Acquired another Mack

1 hour ago, log hauler said:

Just brought home a 81 R487P. It has a Scania motor with an auto. Anybody have any info? Good? Bad?

It has a Scania model DS8 (Mack designation E4-210). Great engine, like most, when properly maintained. The Scania centrifugal filter certainly kept the oil clean. No cartridge to buy, just clean it out and reinstall. It prompted us to create "Centrimax" for the Mack engines.

Morgan Millwork ran a huge fleet of R487P straight trucks on the east coast. They loved them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

It has a Scania model DS8 (Mack designation E4-210). Great engine, like most, when properly maintained. The Scania centrifugal filter certainly kept the oil clean. No cartridge to buy, just clean it out and reinstall. It prompted us to create "Centrimax" for the Mack engines.

Morgan Millwork ran a huge fleet of R487P straight trucks on the east coast. They loved them.

Any information on the trans?

Those scanias are under rated. They didn't have a lot of power but ran smooth, idled nice, and were easy to maintain.  Those centrifugal oil filters were simple and oddly effective. Cool find, never drove an auto but I am sure it is a nice ride . You won't win any drag races but what the heck. 

• Like 2

The only downfall of the "Scanny" around these parts,was the price and availability of parts. The old 673 had it beat in most departments,as I was told. Never did own one. I do like that truck,though.  Al

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

You sure don't want to drive too far with that metal sculpture blocking your view.

That is there to drop on the car in front of you when they fail to move at a light because they are playing on their phone. You just lift them out of your way. I want one!

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!