1959 Chevrolet Spartan 100 Tractor

j hancock

I thought I had already responded to this but guess not.  I have a 1961 Chevy C80 with a 348, independent front suspension and air brakes.  The two speed rear does not work so it is very slow.   It could use new king pins but  the previous owner could only find one pair in California for $1000, so it did not get them.  Probably none available now.  I had it at Macungie this year.  Maybe someone had a picture.  Mike. 

• Like 1

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a8b8d98f5855eef7imageproxy.php?img=&key=a8b8d98f5855eef7My pic of the green dump taken in 2013.

I drove a 61 LCF 70 rollback from NJ to Cape Charles, Virginia as a kid.

It had the big six and a 4 speed and 2 speed rear on disc wheels.  It was a good riding truck but boy did that thing use oil.

DSC02890 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Chuck P
  • Like 2

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

I remember a gmc like the pic 60 61 an old guy hauled asphalt with up in no.va . it had that ind, front suspension that was so weak he carried 2 large rubber blocks around that he would stick in the a frames while waiting to load . put his 8 1/2 to 9 tons on go dump it` take his blocks out go back to the plant and do it all over

Edited by carlotpilot
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Chuck P said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a8b8d98f5855eef7imageproxy.php?img=&key=a8b8d98f5855eef7My pic of the green dump taken in 2013.

I drove a 61 LCF 70 rollback from NJ to Cape Charles, Virginia at a kid.

It had the big six and a 4 speed and 2 speed rear on disc wheels.  It was a good riding truck but boy did that thing use oil.

DSC02890 - Copy.JPG

Don't remember seeing it but had I, for sure I would have been checking it out-is it as rust free as this picture would lead you to believe?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 10:53 PM, Joe Ditchkus said:

Jim I do not think the   409 Chevy was produced in 1959. I would think 348. Double hump heads on both.

Chevy 348 and 409 were W-series Mark I Big Block Engines and they wouldn't have had Double Hump / Fuelie Heads. Double Hump / Fuelies heads were only available on Chevy Small Block Engines.

• Like 1

Mack 11E.jpg

30 minutes ago, tenfive0 said:

Chevy 348 and 409 were W-series Mark I Big Block Engines and they wouldn't have had Double Hump / Fuelie Heads. Double Hump / Fuelies heads were only available on Chevy Small Block Engines.

i think by "double hump heads"  he was referring to the distinctive design of the head that made it look like there were two "humps" in the heads where the spark plugs were.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

same here. 

double hump heads are fuelly heads, and 348-409 were referred to as "W" heads. 

back in 76 we had a 64 impala that had a 427 "W" head 4 speed in it. that was one scary car. especially when you opened up both 4 barrels!!!

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 9/12/2018 at 9:49 AM, BillyT said:

Joe is the "Twin Rocks" TS, restaurant, still in existence, ate there all the time.

Thanks.  Maybe I’ll look into that.  They were using the truck and needed king pins for inspection.  I have it register as Antique so it doesn’t need inspection.  Hopefully it does not affect the safety.  Mike.