rate box cost. You can figure which ones are Guys and Ladies

IMG_2366.thumb.JPG.b60a88c278201d860f2022484ebdc20c.JPGIMG_2368.thumb.JPG.a40af105c42682c6d4cae23cb1a33ac0.JPGIMG_2365.thumb.JPG.6b40104fa50a83bf601f3a7431ad4406.JPGIMG_2367.thumb.JPG.56cddade2f686e49798729486cd930cc.JPG

• Like 2

AZB755V8  There is a mob here in Australia already making the chromed V8 badges for $155 .00 Aussie dollar or you can buy them for $55.00 unfinished. i have bought 4 for my 797, 2 for the truck and 2 spares ,they are good quality badges .i used to do high end restos and these would be up there for quality. Ian Lee w.w.w.tyldenheritage.com.au  have a gander at his site

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steve p said:

AZB755V8  There is a mob here in Australia already making the chromed V8 badges for $155 .00 Aussie dollar or you can buy them for $55.00 unfinished. i have bought 4 for my 797, 2 for the truck and 2 spares ,they are good quality badges .i used to do high end restos and these would be up there for quality. Ian Lee w.w.w.tyldenheritage.com.au  have a gander at his site

Thanks for the info. Sorry for asking but what is a "mob"? Is it man or guy here in the US?

That chromed badge price is almost right on for what I was thinking, converts to $112 USD. So I will not be doing the V-8's as they are already available in AU and fairly priced. I will be concentrating on the Bulldog.

21 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

I understand that there are different ways of doing things but every time I go and change it up, it comes back to bite me. It is not the fastest, cheapest or non-original way. It is just the way it was done and I respect that. If I was doing this to make as much money as possible I would not approach it like this. If silver is what is wanted, just pay for it, the difference is about $75 between hollow and solid silver, hollow is not going to happen with me. In perspective there will be approx $125 in a chrome plated bronze one.  To do the bulldog in Solid Silver (6.25 ounces) the price is $250 each, double that of chromed, and there will not be any like it again. If done it will be one run only. Finish weight will be a bit lower due to gating and finishing. I am simply offering to do a small run and not get Mack/Volvo to worry about trademark stuff no more to it than that.

Embroidery we are doing, $60 a shirt, reflective piping, plus flat rate box cost. You can figure which ones are Guys and Ladies

Yes, I agree on what you think on the matter. With the cost dance of one hundred plus-minus you have much more spending in time and attention.  I know what it is, also have an idea to reproduce Superliner fender turn lights in bronze. i suppose it could be made here in Russia for nearly $100 apiece if order 4-10 castings. Haven't worked it out because no actual need at the moment - no Superliner.

AZB755V8 , Sorry mate some things get lost in translation between Australian sayings / slang and  the rest of the world ,for example "my mob [my family] your mob [your family] or can be a company/ business /group ," REPCO which is a parts co much like your NAPA. " Don't go to REPCO  ,that mob are a rip off" i hope that kind of explains it. Tylden Heritage also does a Bulldog similar to what is used on the rocker covers in alloy ,i haven't seen one yet to judge the quality of the item ,it is 48x 44 mm  not chromed ,$ 16.40 AUD . They also do F700 , R600 , R700 , R800 badges For $190 .00 AUD finished and chromed , i'm not trying to take business away from Barry or anyone else and i don't have anything to do with Tylden Heritage ,i know what it is like looking for hard to get items. Steve

Ian Lee is excellent and very fair man, I recommend his repo badges etc, I have seen his guys working on the bagdes and the chrome guy is also good, the chrome guy redid our post behind the cab to hang the air lines and trailer lights socket - he copper plates the parts before chroming, the chrome lasts unlike many cheap poor quality chromers

• Like 1

I'd still be very interested in the valve cover dogs if your going to get them done. Pm me when your close to needing a head count on haw many to make if you would. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Josh

Edited by Yoos Brothers Construction