Market Share Increasing

This news article is from January 12, 1999.

Under foreign aggressor Volvo ownership, the Mack "brand" ranks no. 6 (the Volvo brand ranks no. 5).

http://www.todaystrucking.com/mack-records-sixth-straight-year-of-us-market-share-growth

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mack records sixth straight year of U.S. market share growth

Today’s Trucking  /  January 22, 1999

LEHIGH VALLEY, Pa. -- Mack Trucks Inc. recorded its sixth straight year of market share growth in U.S. class-8 retail sales last year, but lost ground in Canada.

The company said it closed 1998 with 26,801 U.S. Class 8 retail sales, which represented 12.8% of the heavy-truck market. This is an increase from 12.5% in 1997, making Mack the only U.S. class 8 truck manufacturer to consistently increase its market share over the last six years.

The company's Canadian subsidiary, Mack Canada Inc., increased its retail sales volume by 4.2%, to 2886 vehicles. This represented a 10% share of the Canadian market, compared to 10.4% in 1997.

Mack is North America’s No. 3 class-8 truckmaker, behind Freightliner Corp. and Navistar International.

3 hours ago, Jeff M said:

That story looks to be 18 years old.

Ya, wrong link. But the latest issue of Today's Trucking just had another article saying their market share has increased. I just copied the old link by mistake, LOL.

All kidding aside Mack is gaining market share because the M-Drive is a game changer and the engine packages are much more reliable. WE have seen a dramatic decrease in the types of heavy engine work we were doing in our shops 4-5 years ago - becoming more of a challenge to keep our 24 technicians busy and productive. WE just became a Certified Volvo/Mack Uptime Center in February 2017 so hopefully that will channel more work our way.

Jim Toussaint

Division Operations Manager - Worldwide Equipment Inc

Knoxville / Middlesboro / Crossville / Morristown / Asheville Highway

"Mack Trucks achieved a 1% market share gain in 2016"

Even with a 1% bump, the Volvo brand continued its notable lead over the foreign-leashed ex-American brand.

This all despite the fact that Volvo, depending on the on-highway market almost exclusively for sales due to the failure of the VHD to attract sales, took a hit in 2016 when a weak economy drove fleets to cut orders,

Once the economy takes off again, and with it tractor sales, Volvo will once more outsell the Mack brand by nearly 2 to 1.

Mack of course at one time dominated construction and refuse. Now largely dependent on those segments owing to its small market share in tractors, Mack has seen its market share in construction and refuse dwindle in the face of strong competition from Paccar and others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sales Results: Volvo versus Mack (North American market)

Full Year 2016           Volvo   21,686 units     (23.3% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   17,167

Q4 2016                      Volvo   4,458               (22.6% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   3,551

Q3 2016                      Volvo   4,645               (25.9% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   3,581

Q2 2016                      Volvo   6,786               (26.6% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   5,192

Q1 2016                      Volvo   5,797               (17.9% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   4,843

Full Year 2015            Volvo   38,890             (42.3% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   25,302

Q4 2015                      Volvo   8,756               (28.8% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   6,553

Q3 2015                      Volvo   9,147               (39.9% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   6,105

Q2 2015                      Volvo   11,208             (52.5% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   6,547

Q1 2015                      Volvo   9,779               (46.4% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   6,097

Full Year 2014            Volvo   33,800             (35.4% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   23,634

Full Year 2013            Volvo   26,066             (35.3% greater sales than Mack)

Mack   18,244

I have noticed that Mack has slowly been lousing its grasp on the mixer and Garbage truck market.  In the last few years a few local concrete companies were purchased by another company. The new parent companies were already buying KW's and they stopped buying Macks.  Same with Waste Management. They had almost an exclusive Mack fleet but now I see lots of new Petes both in the low entry cab models and the roll offs.  I'm afraid to say that around here, it seams that only the smaller "family owned" fleets that run in the off road are still holding on to Mack. Besides UPS, I don't see Mack as a strong leader with fleets these days.

5 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

I have noticed that Mack has slowly been lousing its grasp on the mixer and Garbage truck market.  In the last few years a few local concrete companies were purchased by another company. The new parent companies were already buying KW's and they stopped buying Macks.  Same with Waste Management. They had almost an exclusive Mack fleet but now I see lots of new Petes both in the low entry cab models and the roll offs.  I'm afraid to say that around here, it seams that only the smaller "family owned" fleets that run in the off road are still holding on to Mack. Besides UPS, I don't see Mack as a strong leader with fleets these days.

Simply put, today's Mack is not the product of 20 years ago.

5 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Simply put, today's Mack is not the product of 20 years ago.

For sure-and to think how a completely vertically integrated truck was such a selling point in the old days.  So today it is increasingly a "component" truck.  But what is F'liner doing?  IMO becoming the Mack of old with their own drive train.

And as Lmackattack noted-Paccar is kicking butt in the vocational markets   Fleets that were always Mack-no longer the case-and as the "old boys" who started their businesses -or should I say whose fathers and grandfathers started their businesses with AC's then LJ's then B's truly become "Old boys", the loyalty factor continues to shrink.

Mack was the old guard and made mistakes like the big 3 American auto makers . Look at Cadillac and Lincoln used to be the premium luxury brands but now the young rich wouldn't be caught dead in a caddy or Lincoln no matter what they can't lose the stigma of being old man's cars . Mack kind of had the same fate .I know other circumstances have handi capped mack but there's still a stigma of Mack being this slow rough riding truck with no luxury for the driver . Paccar came to the east coast and offered nice riding powerful trucks with the western image that captured alot younger drivers and now no matter what mack did or didn't do its hard to get back market they've lost . 

I'm hoping the market share on the highway side will increase with the new truck being released end of this year. I've seen some pictures of a test unit. It has the improvements I am  looking for. Hopefully the pictures I've seen are correct. Same cab. I'm happy with the current cab just needs minor tweaking. Bunk is new and so is front end. Here's hoping.

Edited by bbigrig