1948 Mack LJ tractor - looking to possibly purchase

Howdy kids

Every year after Macungie it gets my mind flowing to search for another truck to save. I found this 48 LJ but as you can see it needs work. It’s missing all the windows, the guy doesn’t know the status of the motor as it doesn’t run. I don’t know what motor it has either. They couldn’t give me much information on it at all  

What is parts availability for these compared to say a B model? Also does anyone have an idea of how much it weighs? My business partner has a IH rollback and was wondering if it can handle picking it up? 

Here are a few pictures. If any one knows the truck, I would appreciate any info. 

Thanks. 

49982CE0-49AE-42D7-A009-89C29948A97D.jpeg

3AC7042E-5E29-44DE-8440-47AB078C130B.jpeg

EE7661EE-1DD4-45C5-BEB1-1308B4F11E82.jpeg

CDDD883B-9513-4D72-8276-9EF0AF1DB101.jpeg

• Like 1

JT, saying honestly it's not your cup of tea as it seems to me. Especially after you described me your typical week shedule.

The engine in that truck is gasser, probably EN510 or so. It's not a diesel so a carb rebuld is on your way no questions. First thing to check on it is try to turn the crank over. Could be stuck what would be meaning the end of the deal. Fixing the cab would take as much amount of cash or job as fixing a small car body in same condition. Sure you might try put it on the road just the way it looks now. But fixing the winds, wipers, door locks and too possibly the seats and wiring under the dash wouldn't be avoided.

Sure everything is possible, the engine compartment would take END673 or even a 237 as a direct swap. But all in all that thing would be 2-3 years long story doing it yourself (or more probaly 4-5 y.l.) or something like 35-150K resto job if outsorsed. I'm not too familiar with costs of resto jobs in your part of the world. But judge over the amount of work seen.

One thing is almost clean - that project wohld be 10-15 times more worthy than fixing your former toy made by GMC.

Anyway neat looking truck and I would be likely to grab it for something like $2K if could afford the shipping.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

6 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

JT, saying honestly it's not your cup of tea as it seems to me. Especially after you described me your typical week shedule.

The engine in that truck is gasser, probably EN510 or so. It's not a diesel so a carb rebuld is on your way no questions. First thing to check on it is try to turn the crank over. Could be stuck what would be meaning the end of the deal. Fixing the cab would take as much amount of cash or job as fixing a small car body in same condition. Sure you might try put it on the road just the way it looks now. But fixing the winds, wipers, door locks and too possibly the seats and wiring under the dash wouldn't be avoided.

Sure everything is possible, the engine compartment would take END673 or even a 237 as a direct swap. But all in all that thing would be 2-3 years long story doing it yourself (or more probaly 4-5 y.l.) or something like 35-150K resto job if outsorsed. I'm not too familiar with costs of resto jobs in your part of the world. But judge over the amount of work seen.

One thing is almost clean - that project wohld be 10-15 times more worthy than fixing your former toy made by GMC.

Anyway neat looking truck and I would be likely to grab it for something like $2K if could afford the shipping.

Vlad,

Thanks for your input. I'm always busy but if the truck is at my yard I'll have some time to tinker between customers/detailing/auctions. Shipping would only cost fuel, since the truck I can borrow. As for restoration, you are right on the $$ amount here in the US as well. I'm not that guy though to do a full restoration. I'm the guy who buys stuff like this, gets it running, fixes a few things, sells it down the road to the next guy who has the time/space/money to do a full resto. My job is to save them from certain death. 

There is also a B46 Concave cab single axle tractor that i've been considering for several years. The motor is stuck from sitting and it has a lot of rust. But, there's something about that truck that keeps drawing me back in. Both are close to the price range you stated. 

If the L has a right price tag on it you may get it. I would expect you to get back something like $2-2.5K if selling. But for the reasons and possibilities you have I'd advice to find something in a range of 10K roadworthy. You will find something to fix in a truck or car of any condition if own it fot some while. During the years on here I saw many quite attractive offers in a range lf 8-12K. And you wouldn't get a truck in such condition for that cost. Sure you pay longer if that's your project and make decitions and choices. But finally it turns out triple more. And very good if it's ever finished.

Looks like one from the Haul of Fame auction a few years ago.

Glass is all flat be about the same cost as my mixer to have cut near $300.00 +or -.  See if the engine moves, that and glass is half your battle to make it flip-able.  Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks guys. I figured between 10-11k lbs but wanted to be sure. Right now a truck for $10-12k I can’t do it that would have opened up a lot of possibilities. Something in the $2-4 range I can swing and then do some tinkering. I’m not committed to this one yet. 

The other truck I’ve considered the past two years is a B46 concave cab that’s been posted here for sale here before. It’s An ambitious project but it deserves to get saved as well. 

Then of course I found an R600 tandem tractor this morning. If it’s a little further away and getting it back to NJ would be costly. 

FE5AA2B3-3D52-453B-B247-3F4B5FA5B262.jpeg

026C321E-4DBA-4EA4-B77F-7EE4C81A5458.jpeg

3005AC39-1D83-43F5-B4F8-D69B2D50EFE9.jpeg

01A327D2-1FEA-4E8A-B37C-F8A4B70FB4A1.jpeg

Edited by JTFormula
  • Like 2

JT, on my mind you better start with at least running truck. As I mentioned above you will discover many unexpected surprises when start owning it. So having some "basic point" on the subject it would be more easy to continue. Might be worth making a try to offer the seller some extra cash for bring the truck to nearly road ready condition.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Unathleticdad said:

Interesting.  I had it backwards.  For future reference, is it easy to put a soft nose grill on a hard nose truck?  I really like that rounded look.

It is easy if you have all the parts.

Obviously you will need the soft nose.  Typical LJ hard nose runs bicycle fenders and the lower hood panel has a straight edge at the bottom.  An LJ soft nose has fenders with a splash apron toward the front and the hood has a curved hood lower edge.  Headlight supports are different as well.  It would be a pretty good list of parts to find and swap.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I decided to keep looking. Though both truck deserve to be saved I came to the realization that I need to find something Diesel and running, or easy to get running. I’m just going to keep squirreling money away and focus on either a B61 or an R model. 

you know these days with those ancient rigs not running.....your better off to find a wrecked heavy duty straight job,,,,bobtail.,,beat up,rolloff,,,exc...and pull out all the running gear alot cheaper and easier to find.......i would love to tackle that LJ myself....but its too far from here...lol.bob