Harvest is finally here

HeavyGunner

1 minute ago, Mike said:

WOW! thought it was a herd of buffalo stampeding. Got one question........why are the electrical lines behind the fences?Maybe I should not ask why there are fences?    :blink:

Over zealous farmer fenced in the county right of way. Farmers are notorious for seeding literally up to the containment dikes at our leases which the producers lease so many acres around each tank battery. No one even cares but the farmers whine when we drive on the road into the lease and squish some wheat. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Prime example.  Definitely have worse ones but you get the idea  

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

1 hour ago, Brocky said:

Looks good!!! Also looks like you have had enough water for your crops.. Everything here in the southeast is drying up bad.. we are about 5 inches behind in yearly rainfall..

Yeah lots of well timed rains this year. 

• Like 1

Billy T

Yes that is me.. Your prewar 39 would have had the "deluxe" cab which included a clock, cigar lighter, and a banajo horn ring.. DT did not return to building them after the war, so all post war ones are plain dash.

Brocky

• 2 weeks later...

Once again the farmers get f---ed. Was just talking to a buddy that grew up north of Chester. He was in Havre last weekend talking to old friends, ( or listening to them bitch) . Yeah, now finally the weather was good and they got a excellent crop. Now there is so much grain they are getting f----ed at the elevators.  He was telling me, last year good protein wheat was over $7 a bushel . Now with the great crop it's around $ 1.38 a bushel... 

1 hour ago, B MACK said:

Once again the farmers get f---ed. Was just talking to a buddy that grew up north of Chester. He was in Havre last weekend talking to old friends, ( or listening to them bitch) . Yeah, now finally the weather was good and they got a excellent crop. Now there is so much grain they are getting f----ed at the elevators.  He was telling me, last year good protein wheat was over $7 a bushel . Now with the great crop it's around $ 1.38 a bushel... 

I'm no farmer but that was my understanding of the farming business.  If weather is bad and therefore a bad harvest, you are lucky to break even.  If the weather is good and you have a great harvest, then so do all the other farmers and you are (again) lucky to break even. 

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 1

that is the prime reason to have storage silos. if price is low at harvest, store it on farm until the price goes up.

we do that every year here in joisey. store it for 2-3 months, and you can see a 4-5 dollar per bushel rise in price.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 7/30/2016 at 9:11 PM, B MACK said:

Prices look to be double what your friend told you. Unless his wheat protein is really low. I live in the golden triangle area and haven't heard of that bad of prices.

Edited by HeavyGunner

Thanks for the ag report.  I'll have to check with my buddy again. I'm thinking that his friends farm is north east of Chester,  out of the golden triangle.  I was thinking that it was ordinary protein, but he said that was at both big new elevators at Chester.   That just shows that second and third hand info is not always right. 

11 hours ago, B MACK said:

Thanks for the ag report.  I'll have to check with my buddy again. I'm thinking that his friends farm is north east of Chester,  out of the golden triangle.  I was thinking that it was ordinary protein, but he said that was at both big new elevators at Chester.   That just shows that second and third hand info is not always right. 

You never know sometimes. Both big elevators in Chester have piles around 25' tall and easily big enough to cover a football field on the ground. I'll try and get a picture and post it on here. 

On 7/21/2016 at 4:31 PM, HeavyGunner said:

Over zealous farmer fenced in the county right of way. Farmers are notorious for seeding literally up to the containment dikes at our leases which the producers lease so many acres around each tank battery. No one even cares but the farmers whine when we drive on the road into the lease and squish some wheat. 

I was on the other side of this when I was still farming.  I planted wheat or milo right up next to the lease roads, but I never got too worked up if someone needed to run over a little of it.  The reason I had for it was weed control,  planting something and having herbicide down to prevent cheat and rye and thistles from taking over that edge.  If its in the edge it eventually spreads further into the fields. 

47 minutes ago, RedBullDog said:

I was on the other side of this when I was still farming.  I planted wheat or milo right up next to the lease roads, but I never got too worked up if someone needed to run over a little of it.  The reason I had for it was weed control,  planting something and having herbicide down to prevent cheat and rye and thistles from taking over that edge.  If its in the edge it eventually spreads further into the fields. 

I agree with you as long as the farmers don't complain when I turn around like you said.  They shouldn't ever complain since they are farming free ground since there is 2-3 acres leased around each loading site plus the road into it.  Some of the other leases hold the farmers to the lease agreement and do not let them farm it but they keep the site weed free. 

There are 2 piles of wheat at least that large in Enid, and i think 3 more up the road in Medford.  There are smaller piles in some of the smaller towns as well.  In fact, I went to town yesterday and moved my truck because it was parked right where the local COOP has started the dirt work for a 1 million bushel "bunker" to pile wheat.   Price in town this morning was $3.05 for wheat,  add another 15 to 20 cents for Enid terminal price.

I know it sounds "pie in the sky" and all but its a shame to have people in our own country, and many places around the world, going hungry and this grain just gets piled up to sit and rot.  

I live in S.E. Washinton, St. Walla Walla to be exact. Dry land wheat averages 85 to 90 around here and some as high as 100 bushels. Grain piles

like that are common place. Soft White mostly.  When I lived in Ellensburg, Wa. 25 years worth I worked in a automotive machine shop. The owner

and his dad held the world record for irrigated wheat crop at 216 bushels that was in 1967. Someone in England beat it with 236 years later.

Truck Shop 

One ping only