Anybody want to help tell me what I have

Hey guys and gals long story short I am the new owner of a 1974 Mac dump truck. I'm a decent shade tree  mechanic  but still don't know if I'm taking on more than I can handle . This truck starts and runs  in the PTO works does have some rust and definitely could use tires all the way around .  Trying to figure out if I want to fix it up and keep it for a side job ( hauling or what not ) or if I should sell as is (  I have had some pretty intriguing offers ).  Honestly when I came in to ownership of this vehicle I was going to simply junket or party now  Luckily I've ran into a few old timers that did tell me a little bit about what I have . But would appreciate  any knowledge you would like to share . Thanks  

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

Edited by srqmack

Awesome site truck With out seeing it in person real hard to give decent advice It  either has 44 or 55 rears by the look of it Can't make out the rear suspension Camel back I assume I also assume It has a 237m with 6 sp trans !   

I sure wouldn't part it out! You got good history there!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

wow excellent find....looks ready to work already   i would fix it up and use it.....its probably not going to be the fastest rig on the road,,,but in florida you probably dont have too many grades,,,,that would be the only problem with a 237..you could probably get 5G,s easily as is..good luck,,,,and welcome aboard.bob 

• Like 1

Looks like a good unit, would be hard pressed to fine another like it. You could make a decent buck working it. Its definitely not something to part out. Plus pars are easily available for it.    Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys, Im just now getting around to messing withe this truck. Just charged all 4 batteries, 3 seem to hold charge but 1 loses charge ovenight. Tried to start her yesterday with no luck. I drained the old fuel and replaced. Checked all other fluids. Do these old macks have glow plugs?. Im tring my best to get some info on the web but not fing too much info for shadetree mechanic like myself. Found a manual online but they wanted $300.00, and i cant afford that right now. 

I am going to try to get her back to working condition a start a part time job . I mean how cool is it to say "thats my dumptruck".!

OH yeah and its got 2 shifters????? So thats going to fun to learn. So back to starting her, does it have glow plugs, dash board faded and non of the dash lights work. 

Thanks for any education

AND try not to use either, WD -40 works well in lieu of starter fluid.    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Six speed. Five speeds on the left stick and reverse, lo, and direct on the right stick.  Non synchro.

Oops, I see it has a silver bulldog, might not be a Maxidyne (237) after all, and if it's not, it would have five on the left stick with reverse and two, three, or four on the right stick.  Pretty unusual by '74, though, most were Maxidynes by then.