12.00 x 24.5 rubber

I really like the look of trucks with tall 12 x 24.5 rubber.  How heavily spec'd of a truck did it take to option the larger tires and wheels?  Were they available on lower GVWR trucks too?  For example, could you spec 12.00 rubber on a R or RW with a lowly 38k or 44k rear end?  Or is that too light to justify the bigger tires and wheels?  

Did they have to make any special accommodations to the truck to fit them?  Do they use larger spring blocks under the front springs?  Or is it just the larger wheels that give those trucks a noticeably taller stance?  I've always been curious.  Thanks!

13592405_116035585495607_6610060701336711555_n.jpg

• Like 1

Lots of things could be done for "Looks".

A prudent business would spec a truck with a combination of parts that work properly together for the intended purpose.  There is no sense in putting big rubber on a truck that hauls potato chips.  Big rubber is a huge money.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

16 hours ago, sodly said:

I really like the look of trucks with tall 12 x 24.5 rubber.  How heavily spec'd of a truck did it take to option the larger tires and wheels?  Were they available on lower GVWR trucks too?  For example, could you spec 12.00 rubber on a R or RW with a lowly 38k or 44k rear end?  Or is that too light to justify the bigger tires and wheels?  

Did they have to make any special accommodations to the truck to fit them?  Do they use larger spring blocks under the front springs?  Or is it just the larger wheels that give those trucks a noticeably taller stance?  I've always been curious.  Thanks!

13592405_116035585495607_6610060701336711555_n.jpg

It certainly does give this truck a "let's get down to business" look, doesn't it?  I like the look.  I agree with jhancock that for work, use the right combo of specs for the application, but for a hobby truck, this looks great!  I'm also not a big fan of spokes on the front of a Superliner (all other trucks should have them, however!), but in this case I think the bigger rubber and higher stance does work with the spoked wheels.....

I would venture to guess that that truck must have an 18k or larger front axle, my rw713 has a 12k and I run 12r22.5 rubber on the front of it  but the pictured above truck has at least another 4 in. of clearance than mine.......the smaller fuel tanks makes that thing larger than life......definitely creeper friendly!

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

the difference between 12X24 and 12X24.5 is the 24.5 is a tubeless tire. and the 24 is about 50 lbs heavier than the 24.5

The 24.5 is actually the Tubeless replacement for the 22 inch tube type tires. As far as I know there is no tubeless replacement for the old 24 inch tires used on a lot of old heavy duty trucks. If there was it would be 26.5..

• Like 2

Brocky

8 hours ago, Brocky said:

The 24.5 is actually the Tubeless replacement for the 22 inch tube type tires. As far as I know there is no tubeless replacement for the old 24 inch tires used on a lot of old heavy duty trucks. If there was it would be 26.5..

Broky, depending on what do you mean as the replacement.

I once found ocassionally that removed tyre of the size of 12.00-24 had almost the same inside central diameter (where tyre seats on a rim) as 11.00R24.5.

I don't think though 12.00R24.5 has the same outside dimentions as 12.00-24 or 12.00R24 (tube type). The last ones look really large.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

the 12X24's on my old 99 r model were the same size as the 12X24.5 on the kenworth T800, only heavier.

the granite had 11X24.5 when we got it, and we switched it to 12X24.5 so both the granite and the kenworth used the same tires and rims. made it a lot easier to have the same size tires on the trucks, that made for no two different size spares in the shop.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Thanks for the correction on the sizes.  I'm just gleaning all this stuff second hand from photos like the one I posted.  It can be hard to make out tire sizes in photos, of course.  Yup, it appears they are 12.00R24s... not 24.5s.  Whatever they are they look awfully good.  I like 'em on Bs, Rs and RWs.  Course, they'd probably look good on about anything.

So you're saying that you could've theoretically ordered that big rubber on a truck that didn't necessarily need it?  Just for looks?  If that's the case, what would be required to fit wheels and tires like that to an ordinary truck?  Just curious.    

I run 12r24.5 on the front axle of the brockway because they are the heaviest rated tire i can find for 22 inch hubs. However they are only rated around 7800 lbs apiece and the truck has a 18000 lb front axle.   Was a 12.00x22 heavier duty? or maybe they had some other size when new. I would like to know

According to the bridgestone book 11r24 are almost the exact  same height and width as 12r24.5. 12r24 are an inch taller yet   https://commercial.bridgestone.com/content/dam/bcs-sites/bridgestone-ex/products/TechnicalInformation/TBR/2016-pdfs/Bridgestone Databook 2015.pdf

this is good reference but i would like to find a list of sizes all on one page so they would be easier to compare.  i guess i could put the data in a sreadsheet  but i' am just to lazy

15 hours ago, sodly said:

Sure looks to me like your 11.00r24s are bigger and taller than your run of the mill 11.00r24.5s.  Is that correct?  Smaller wheel but taller tire?

actually the rim is bigger too.  24.5 rims go on 22 inch spokes just as 22.5 rims go on 20 inch spokes.  afaik there are no tubeless tires( the .5 sizes) to go on 24 inch spokes.

They interchange because of the difference in profiles between a tube type and a tubeless rim.  Tube type are easy to spot because of the wide flange where the tire meets the rim, they also are flat across the middle.   Tubeless are the opposite narrow flange at the tire but dished in the middle.  All .5 sizes are tubeless and conversely  "hundred" (  12.00, 11.00, 10.00, etc) sizes are tube type.  Example: 11.00r22 is tube type but 11r22.5 is tubeless and they each go on different hubs. 

Hubs:   

• 15 in.= 15" tube type or 17.5 tubeless (mostly trailer sizes)
  • 20 in.= 20" tube type or 22.5 tubeless
  • 22 in. = 22" tube type or 24.5 tubeless
  • 24 in.= 24" tube type NO    tubeless tires     

I hope that is clear without beating  a dead horse.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Edited by 6368
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2016 at 0:38 PM, 6368 said:

According to the bridgestone book 11r24 are almost the exact  same height and width as 12r24.5. 12r24 are an inch taller yet   https://commercial.bridgestone.com/content/dam/bcs-sites/bridgestone-ex/products/TechnicalInformation/TBR/2016-pdfs/Bridgestone Databook 2015.pdf

this is good reference but i would like to find a list of sizes all on one page so they would be easier to compare.  i guess i could put the data in a sreadsheet  but i' am just to lazy

Thx for posting the Bridgestone link.  It is current info.  I have an old Rockwell Product Specification Book-TP 8958 2/95 print date -(boy I am old)  One handy page is a generic tire size.  As the discussion is on 24", most relevant data is revs per mile

A comparison;

size            revs/mile   radius

11:00 24     434             22.8"

11:00R 24   443             22

12:00  24     413             23.4

12:00R 24    438             21.9*

11:00R 24.5 474             20.5

11:00  24.5   472             20.7

12:00R 24.5  463             21

12:00  24.5    413            23.4

*This must be a mis print -fewer revs per mile than 11:00 24 yet lower radius????

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:
1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

Thx for posting the Bridgestone link.  It is current info.  I have an old Rockwell Product Specification Book-TP 8958 2/95 print date -(boy I am old)  One handy page is a generic tire size.  As the discussion is on 24", most relevant data is revs per mile

A comparison;

size            revs/mile   radius

11:00 24     434             22.8"

11:00R 24   443             22

12:00  24     413             23.4

12:00R 24    438             21.9*

11:00R 24.5 474             20.5

11:00  24.5   472             20.7

12:00R 24.5  463             21

12:00  24.5    413            23.4

*This must be a mis print -fewer revs per mile than 11:00 24 yet lower radius????

That too might be not a missprint.

In this discussion we missed one fact so far.

If you look over the tyre sizes there are 11.00's and 11.00 R's.

This means two mentioned sizes exist(ed) in both bias and radial design. And according to the chat above they have different sizes.

Actually it's difficult to suppose exact dimentions of some tyre taking to account so wide variety of them.

But from my practice 12.00R24's (tube's) I put on my WW2 Mack are really huge. Sure larger than 12.00R24.5 I have a pair of in my yard. And talking closer to the matter of question they are noticably bigger than 10.50-24's (!!) which my truck rode when was purchased. The truck had two tyre sizes from the factory in different years - 10.50-24 and 11.00-24.

As far as i remember reading in different sources in the past older (bias) tyre sizes had the first figure in their designation as the heigth of its profile. So when you put that heigth twice and add the rim size that would mean the overall diameter.

But for radials (or just newer wheels starting from some date in years) the firs figure is the profile width. When you have a profile share (/75, /60 e t.c.) marked, the higth might be count as the percentage of the width pointed behind the slash. And when you have it NOT, you should count the profile higth as 84% or 100% referring to different sources.

Taking all that into a sum we can explain all those differences in tyre sizes we use to deal with together with difficulties to recognize an actual wheel's measurements. 

And getting further that's the reason I keep alot of scepsis to different tyre calculators and chats and trust the most to an actual size I can just measure with a bend.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012