Titan to be Discontinued

I think Mack will be focusing on the product lines that sell.  Granite and the Pinnacle or its soon to be released highway update.

Sales are down right now and it may be a good time to shed the model lines that are not selling so hot.

I'm surprised to hear that the D16 is being cut.  I'm seeing more Volvo VNX spec trucks up here lately and Volvo seems to be marketing that model up here pretty heavily in the last few months with videos on YouTube and literature. 

I was thinking Volvo killing the Titan they would just push customers to the VNX.  That changes things if the D16 is being phased out. I was of the understanding it was still offered with 2017 emissions engine lineup.  Guess not .

9 hours ago, bbigrig said:

I think Mack will be focusing on the product lines that sell.  Granite and the Pinnacle or its soon to be released highway update.

Sales are down right now and it may be a good time to shed the model lines that are not selling so hot.

I'm surprised to hear that the D16 is being cut.  I'm seeing more Volvo VNX spec trucks up here lately and Volvo seems to be marketing that model up here pretty heavily in the last few months with videos on YouTube and literature. 

I was thinking Volvo killing the Titan they would just push customers to the VNX.  That changes things if the D16 is being phased out. I was of the understanding it was still offered with 2017 emissions engine lineup.  Guess not .

This whole thing is odd like you said volvo had the d16 on their websites and press releases as certified for 17;mack did as well.  

Logtruckman.....one thing you can probably verify about the under cab air filters and those side mounted pre-cleaners.......that is one area the Titan shines.

My friends that have them report they replace air filters on their other trucks two to three times before they need to replace the ones in the Titan. So there was one benefit to the raised cab with that intake setup.

And unfortunately they also had the same problem as you, with the grill and breathers peeling, and the breathers corroding.

Still, will be sad to see them gone, but like everyone has said, they should have been offered with better sleeper options and priced competitively.

Mackey58

Gudday M8

RE:   haul in those hopper looking containers

Guessn they cart Bauxite etc in the outback

Logtruckman

Gudday M8

dose the titan hood tilt and the radiator grill stay put

looks like the hood and shell tilt over and leave the grill intact on the radiator

here in OZ the hole hood n grill tilt & also not much chrome but lotsa stainless steel mack use

cya

§wishy

Swishy, yeah, the grill stays in place when the hood tilts on ours. But there was a different grill you could get that stayed hooked to the hood.

Bullhead, yeah, the filters under the cab stay clean. I've only changed mine once in 150k miles. I checked them not long ago and they're still clean. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

I can't see why we can't get the 550/1850 rating for the MP8 over here.

Is the 505 c+ with 1860 torque available in a granite ? I know back a few years ago you could only get the 505 maxidyne which was rated at 1700 torque I think . 

On 1/3/2017 at 8:45 AM, kscarbel2 said:
The issue that Mack distributor principals are talking about now is they no longer have a big engine offering. While their North American competition offers the superb DD15, and DD16, and Cummins has a revised ISX15 (i.e. X15), North American Mack (and Volvo dealers) now abruptly find themselves with the D13/MP8 as their largest engine option. Now they flat out do not compete in the 15/16-liter market segment.
The Titan was a sales disaster, but the big news is the loss of the D16/MP10 in North America.
Volvo and its incompetent Mack brand management flubbed the U.S. market Titan idea from day one. Looking back at the RW6 and RW7 product, we of course sold 10 RW6s for every one RW7. Although I supported the idea of the Mack brand having a RW7-like truck for severe service, it first should have relaunched a RW6 "Super-Liner" product where there is: 1) a greater need, 2) an opportunity to juice up the brand again, and 3) far greater volume.
I also didn't like the way the US market Titan was always shown pimped with tacky looking chrome trim that the Australian version never had. And as has been noted, the cheap chrome trim didn't hold up.
As has been mentioned, the design of the Titan was created to meet the needs of Australia. For the US market, it should have had more "adaption".
In summary, Volvo should have introduced an on-road US market Super-Liner III.........before launching a low volume Titan.
The failure of the US market Titan all goes back to the incompetent Mack brand management in Greensboro, none of whom have a background in the truck industry.
As Volvo brand US market sales continue to rise while the Mack brand remains stagnant, the future of the latter is looking more and more bleak.
Mack brand dealers nationwide are missing deals right and left because their quotes are $10,000 to $15,000 higher than competing makes. Volvo is pricing the Mack brand out of the market. One can't help but wonder if Volvo is purposely doing so.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

From the Mack website press release of 1-5-17. The MP10 engine is still listed along with the MP7 and 8 as meeting the 2017 green house gas emissions.

What ever that means. Could be they are keeping the MP10 and dumping the Titan. In any case the Titan and MP 10 are not yet officially dumped. I would think they would have their replacement options ready before making any official announcements.:(

3 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

From the Mack website press release of 1-5-17. The MP10 engine is still listed along with the MP7 and 8 as meeting the 2017 green house gas emissions.

What ever that means. Could be they are keeping the MP10 and dumping the Titan. In any case the Titan and MP 10 are not yet officially dumped. I would think they would have their replacement options ready before making any official announcements.:(

Back in December I was in the Mack MP common rail engine class and there was no mention of the MP10 getting the common rail upgrade. And for that matter not much was said about the MP7 either

I've been thinking about this for a week now, if volvo corporate ordered the d16 /mp10 to be stopped why would mack. Have to stop  building titans why not just start installing mp8 and cummins x15 . Keep the line going maybe give the Titan a face lift new hood design with superliner2  inspired lines and rename it superliner 3 bingo sales boom . Hey but what do I know . 

• Like 1

An insider friend of mine just sent me these pics. Sorry about the small images, they were taken on his cell phone and he must have the settings low.

He said a heavy haul fleet in British Columbia, Canada is testing this black one. Could be the new replacement model. It has the new Volvo/Mack global cab. Said the cab is testing well and is liked by the test drivers.. No mention of engine though.

And just like how International used the code name "Project Silverback" when designing and testing the new Paystar replacement, which we now know as the HX, this one is using the name "Voltan"

There is also a very popular bulk hauler fleet in southern Ontario that currently has the other one for evaluation.

That's all he could tell me.

Voltan 3.jpg

voltan2 copy.jpg