MEK

41chevy

Went to Fork Union Hardware to get a gallon of MEK. There is no longer MEK around? All that  The local store, Lowes, ACE and Home Depot only carry now  MEK Substitute.  What the hell is that?  Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

14 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

sherwin williams     has it

Good to know.  Sherwin Williams store Charlottesville  has it in 5, 15 and 25  gallon cans. The substitute crap is not the same.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I needed it to thin gel coat so I can spray it on one of my fiberglass car bodies.   Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul, what is the reason to apply gel coat onto ready body? Is it to make some additional protection which paint doesn't do ? Currently I have the R-model hood in the paint shop and the guy (my friend) is going to cover all the thing with epoxy primer for that reason. Plenty of area was ground and sanded off for crack repairs so 1/3 of the gel is gone. Just want to know how it would be reasonable.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

2 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Paul, what is the reason to apply gel coat onto ready body? Is it to make some additional protection which paint doesn't do ? Currently I have the R-model hood in the paint shop and the guy (my friend) is going to cover all the thing with epoxy primer for that reason. Plenty of area was ground and sanded off for crack repairs so 1/3 of the gel is gone. Just want to know how it would be reasonable.

This is my on going 10 year project. Most of the Gel Coat has been removed  to do modifications so about 70% is fiberglass resin, cloth and matt.  Block sanding, re gel coating and wrap curing will unite all the new, modified and original body parts together.   Paul

http://valkyrie-2_zps6c998ed6.jpg

http://valkyrie-3_zpsd80e1933.jpg

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

30 minutes ago, dek1581 said:

hey paul I almost confused it with a ford pantera!

.I think it was loosely based on the original Ford GT-40 Mk II

fiberfab-avenger-gt-12-02.jpg.6142285517e62601566a41561ecbc8bf.jpg

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 2/13/2017 at 2:15 PM, tjc transport said:

MEK= Methyl Ethel Ketone, also know as  Butanone

it is a base chemical used to make solvents sorta like acetone is used. 

among other things it is used to weld plastics together. 

mekp   -_  peroxide          is also the hardening agent for fiberglass resin

• Like 1

See you have 180 degree headers , like the old Ford Panteras.  That will give it a distinctive exhaust sound.  Am in the process of making a set for my 1927 Hudson street rod.  It has a 351C and am going to have exhaust tubing pass under engine with collectors in the typical, alongside transmission, exit.  Been very challenging but I believe I have a workable set.  Good luck with a non-mainstream build.  Thanks Keith

Edited by Keith Pommerening
spelling error
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Keith Pommerening said:

See you have 180 degree headers , like the old Ford Panteras.  That will give it a distinctive exhaust sound.  Am in the process of making a set for my 1927 Hudson street rod.  It has a 351C and am going to have exhaust tubing pass under engine with collectors in the typical, alongside transmission, exit.  Been very challenging but I believe I have a workable set.  Good luck with a non-mainstream build.  Thanks Keith

Those headers are a copy of a Mickey Thompson /Dan Gurney design for their 1962 Harvey Indy car.  Pairing up opposites in the firing order give better scavenging and better throttle response.  Most all of my builds are non mainstream. I the back ground of one of the above photos is my 500 Caddy powered 65 Nova. The 500 weighs in 60 pounds more a 350 Chevy and with Boggieman Heads comes in 15 pound under. Dynos at 718 hp  with single carb 

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 2/16/2017 at 6:13 PM, steelman said:

MEK is very dangerous stuff, very flammable, volitile and you should not breathe it.  More explosive than gasoline.  Great solvent though. Worked over 9+ year period  for Dow Chem, and saw what mishandling can do. 

all of the above very true  carelessness will get you hurt quick

Edited by carlotpilot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steelman said:

MEK is very dangerous stuff, very flammable, volitile and you should not breathe it.  More explosive than gasoline.  Great solvent though. Worked over 9+ year period  for Dow Chem, and saw what mishandling can do. 

years ago on my first WHMIS (HMIS) course I read the MSDS for it... wow

it was literally banned when I was in aviation in the 80's... story given to us by our safety rep was flash point was lower than ambient air temp, evidently great for washing down fuselage skin prior to paint, one Florida company had to paint inside a DC8 freighter and they filled up many 3gal pails with MEK, the fumes inside the plane ignited and the flame went right through the length of the plane injuring many workers... we could get it in 1gal safety cans but it had to be used outside... all gone now from what I hear, replaced by a 'green' product that's pretty useless... just like solvents tanks have all gone from our workshops.!!!

BC Mack

• Like 1