'57 B85F

Mack58B42

1 hour ago, Mack58B42 said:

Thanks Paul.  The mechanic Dennis uses and sent out is top notch, and is very familiar with the 707.  He went through the carb, and everything in there is good, except for that slight groove on the needle.  We sanded it, and it seems to be OK, but he's sending me a new one, just in case.  But the fact that it runs great over about 1200-1400rpms is indicating that the thing is just flat out getting too much fuel blow-by at any rpms below that, so we're pretty sure the regulator will solve it.

Of course, no one locally has a regulator at that low a rating, so I have to order it and likely wait 2-3 days..... 

I figured as much, but mentioned it because it seems most mechanics now in awe on carbs, points and such "complicated" systems.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally got the fuel pressure regulator, and all the right accessories, as well as a bit of time to get it all together.  The end result is that as of about 10 minutes ago, she's running beautifully.  Idles great, no more burning rich, no smoke, no roughness or coughing.  So it looks like the problem has been found and solved.  I had to get it back in my friends barn, as he was headed out, but I'll post a quick video of it running later this week or this weekend when I get it back home and in my own garage.

Now.... if I could just convince the DMV to let me register it.  That's a battle for later this week.  They want me to get it appraised, as it doesn't show up on any of their "special vehicle" book value lists, but more worrisome, they are not happy about the fact that as an old NY municipal vehicle, it has no registration or title history.  So they, of course, think that I apparently am running a chop shop for "hot" 1/2-million dollar antique fire trucks, and that I've swiped this from some swanky showroom somewhere, and it MUST be stolen if it has no paper trail.  Even though the broker gave me a notarized NY document that explains all this.  As usual no common sense in government, and now I have to take more time off work to go to the DMV mother ship and argue my case to someone - they couldn't even tell me who....  Can't wait.

13 minutes ago, Mack58B42 said:

Well, finally got the fuel pressure regulator, and all the right accessories, as well as a bit of time to get it all together.  The end result is that as of about 10 minutes ago, she's running beautifully.  Idles great, no more burning rich, no smoke, no roughness or coughing.  So it looks like the problem has been found and solved.  I had to get it back in my friends barn, as he was headed out, but I'll post a quick video of it running later this week or this weekend when I get it back home and in my own garage.

Now.... if I could just convince the DMV to let me register it.  That's a battle for later this week.  They want me to get it appraised, as it doesn't show up on any of their "special vehicle" book value lists, but more worrisome, they are not happy about the fact that as an old NY municipal vehicle, it has no registration or title history.  So they, of course, think that I apparently am running a chop shop for "hot" 1/2-million dollar antique fire trucks, and that I've swiped this from some swanky showroom somewhere, and it MUST be stolen if it has no paper trail.  Even though the broker gave me a notarized NY document that explains all this.  As usual no common sense in government, and now I have to take more time off work to go to the DMV mother ship and argue my case to someone - they couldn't even tell me who....  Can't wait.

and we have to pay these peopleB)

30 minutes ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Why the hell does the DMV want a value? They're not insuring it.....I'd tell them to go pound sand. 

Because they think everyone's trying to rip them off, and they want to take you for as much as possible.  So a few years back they stopped using the value on the bill of sale, and they now use the top book value of the vehicle, regardless of vehicle condition.  So if you buy a 5 year old car that was $50,000 new, but was never maintained, has a blown engine, and no longer runs, you still get charged tax on book value of that vehicle in "excellent" condition, even if it's a used-up piece of crap that you have to have towed home.  Of course you can challenge it, but the time and expense to do so becomes prohibitive for most people. 

Since they can't find a "book value" on a '57 B85, it's now my responsibility to get an appraisal from a licensed vehicle appraiser.  And, of course, since I can't register it, it has to be from one that either does house calls or will do it from pics.  They don't care that I bought it from the person that probably sells more of these vehicles than anyone else in the country, and certainly knows their value.  Besides, these are people that deal in vehicle values all day.  Anyone over 12 years old knows that unless it's a museum piece, what I paid for the truck is just about fair market value for this type of vehicle, if not a little higher.

It's very discouraging.....

1 hour ago, fxfymn said:

I was wondering how a small state like RI supported all those crooked politicians that keep going to jail. Now I know. 

There is something deeply wrong with a policy that pre-supposes all citizens are liars and cheats; the law must be a mirror of those who wrote it.

Yup - not too far from the truth on either count.....

I have had a similar issue with excise tax.....they can't couldn't come up with a book value on my 77 International or the 53 Mack so they just made them up.  They valued the IH around 10 times what I paid for it......the last time I spoke with the state a few years back I offered the truck to Them at half price.....they refused.... So the upside is your appraisal should alleviate any State B.S. On the exise value. Also using the words "Fire Truck" seems to make the registry folks go loopy. Good luck

15 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

if you bought it from Dennis, I'm sure its a bit higher than book value..... they should be good with that

That's exactly what I tried, since I'm sure I paid a bit more than what a true "book value" would be, but they are insisting on an appraisal.

Easy solution, get an appraisal.  Ask around who might be a good one to work with.  I have worked with various appraisers over the years and depending on the situation, they have dialed in the price that I wanted for vehicles or real estate.  They won't make a $10,000 truck into a $1,000 truck but they usually will make it "lean" the way you want.  There aren't a lot of comps or comparisons for antique fire trucks so there will be LOTS of room for adjustments.

One appraiser, who has passed away, wrote a report on a stake body truck as a "steak" body truck.  The folks at the DMV didn't even get the joke.

Rhode Island wants you to play their game so stack the deck in your favor.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

3 hours ago, j hancock said:

Easy solution, get an appraisal.  Ask around who might be a good one to work with.  I have worked with various appraisers over the years and depending on the situation, they have dialed in the price that I wanted for vehicles or real estate.  They won't make a $10,000 truck into a $1,000 truck but they usually will make it "lean" the way you want.  There aren't a lot of comps or comparisons for antique fire trucks so there will be LOTS of room for adjustments.

One appraiser, who has passed away, wrote a report on a stake body truck as a "steak" body truck.  The folks at the DMV didn't even get the joke.

Rhode Island wants you to play their game so stack the deck in your favor.

Jim - the appraisal is the easy part.  The big black hole is that RI DMV requirements to register a vehicle are that you need either a title or the last reg.  This has neither.  So I have to find someone in the DMV who knows how to handle this, despite the fact that my local branch didn't have any clue who that might be......  It's just a roll of the dice as to who you get on any given day.  I had the same issues with my dump truck, but that particular day, serendipity was with me as the tax assessor person my local guy called said to just use the bill of sale, and even though my title was one owner removed, at least it had one, so they were still scowling about that, but let it through.

I met an appraiser from Middleboro Ma last week. He does antique cars and trucks.

His name is Everett at Interstate Appraisal 508-947-5058

Westerly isn't that far from there hour and a half maybe.

36 minutes ago, 66dc75 said:

I met an appraiser from Middleboro Ma last week. He does antique cars and trucks.

His name is Everett at Interstate Appraisal 508-947-5058

Westerly isn't that far from there hour and a half maybe.

Thanks - I sent a request with some pics to see if perhaps for this type of purpose he'd do an appraisal from pics/video.  Appreciate the tip....

Hello,

Can you use a Certificate Of Origin to register the vehicle. I had a 1988 CF from CT where they do not issue titles or track VIN's for municipal vehicles. The truck went to PA and In order to get it registered I called Mack and spoke to a woman named Alberta Swindler. She sent me the paperwork, I filled it out and returned it to her and a short time later a duplicate of the Certificate Of Origin arrived. The truck is now registered in PA enjoying its second home fighting fires.

Seems to me that Dennis has some responsibility in this. Can he secure a NY title in his name? Just my $.02 but it seems that a truck without a title is worth less than one that is titled.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:47 PM, Mack58B42 said:

Thanks - already made that call and have one on order.  It's actually not all that easy to find either a pump OR a regulator that goes down to 3psi, but Holley has one, and I have it on order.

So, we'll know in a few days if that solves the problem, but I'm pretty optimistic.  I'll also get a new needle in case we didn't quite get rid of the groove and gas might still be sneaking by that as well.

Care to share a part number on that regulator?  Who had it might be of help as well.  I am fairly sure I need one too...she runs FAT.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:45 PM, Gmerrill0516 said:

Care to share a part number on that regulator?  Who had it might be of help as well.  I am fairly sure I need one too...she runs FAT.

It's a Holley 12-804.  The best prices are on-line, but my local Advanced Auto Parts had one in for me in a day for $40......

It's running great now.  I just brought it home from my neighbors last night, and will post a couple vids of it running as soon as they finish downloading to dropbox....

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, fxfymn said:

Seems to me that Dennis has some responsibility in this. Can he secure a NY title in his name? Just my $.02 but it seems that a truck without a title is worth less than one that is titled.

It may come to that, but my experience with the RI DMV is it's just a matter of finding the right combination of people to get the job done.  They relented relatively easily with my dump truck, so I'll go to headquarters next week, and no doubt there will be at least ONE person there with some common sense that will close the loop on this.  Just have to find that person!

Dennis did send his mechanic on a 3.5 hour journey (each way) to do 8 hours of work at no charge, so I know that if it comes to it, he's stepped up to the plate once already, which is more than I'm sure a lot of other sellers would have done....

• Like 1