Mack built about 1,500 3208 powered DM's and probably all of them went to the military for refueling trucks.  Then retired to be refurbed for fire dept. tankers.

Could be refurbed again into a crane chassis for sign work...

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Looks like Sandwich, MA Fire Department's old tanker. I don't think that it had that box behind the cab when it was a fire tanker. Sandwich is on Cape Cod.

bulldogboy

I had an L8000 crane truck with that engine and trans. My god it was slow, I changed it over to a rt910, still slow but it gave me something to do while I was driving. One thing about a 3208 it didn't matter how cold it was you could open the door in the morning, turn the key and it would be running instantly.

Jim, that's the first thing I thought of but I want an R

3 minutes ago, bulldogboy said:

Looks like Sandwich, MA Fire Department's old tanker. I don't think that it had that box behind the cab when it was a fire tanker. Sandwich is on Cape Cod.

bulldogboy

Truck is in next town over from Sandwich so it probably is Sandwich's

Hundreds, if not thousands, of 3208 equipped C model Ford fire trucks were in service over the years. They were a pretty good engine for that use. And I believe Cat used the 3208 in a lot of heavy equipment applications.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Maybe the cab got damaged and a U model cab was used as a replacement?  The U model always stayed with a flat back but did receive the plastic dash. 

If it is an 83 DM, it would have had a plastic dash and the Plus 3 cab.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

40 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Maybe the cab got damaged and a U model cab was used as a replacement?  The U model always stayed with a flat back but did receive the plastic dash. 

If it is an 83 DM, it would have had a plastic dash and the Plus 3 cab.

OK-always thought the blown out back panel was across the board.

On 8/3/2017 at 8:13 PM, j hancock said:

Mack built about 1,500 3208 powered DM's and probably all of them went to the military for refueling trucks.  Then retired to be refurbed for fire dept. tankers.

Could be refurbed again into a crane chassis for sign work...

It could have been that the military ordered them with the short cabs - for whatever reason.