Hello,  I am new to this forum & new to AC ownership.   I just acquired what is thought to be a 1923 Mack with a Woods hoist.    Where would I find the chassis no. & the engine no. once the truck is delivered?  I think it is the 7 1/2 ton model.

Is there someone who sells reproduction name plates, etc.?

Please forgive my ignorance on Macks. I do have several other early trucks, some older than the Mack.

Thank you for any information,

Jack

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. I guarantee that no matter what question you have about your AC someone on this site will have the answer for you. You will not find a more knowledgeable, and friendly, bunch of folks anywhere else.

One of the best things about owning an antique Mack is the Mack still has all of the records of the trucks they made and sold. Once you get the chassis number you can send it to the Mack Museum, with a suitable donation, and they will send you a package of information about your truck including when it was built and where it went for delivery.

The museum also keeps shop drawings of almost every part Mack used in all of their trucks, so if you need to re-create a part you can get the drawing from the museum.

The museum is a non-profit and depends on donations to help keep it going. https://www.macktruckshistoricalmuseum.org/

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

21 hours ago, yarnall said:

Congratulations on the purchase of your AC. The serial number is stamped on the top of the left frame rail in front of the front axle. The hood would sit on it.  What other trucks do you have.  Please post pictures.   Mike.  

Thank you Mike, I will find the no. as soon as the truck arrives.

I do have some other trucks, most of them original & runnable;  1920 White 3/4 ton, 1918 White 3/4 ton, 1920 Paige 2 1/2 ton dump, 1929 REO Speedwagon flat bed, 1938 Terraplane Utility Coupe, 1969 Chrysler built military prototype (amphibious) and some others of lesser quality.

I will post some pictures of the Mack when it is here.    It may take a while since there is a 40 year accumulation of "stuff" between the AC & the door where it is stored.

Jack

Years ago, Phil Baumgartner in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Made high quality reproductions of plates, model numbers, etc.  Demand dropped off after awhile, and then he died.  I am not aware of anyone making repro plates now.  Occasionally, one will pop up on ebay or other places for sale.  Phil was a true gentleman, and did this because he loved old trucks, especially Macks.  

• Like 1

Today I found the frame no. on the Mack - 10314318    Does that sound correct?  The area ahead of the no. has, at some time had something tack welded to the frame & I do not see an arrow ahead of the no. like the one following it.

Is there a way of determining the year & size from the no.?

Thank you,

Jack

Your truck is a five (5) ton model (first two numbers, 10, indicate 5 ton).  I have a serial number list at home which will narrow it down to month and year produced.  Will look it up when I get home later today, and send you what I find.  Steelman

2 hours ago, Jack Innes said:

Today I found the frame no. on the Mack - 10314318    Does that sound correct?  The area ahead of the no. has, at some time had something tack welded to the frame & I do not see an arrow ahead of the no. like the one following it.

Is there a way of determining the year & size from the no.?

Thank you,

Jack

Chassis numbers from 10,314,001 to 10,315,000 produced from April 1927 to January 1928. They are  5 ton chassis.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

39 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Chassis numbers from 10,314,001 to 10,315,000 produced from April 1927 to January 1928. They are  5 ton chassis.

Thank you!        Would a 1927 AC have an engine without cylinder heads?      Mine is that configuration & has a generator but no starter.   Where would I find an engine no.?

Jack

1 hour ago, Jack Innes said:

Thank you!        Would a 1927 AC have an engine without cylinder heads?      Mine is that configuration & has a generator but no starter.   Where would I find an engine no.?

Jack

AC's  had cylinder and head cast as one piece from the on set. The change to separate heads was after 1927 or '28,  but I have to dig out the correct year  of change. Electric starter was an option along with battery ignition and a generator. I do not recall seeing a motor number on any of mine. All my AC 4 and my AC 6  have chassis numbers only on body tag and in all my paper work from the Mack Museum.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1927 advertising literature shows AC engines with no heads.  The "high hat" engine which featured detachable aluminum heads were introduced in 1928.  Your truck is correct with the jug head engine (no heads).  Engines and transmissions had serial numbers, but I cannot remember where the engine number is located.  The chassis number you found on the frame is how the trucks are identified.  Like 41 chevy said, generators (12 volt!) and starters were optional and available.  I have a 1923 AB with both.  

Once again, Thank You!    The truck is sounding to be correct for 1927, I was afraid the engine was older.

Some pictures of a 27 show a trap door in the hood - mine does not have that.  What would be correct?

Would the fenders be stamped or built up like the early trucks?      I am missing the fenders,  would anyone know of a pair?  They do not need to be perfect since I think I may try to preserve the truck rather than make it shiny.  It has quite a bit of original paint.  I will know better once it is here & 40 years worth of dust is washed off.

If it had a starter, where would it be? 

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Cool thing!

Congrats on the purchase.

I like the original dump body too. Fenders are of an easy form and could be reproduced of sheet metal if you really want.

And looks like a good weather in Ontario today:)

Vlad

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

All AC fire apparatus, that I'm aware of, were delivered with a starter and generator so that would be the place to look. The real problem is you have to change the flywheel to get the toothed ring gear.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

On 11/3/2017 at 3:02 AM, Jack Innes said:

Some pictures of a 27 show a trap door in the hood - mine does not have that.  What would be correct?

Jack

Some had the "trap door" in the hoods, for extra cooling when they had the additional tank set up over the top of the engine.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

My AC is a fire truck so it already has a starter.  Art Cooper, the guy who does the restorations for John Haines, has ring gears made and out on then he uses GM starters.  He has done it with several AB and ACs.  I could get you more information if you are interested.    Neat truck.  Keep the pictures coming.  Mike. 

Not much progress on the AC but I have determined that the hoist cylinder is not stuck.   I have a 1920 Paige 2 1/2 ton with a Wood hoist & it has an odd looking pipe near the top that is much larger than the pipe to the pump.  Does anyone know if there is a check or something in that line or perhaps it was just a way of making the pipe fit?

I also have assembled all of the loose body parts & other than fenders I have good patterns for everything.

I also have a good Adlake tail light on the way to go with the side lights that I have had for 40 years.

Jack

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 1

I would be interested in information on the starter and ring gear for AC's.  Doesn't the aluminum lower part of the engine have the hole where the starter bolts.  Do you have to cut that in, or are all AC engines already preped for a Starter?  I don't remember seeing this on all of the AC engines I have.