BILLYT to the waterlogged courtesy phone........

Freightrain

Hey.............so I'm at Thompson Saturday for a stick race and while I'm at my trailer waiting for another round this fellow comes up to me and says....."I know someone on a mack website that knows you.  He lives in Florida".   I kinda get that deer in the headlights looks and then I start to ponder.  Hmmm, Hat?  Nah............then he says "the guys name is Bill".   Hey, that's BILLYT!!   Yup.  Seems your buddy "Bob" wanted to tell me that whatever long legged story you try to make up about him.........is likely TRUE!

Hope you're weathering the storm okay!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Freightrain, Bob called me over the wknd.said he talked to you! Glad you two drag racing fools got to meet! His buddies friends daughter won "Jr dragster,"can't remember if it was at Thompson or Quaker city! We had no damage from Irma, but our powers been off since Tuesday! We're in a motel waiting for the power to go back on! Glad Hat City "dodged the bullet" He was lucky to have a generator! There wasn't one to be found in Hernando County! This is the first time in 25 yrs we've had an extended power outage! Tragically a lady down here bought a generator, somewhere in Pasco county, and ran it all night while her and her 7yr.old daughter were sleeping, had it in the house!! Her daughter is dead and she is in the hospital, from carbon monoxide poisoning! Every news report warns to not run one in the house!,and the warnings are printed all over the generator!, She'll live with that the rest of her life!

This story sounds damn sad. Unfortunately it becomes a common idea or life style to not needing any education on things, just paying them over and being Ok. No doubt such approach heads to losses. But nobody would think a loss might be a kid's life.

Hope you FL guys are getting Ok.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Thanks for the sentiments guys! Our power went back on Thursday evening! We are back in the house,and can eat some cooked food! Got tired of Burger King and Micky Ds! That thing about the little kid dying is almost too awful to contemplate! Maybe the people who sell generators should give the buyers a verbal warning about not running them in a closed space and force them to sign a document to this effect,perhaps with pictures of funerals of those who died from carbon monoxide poisoning! with a fine for running generators in a closed space,like a code violation!

I'm sure that generator came with a full packet of warnings and instructions.   Who ever reads them?  Some people just don't think much.   Just the reason a hair dryer has a warning tag on it to NOT use it in the tub.  Well, duh.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Our neighborhood is a disaster of debris.  Our neighborhood was the first in Winter Park to have the power lines buried.  As a result, even though it looks like a war zone, we never lost power.  I had the generator ready to go if we did though.

Sadly, a colleague's 84 year old neighbor attempted to fill her generator at night without shutting it off and while using a kerosene lantern as a light source.  As a result she's in the burn unit at Orlando Regional Medical Center, 2 of 3 dogs are dead and the house is going to be a bulldozer special once the insurance adjuster is done with it.

By Tuesday afternoon, we were getting alerts on our iphones (like the ones for Amber Alerts or Silver Alerts) about the dangers of operating generators indoors or near open windows.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

6 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I'm sure that generator came with a full packet of warnings and instructions.   Who ever reads them?  Some people just don't think much.   Just the reason a hair dryer has a warning tag on it to NOT use it in the tub.  Well, duh.

Yes, speaking of which, it is best to throw away any hair dryer in your household that doesn't have a GFCI (ALCI) in it's cord.  Horrible tragic accidents have happened over the years and why have that risk in your house.  Old  hair dryers should be discarded.  Here a reprint from the web...

Appliance Leakage Circuit Interrupters explained

The buttons are part of a device called an Appliance Leakage Circuit Interrupter (ALCI). All hair dryers these days have them, for good reason.

Many years ago, the appliance industry received reports of hair dryers electrocuting small children in the bathtub, according to John Drengenberg, consumer safety director at UL, which develops product safety standards. “They would try to use it as a toy,” he says.

When an electrical appliance that’s plugged in is immersed in water, electricity can leak out of it and shock you. Unfortunately, circuit breakers in your home react too slowly to protect against electrocution (they’re designed primarily to prevent fires). Manufacturers started outfitting hair dryers with ALCIs after UL mandated them. If the ALCI detects a change in the electrical current, it will cut power to the appliance within a few milliseconds.

Related: 8 Ways You Didn’t Know You Could Get an Electric Shock or Electrical Burn

“We don't recommend tempting fate and trying it,” by immersing a hair dryer in water, says Drengenberg. But if you do it by accident, “it should protect you.”

If the ALCI cuts off the power to your hair dryer, turn it off and unplug it. Then press the reset button and plug it back in. The test button allows you to cut off power manually. It also, as its name suggests, allows you to test that the ALCI is working. Just plug the hair dryer in, press test, and the dryer should stop working. (To get it working again, unplug it and press the reset button.) Hair dryer manufacturers recommend testing the ALCI before each time you use the device, though that might be overkill.

Today, portable hair dryers without a circuit interrupter are considered hazardous and can be recalled, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

14 hours ago, General Ike said:

Our neighborhood is a disaster of debris.  Our neighborhood was the first in Winter Park to have the power lines buried.  As a result, even though it looks like a war zone, we never lost power.  I had the generator ready to go if we did though.

Sadly, a colleague's 84 year old neighbor attempted to fill her generator at night without shutting it off and while using a kerosene lantern as a light source.  As a result she's in the burn unit at Orlando Regional Medical Center, 2 of 3 dogs are dead and the house is going to be a bulldozer special once the insurance adjuster is done with it.

By Tuesday afternoon, we were getting alerts on our iphones (like the ones for Amber Alerts or Silver Alerts) about the dangers of operating generators indoors or near open windows.

good to hear you made out fine General.

very sorry to hear about neighbor

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Glad to hear everyone survived more or less intact.

Unfortunately some folks seem more afraid of having their generator stolen then they are of dying, hence the need to run them indoors.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!