there used to be a 27 kw at a truck shop over in the same complex where the evergreen truck stop used to be  it was a log hauler hooked to a trlr with a single redwood log loaded. and at that time it was driveable . I looked it over just a few days before mt st helens blew its top i believe the owners name was brown   browns truck service       sure hope the one in you`re pic is not the same one

Edited by carlotpilot

I could only find one data plate on that Mack fire truck. It said Mack 85U, Chassis # 85-US-1001.  It looks like it was originally used by the Montecito Fire Dept,

Montecito, Calif. 

• Like 1

One ping only

1 hour ago, j hancock said:

WoW!  Not sure what 85 converts to in civilian Mack designation but it was the first one built.

One strange thing I noticed this morning while looking for the chassis number, you will notice right below the Mack emblem and mounted on the grille is a shiny badge.

It says  {85}.  It's only and  2" tall and 1 1/2" wide.

030.JPG

• Like 1

One ping only

Mack used the metal tags on E, L and A models as well as fire equipment.  The tags used on E and L models for example, are 3/4" wide by 1 1/4" tall,  The use of tags seem to start in the late 1930s to early 50s.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

1 hour ago, yarnall said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll be at the Mack Museum on Thursday.  I'll see if I can find out more. Is there a possibility it is for sale?  It is to far away from me evetif it is.  Mike. 

That would be great if you could find out something about it. Yeah this guy would sell it I believe, I don't think he is that attached to it. 

Edited by Truck Shop

One ping only

Might be not too expensive being put into a sea container and shipped through Panama canal to East coast. Or even over Pacific :)

Our Nigerian member should know it better :):)

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

The Houston, TX Fire Department had two 1940 Mack EB "Type 80" city service ladder trucks. They were coupe cabs with suicide doors. I thought that they might be commercial chassis

with bodies built by another company. Perhaps the Montecito engine was also built by another company. In any case, it is a truck worth saving.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

I sent a e-mail to the fire chief at the Montecito Fire Dept to see if they had any old photos of their past fire engines. Most fire houses keep things like that.

So who knows maybe there is some info there too. 

One ping only