Starting from Dry

I truly am an uneducated boob when it comes to this stuff so I appreciate any guidance that can be provided. We recently resurfaced the interior of our gas tank, replaced fuel lines and had the carb rebuilt (35 B Series- Fire Truck). So needless to say, the fuel system is completely dry. What do i need to do before trying to start her up? 

23 minutes ago, alex g said:

Fill up your tank probably have to pour a small amount of fuel down carb to get it to start after that your off to the races

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Next question, it's a side mount Zenith Carb, so you can't just pour fuel down it as it sits sideways. I don't really want to detach it again. Do I use a starter spray, assuming I can get to the opening?

Try your best not to use starting fluid in this application.

WD-40 would be better.  It is flammable and is not as volatile as starting fluid.

This style of bottle is handy.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/liquid-squeeze-bottles/squeeze-bottle-combo-sku084037000-1198-4228.aspx

I am not familiar with the carb on your vehicle but many carb float bowls are vented to the atmosphere.  You could top that off using the vent before you start cranking.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

My original 1972 149 still starts perfectly.  Did headgasket a couple summers ago, no ridge on cylinder.  Runs perfect.  I do worry about the balance gears in it, so I don't run it up full throttle(like most say to). About 1/2 throttle is more then enough to do the work and it never struggles.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yep, guys, WD40 is a good starting fluid! The propellant " lights" the engine and the lubricant prevents it from washing lubricant off the cylinder walls! However most of the newer starting ether claims to have lubricant! KSB, the best small engine I've owned was a two cylinder Wisconsin made by Teledyne! Was on a Hobart welder, but the Kohler has a good reputation! I've never had any small engine "puke"  on me it's almost always the fuel system or electrical problems that puts them in the scrap heap!

5 hours ago, BillyT said:

Yep, guys, WD40 is a good starting fluid! The propellant " lights" the engine and the lubricant prevents it from washing lubricant off the cylinder walls! However most of the newer starting ether claims to have lubricant! KSB, the best small engine I've owned was a two cylinder Wisconsin made by Teledyne! Was on a Hobart welder, but the Kohler has a good reputation! I've never had any small engine "puke"  on me it's almost always the fuel system or electrical problems that puts them in the scrap heap!

Billy, Wisconsin engines have been rare birds in my life. I saw more Clinton engines on Yazoo push mowers.