NOT A REAL MACK

Hello everyone 

I would like to add my 5 dollars worth for what ever it's worth. I have been a staunch MACK truck man all my life. When I first started out, I bought a second hand Ultra-Liner COE and all I can say is it was bloody awesome, V8 power, nothing like it. I've since moved on and bought my 4th so-called MACK Super-Liner MP10 600/685 (same engine just a software change ) and I can tell you emphatically it is NOT a MACK at all. Volvo has all but killed the MACK soul here in Australia. You see I'm a dinosaur and very unwilling to accept change because my current truck has a Volvo chassis FACT, a Volvo engine FACT and a Volvo gearbox FACT. While I can here a lot of you saying well what's wrong with that, well, if I wanted a BLOODY VOLVO, I would have bought one. You see Volvo doesn't want MACK around anymore. They just needed the name to sell their piles of shit that they call a truck. I will admit that MACK in part are to blame for some it, but even the people I speak to here in OZ are disappointed that so much of what was MACK is now gone. Yes, they will tell that it's a pure breed and we do it our way. Well, they don't and are not allowed to either. We're basically told that's it, this is the truck, no choice, no nothing, take it or leave. Well after owning one for 2 years, it's been nothing but trouble and still ongoing, much to my distress and heartache. I believe what once was THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS is now no longer than just a name that will fade away into the history books. So sad. 

ONCE WAS, NO MORE 

Cheers

MACK MAD

• Like 1

I sympathise with you. I wasnt aware the "new breed" trucks used a Volvo chassis. 

Sure it makes monetary sense, but that means nothing when you've invested your heart and soul with a brand. 

I hope you sort out your difficulties with your current truck, and it all turns out ok. 

why didn't you spec  mack manual trans.  mack rears  camelback or mack air ride  I know its hendrickson  the new air ride does suck.  and RD  frame rail  if thats what you wanted?  you can still order  all mack power train  but the days of  e9s  have been gone over a decade here and they ain't coming back.

8 hours ago, Timmyb said:

I sympathise with you. I wasn't aware the "new breed" trucks used a Volvo chassis. 

Sure it makes monetary sense, but that means nothing when you've invested your heart and soul with a brand. 

I hope you sort out your difficulties with your current truck, and it all turns out ok. 

They use the Volvo VHD vocational chassis.

Volvo should call a spade a spade and stop rebadging these trucks as Mack product.

In the U.S. and Australian markets, many customers can't imagine a “Mack” truck having a Volvo engine, transmission, chassis, you name it.

If they had wanted a Volvo............they would have bought a Volvo.

Sadly, some of the folks on this site engage in some grade school behavior towards Volvo- Because Volvo is slowly "borging" Mack, they respond by trashing Volvo. Mack built a great truck, back in the 60s and 70s with the Maxidyne-Maxitorque drivetrain they were decades ahead of the competition. Like other american classics like the Ford-Ferguson N series tractors, the DC-3, and the 707, Mack had a product that was equal too if not better than any other truck in the world. On the other side of the world, when most of the trucks were uncomfortable and unreliable, Volvo developed trucks like the F86, F88, and F89 that drivers actually liked and they didn't break down much. Back when I worked at the Postal Service our straight trucks were mostly Ford Cargos, but we had a few Volvo F6s. The Cargo was OK, but once in a while I got to drive the Volvo and it was clearly a better truck all round- better visibility, heating, ride, quieter, etc.. 

Since then Volvo has gutted Mack, though if you insist they'll still build you a Mack with Mack transmission, axles, and suspension. Volvo has cheapened their product in america, but it's still not a bad truck. So lets behave like adults... Trashing Volvo trucks does not make Mack a better truck.

Well I agree with you on the new macks not being a true mack but I would say that even if mack was still making their own true mack truck they would still be having issues with emission problems and plastic part problems at least here in North America all new trucks have problems with emissions and plastic radiators .

On 11/10/2016 at 7:39 AM, Timmyb said:

I sympathise with you. I wasnt aware the "new breed" trucks used a Volvo chassis. 

Tim Mack Australia still used the standard R model chassis on everything right up until 07 or 08 maybe even later 

As far as Volvo bashing goes its all fun and games , the new Mack cant be to bad there are a lot on the road up here I think all new trucks today have a lot more teething problems than ever before as there is so much more in them and the pollution crap doesnt help the matter 

Paul

• Like 1

Teamstir Girl

Gudday M8

:D

RE:  folks on this site engage in some grade school behavior towards Volvo

Eye'll have U kno ............. Eye represent th@

They may not continue with make n Mack ..................... but they will never take Mack off the road

:P ........ :lol: ...... :thumb:

cya

§wishy

• Like 2