Went to Mack today to get some primary and secondary fuel filters and a coolant filter for my R model.

They brought me out 2 Mack brand fuel filters, both gray with some unknown part number on them and a coolant filter from Carquest. Said the Mack green and red filters are no more.  The coolant filter was not Mack branded, it was a Napa or Carquest number?... and of course one of them did not fit.

This used to be so simple.

Thanks Volvo

• Like 2

I've used Baldwin filters since I guess the early eighties.

Always had good luck with them.

After having problems with Mack branded oil filters crushing when trying to remove them (even when grabbing them all the way at the top by the clinch bead)

The last straw was when I had two of them on the same truck have the shell start spinning without the top of it! Put the filter wrench on the first one up high and started to finesse it off, good, it broke loose, wrong the shell was just spinning, WTF!

Second one did the same thing, WTF!!!

Had to chisel both of them off!

Never had that problem after I changed to the Baldwin filters.

Only problem I had was with one of our employees named Jim who was many years my senior.

First time I ordered the Baldwin filters Jim and I were opening the cases of fuel filters and when we got to the scondaries I saw the look of disgust on his face.

I knew what the problem was but asked him anyway. "They're all red!" I said "that's why they have numbers on them, if it will make you feel better I'll get you a can of green spray paint!"

Needless to say he wasn't very happy with me!

Ron

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 10:57 AM, Lmackattack said:
Went to Mack today to get some primary and secondary fuel filters and a coolant filter for my R model. They brought me out 2 Mack brand fuel filters, both gray with some unknown part number on them and a coolant filter from Carquest. Said the Mack green and red filters are no more.  The coolant filter was not Mack branded, it was a Napa or Carquest number?... and of course one of them did not fit.

This used to be so simple.

Thanks Volvo

If it doesn't have an MP motor in it they probably couldn't care less!

Ron

[emoji19]

• Like 1

I just bought filters at Watt's.  I bought them separately since I do not use a coolant "filter".  The secondary fuel filter (pn 25501624) is green.  The oil filters are black (pn 21939298).  Barry said the primary fuel filter w/water separator (old pn 483GB465 new pn 25505088) is on back order.  Not sure if it will be red or ???  The Centrimax II rotor kit has 57GC2134A on the box and 85136709 on the label.  The Centrimax II filter shows pn 236GB244B on the canister.

Ron - I had one hell of a time removing the spin on fuel and oil filters.  I thought they were seized.  What do you think is the reason for the difference in how easily the filters are removed?

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I had one hell of a time removing the spin on fuel and oil filters.  I thought they were seized.  What do you think is the reason for the difference in how easily the filters are removed?

Sometimes it depends on whether you take them off with the engine hot or cold. It is usually easier to spin them when they are hot if you can get to them without burning your hands. It also depends on whether the installer oiled up the o-ring before the filter was installed. And sometimes the installer just over tightens them.:(

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

16 hours ago, farmer52 said:
I just bought filters at Watt's.  I bought them separately since I do not use a coolant "filter".  The secondary fuel filter (pn 25501624) is green.  The oil filters are black (pn 21939298).  Barry said the primary fuel filter w/water separator (old pn 483GB465 new pn 25505088) is on back order.  Not sure if it will be red or ???  The Centrimax II rotor kit has 57GC2134A on the box and 85136709 on the label.  The Centrimax II filter shows pn 236GB244B on the canister.
Ron - I had one hell of a time removing the spin on fuel and oil filters.  I thought they were seized.  What do you think is the reason for the difference in how easily the filters are removed?

Ken,
I don't think there was any difference in how easily the filters were to remove torque wise. I always thought it was just a difference in materials and in my opinion the Baldwin filters were stronger and wouldn't collapse as easy. That might be all different now for all I know.
I can remember when the Mack filters used to vary from time to time. One time you'd order filters and they would be gold. The gold fuel filters would have different colored lettering on them (red for primary, green for secondary). Seemed like next time the filters would be different colors? Might have been whoever gave the Mack Co. the best shake that week (WGB, Fram, or Purolater)?
The oil filters were always hard to get off, as I said above you had to use a little finesse getting them to break loose.
The filters on hobby trucks I would imagine are even harder for the simple fact of how infrequent the filter changes are compared to when they were used in regular service.
This is the wrench to use when removing the oil filters, this and a 1/2" drive long ratchet with a 1" extension.
Ronea180611aa665ca9b7b672bd9b794d61.jpg

• Like 2

Ron, Mack dealer parts departments could order Mack-branded filters from Fram or Hastings thru our marvelous vendor "ship-direct" program. Most dealers chose Fram.

For years, Fram was the sole supplier. We added Hastings later as a second vendor.

The Mack vendor "ship-direct" program also allowed dealers to order directly from Donaldson, Farr and Racor (via Parker-Hannifin).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Ron, Mack dealer parts departments could order Mack-branded filters from Fram or Hastings thru our marvelous vendor "ship-direct" program. Most dealers chose Fram.

For years, Fram was the sole supplier. We added Hastings later as a second vendor.

The Mack vendor "ship-direct" program also allowed dealers to order directly from Donaldson, Farr and Racor (via Parker-Hannifin).

I always thought WGB was one of the suppliers too.
The Mack Co., I always thought had some pretty strong ties with the WGB Oil Clarifier Corp. of Kingston, NY
Weren't they the ones the Mack Co. worked with to develop the full flow/bypass oil filter that was first used with the introduction of the END864 V8?

Ron

I'm not familiar with WGB.

When we introduced Centrimax, taking a cue from the fantastic Glacier centrifugal filters on the Scania-Vabis engines, they were not produced by Fram. They were produced by Glacier who made the Spinner II. UK-based Glacier was acquired by Germany's Mann+Hummel in 1997.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:
I'm not familiar with WGB. When we introduced Centrimax, taking a cue from the fantastic centrifugal filters on the Scania-Vabis engines, they were not produced by Fram. They were produced by Glacier, who was acquired by Germany's Mann+Hummel.

Bob Honour from Matlack had something to do with the Centrimax filter too.

I don't remember for sure where I saw it but I remember the Glacier name.

It was either on one of the housings or an element at one time.

Thank goodness they came up with this for the ESI plus service interval. The 58 qt. oil pan was a disaster in the making in my opinion. If it didn't crack, I'd worry about something hitting it.

Ron

• Like 1

When I changed oil filters on the 237 this spring, the std filter at Mack was not the same number as last year?  I had to ask to make sure it was going to fit.  It did.  No issues with it, same basic filter with a new part number.  Still pretty cheaply prices compared to a std car filter(FL1A is like $8) and I got this big Mack filter for $7?

I'm still running the same coolant filter.  Didn't really think with the mileage I put on that I need to change that every spring.  Doing the oil is kinda moot, but I figure I'll give it some lovin'.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Keep this in mind...just because it shows WIX, Baldwin, etc. on the "can" does not necessarily mean the filter was manufactured in their facility.  Filter manufacturers often produce filters for other filter companies.  During my professional career I have toured several filter OEs and it was interesting to see their competitor's filters going down the assembly line.  It depends on filter substrate, quantity, process, etc.  I always buy OE branded filters (Mack, Delco, MOPAR, JD, CAT, etc.) since they likely have a quality control process to keep the filter manufacturers "honest".  Otherwise it is like the "fox watching the hen house".  I am not saying the filters are defective but why take the chance.  The engine OEs have primary suppliers and secondary suppliers.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

• 7 months later...
On 6/8/2017 at 5:46 PM, farmer52 said:

Barry said the primary fuel filter w/water separator (old pn 483GB465 new pn 25505088) is on back order.  Not sure if it will be red or ??? 

I went to what once was Reading Mack yesterday they didn't have this filter either  It didn't show up in their system??? I have a question about this filter mine looks like it is upside down.. or is the petcock supposed to face up? 

20180204_104542.jpg

Edited by 6368

On 2017-06-08 at 5:54 PM, Back In Black Pulling said:

I got Wix filters at local parts store just so i would not have to deal with the Idiots the dealer has behind the counter now

I got mine from my carquest store in town for years along with  Texaco Ursa 15w40 oil in 5 gallon pails and the carquest filters were made by wix then had good luck with them but now they don’t carry my Texaco oil and carquest filters aren’t wix anymore, so I use Chevron Delo now and Mack filters from my dealer but I only have to change oil in mine in the spring now as I only show it anymore, would like to get wix filters again though . Do you have the filter #’s ? I got another source for wix filters .