Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bullheaded

Heavy Spec Anthem

Recommended Posts

Spotted this at a pit I am hauling out of in northern Ontario, Canada. I was kinda surprised to see an Anthem used for this application with wide base steers.

043 (Large).jpg

044 (Large).jpg

045 (Large).jpg

046 (Large).jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or how about a tri-drive Anthem. Truck and pics courtesy of Nortrux Mack, Edmonton, Alberta.

1 (2).jpg

2 (2).jpg

3 (2).jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And a flat top tri-drive.

694592e498ce2f460b4b785414c7756c.jpg

ee885d8fd956aef77cefac39e1c44e9e.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

Spotted this at a pit I am hauling out of in northern Ontario, Canada. I was kinda surprised to see an Anthem used for this application with wide base steers.

043 (Large).jpg

044 (Large).jpg

045 (Large).jpg

046 (Large).jpg

I'm sure it's a "Dumb" Question,!!!

But, why do the Trailer axles have Different Spreads?? A big, No No.. here..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would appear that some MACK dealers still know enough about trucks, to be able to build what the customer wants not just what is in the brochures on his desk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nortrux is one of the few dealers in Canada where I see they still spec all pedigreed trucks. Mack transmissions and rears and suspensions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC the Granite chassis was an option on the Pinnacle, good to see that option still available on the Anthem. Problem is, that capable chassis is going to need more than 505 HP from a 13 liter engine to run at 50 tons and above...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good as a dump hauler but needs the Cummins x15 to compete with Pete.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks better like that with the big steers and flat top than it does as a highway truck.

 

I just wish they could find a designer than can come up with some better looking air intakes than those screen doors on the sides of the hood. At least those goofy mirrors can be deleted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And they need the stylized bulldog mirrors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2018 at 1:23 AM, Bullheaded said:

Spotted this at a pit I am hauling out of in northern Ontario, Canada. I was kinda surprised to see an Anthem used for this application with wide base steers.

043 (Large).jpg

044 (Large).jpg

045 (Large).jpg

046 (Large).jpg

This truck is owned by a gentleman who owns a fleet of Petes and KWs.  Don't get to excited about Mack getting into this Paccar fleet. The son of the owner is an apprentice at a Mack dealer and convinced Dad to buy it. They still have Paccar products ordered and on the way. 

It's only a 14.6 and 46 spec. Mdrive blah blah. Lots of elecectrical issues with that one already. The owner of the fleet drives it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2018 at 11:48 AM, Lmackattack said:

im still not sold on them. even when they are "dressed up" they still look like a entry level plastic truck. The look of them are just not what I would want in a truck. the body lines are all wrong with the hood. it needs to be a little flatter on top and longer so that the engine is under the hood not the cab. the small hood with a engine stuffed under the cab just screams $$$$$ every time it needs a simple repair.The air tank set up is not pleasing to the eye. Stack location behind sleeper is good for aero but should have other options.

Engine location is no different than on an "old" pinnacle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's to bad, I think they look pretty good but MACK hasn't made a good truck since volvo took over hagerstown. And yes I know it was an epa green push that killed all the big V8's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin posted a couple days ago that the Scania V8 would need a wide front frame like Macks used to use due to it's width. I looked up the V8's dimensions and I'm afraid he's right, and with inline 6s dominating the market here there's no incentive for truck makers to build a wider or drop front frame. So while you could probably fit a Scania V8 in a CL or the other chassis that hosted the Mack V8, It looks like the Scania V8 won't fit any current International chassis. Wonder if the tooling for the drop front frame section from the Transtar days is still around...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Scania V8, in truck applications, is rated to 730hp.

Imagine a next generation International cab and hood (ProStar/LT replacement) atop a (V8 compatible) Scania platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the open testing of Scania cabovers and VW light trucks here, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if such a test "mule" is already on the road. Guess I'm gonna have to get familiar with Scania's chassis...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2018 at 11:38 AM, Bullheaded said:

I think it looks better like that with the big steers and flat top than it does as a highway truck.

 

I just wish they could find a designer than can come up with some better looking air intakes than those screen doors on the sides of the hood. At least those goofy mirrors can be deleted.

Those big steers are just show. You can get up to s 16f axle on an Anthem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

Kevin posted a couple days ago that the Scania V8 would need a wide front frame like Macks used to use due to it's width. I looked up the V8's dimensions and I'm afraid he's right, and with inline 6s dominating the market here there's no incentive for truck makers to build a wider or drop front frame. So while you could probably fit a Scania V8 in a CL or the other chassis that hosted the Mack V8, It looks like the Scania V8 won't fit any current International chassis. Wonder if the tooling for the drop front frame section from the Transtar days is still around...?

To bad Volvo-Mack does't offer the Cummins ISX15 , 400-600 horsepower with up to 2050 pound-feet torque. Any idea way Volvo-MACK won't offer it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • As stated above the pinnacle can be ordered with the Granite chassis. So why aren't there more heavy duty pinnacles and granites sold as tractors? Hmm let's put on our thinking caps.  Why is Pete/KW-WS-Shaker kicking Mack's ass. NO BIG BORES ALLOWED IN THOSE SHORT HOODS PERHAPS !! :wacko:
Edited by james j neiweem
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, james j neiweem said:
  • As stated above the pinnacle can be ordered with the Granite chassis. So why aren't there more heavy duty pinnacles and granites sold as tractors? Hmm let's put on our thinking caps.  Why is Pete/KW-WS-Shaker kicking Mack's ass. NO BIG BORES ALLOWED IN THOSE SHORT HOODS PERHAPS !! :wacko:

Price....price.....price......and the lack of a X15/DD15/DD16 competing powerplant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of GU 813's pulling 8 axle MI gravel trains here in Michigan. I have seen a few new Anthem's with 7 axle MI tankers already. My 1998 CL 713 dump is setup for 145,000 GVW with a E7 460, it gets the job done and is good on fuel too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Welcome to BMT!

...The world's best antique, classic & modern Mack Truck support forum! Founded in 2000, BigMackTrucks.com is the place to go for everything related to Mack Trucks!

BMT!

BigMackTrucks.com is owned and operated by Watt's Truck Center, New Alexandria, PA. This forum and it's contents are not affiliated with Mack Trucks, Inc. or Volvo Trucks North America.

×