Cops...

RowdyRebel

Your first mistake is confusing a Revenue agent with a person truly concerned with safety, secondly they have the right to do any thing they want except up hold the constitution and enforce laws that are really about safety, ask em that's their story, but you did get a clean inspection and that is good for your "Safety Rating".  

• Like 2

...and I'm pretty sure it wasn't your usual trooper...nicely polished dress shoes and a clean, crisp uniform. Unmarked cruiser that was rather new...probably not in circulation more than a few months at most. I knew as soon as I saw him walk around to my side of the truck where I could get a good look at him that he wouldn't be crawling under the truck.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

That's exactly why I'm putting my old MH on the road... Any unscheduled delay during the day is going to cost with E-logs. I've had that discussion with my boss many times. Bad enough you missed your visit to the tack shop. Drivers' time ain't worth anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I would've known what the mandate was going to be when my engine let go, I would've just bought another truck that was a little bit older. It was published 2 days before I got my truck back, though...$23K into a truck 13 months too new.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

If I would've known what the mandate was going to be when my engine let go, I would've just bought another truck that was a little bit older. It was published 2 days before I got my truck back, though...$23K into a truck 13 months too new.

And now this E-logs mandate affects your resale value as well. A 1999 is worth more than a 2000-01. FMCSA should cut you a check.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fortune Worldwide 500, transportation companies: http://fortune.com/global500/list/filtered?sector=Transportation

Not a single one in the top 100, and not a single trucking only company made the top 500. Even the biggest trucking company has less bargaining power than at least 500 companies, so the trucking industry has little bargaining power in relation to their big corporate customers. And the little guys with one truck or a small fleet? The big corporations have you all fighting with each other for money losing hauls while the CEOs buy million dollar Ferraris while you work hundred hour weeks trying to eke out a living with decades old trucks!

• Like 1

Many thoughts!, Teamster Grrrl, don't The UPS otr drivers get an hourly rate based on the miles/time of the run which is surgically planned from several test runs? I ask this because many years ago I was running with a couple of UPS doubles drivers and they said the best thing that ever happened to them was the lowering of the speed limit to 55 because their runs are based on the average time it would take to do the run legally! Paradoxically, the non union and mileage based drivers tend to hate the lower speed limit( California anyone?) 

Would someone enlighten me on the computer logs?Do the 99 and older trucks lack the electronics to support the computer logs? I'm seeing all these used truck ads on Craigslist that promote the fact that the truck doesn't require E logs! Similar to the "non CDL trucks under 26000 gvw " which enable corporate America to hire unqualified unsafe drivers for low wages! "What pre trip inspection" ?There is a cliche for every situation in life, the one that applies to older trucks suddenly  becoming more valuable than newer ones is "it's an ill wind that blows nobody good!"

Most UPS runs are on hourly pay, but there are a few that pay by mileage. On the mileage runs, they are also paid at hourly rate for time fueling, delays, etc.. As far as trucks needing electronic controlled engines to support ELDs, back in the 90s when UPS first started using their "IVIS" ELDs, almost all of their trucks had mechanical engines.

Like Rowdy said, we all have a right to go through our work day without being surveiled or harassed. I equate E-logs to a convict wearing an ankle bracelet. UPS has linehaul runs, scientifically prepared terminal to terminal runs meticulously calculated to be within logbook compliance. Most other trucking operations don't work that way. There are too many variables involved where the driver loses time=lost revenue. I don't mind working for my money, but when I spend the same time away from home for less money, then I must draw the line.

• Like 2