'57 B85F

Mack58B42

It's the 707 gas.  But it does have air brakes, and even a Maxi-brake.  I don't like old hydraulic brakes, so I'm happy about that.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a B85 with a Diesel.  Anyone know if any came from the factory with the Diesel?

I believe that this is from Chestertown NY.  But RI is going to be its new home....

Nice looking truck; the "B" model is my favorite fire truck model. I had the good fortune to operate a couple of "B-85F" and "B-95F" pumpers back in the day, the cabs were a bit

cramped inside but they were great trucks. Your truck is from Chestertown NY, its website has a couple of historic photos of the "B" model being delivered and also a couple

of photos of a Mack "C" model pumper.

bulldogboy

4 hours ago, bulldogboy said:

Nice looking truck; the "B" model is my favorite fire truck model. I had the good fortune to operate a couple of "B-85F" and "B-95F" pumpers back in the day, the cabs were a bit

cramped inside but they were great trucks. Your truck is from Chestertown NY, its website has a couple of historic photos of the "B" model being delivered and also a couple

of photos of a Mack "C" model pumper.

bulldogboy

I checked their website, but didn't see anything related to this.  I'll have to look again and search harder this time.  Will be interesting to see....  The Bs have also always been my favorite.  I'm most partial to the B81s, but they're huge, and I can't fit one of those in my garage!  And since I've always loved fire trucks (used to drive in my local dept.), it only made sense that the end game for me would be a B model fire truck.....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, yarnall said:

Nice truck.  I don't know how many B85f"s were delivered with Diesel but the first three went to Bermuda.  A guy was on here about two years ago trying to restore one.  Mike

Hmmm.... I think I vaguely recall seeing a pic of those Bermuda Bs somewhere along the line.  Don't remember a mention of them being diesel though.  Maybe in one of the B model books I have.  I'll have to poke around and see if I can find that again.

• Like 1

The first factory diesel B model fire engine was indeed the one that went to Bermuda.  It was a B125F though not a B85F.  Number 1041 if i recall.  A 1960 build.  Later pictures somewhere on this site show it with a squirrel tail officers side front suction through the fender.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Mack58B42:

Look at www.chestertownfiredept.com, then "photo gallery". Scroll down to "misc older photos", the "B" and "C" photos are there. Also, a color picture of the "B" is

under "fire engines". The first three Mack fire engines with diesel engines were delivered to Hamilton, Bermuda in 1960. There were two "B125F" pumpers and one hose truck.

The pumpers had front suctions on the right side. The pumpers were "B125F1041/1042. I saw one of the pumpers still in service in 1979. Got to get back there some day!!

St. George, Bermuda Fire Brigade had a 1960 Mack "N85F" pumper. After the departments merged into one island wide fire department, I don't know what happened to

the "N" model. St George's website had a photo but the site is gone.

bulldogboy

Thanks!  Now I just have to figure out what happened to it during the trip here.  I'm told it ran beautifully when it left, but since I got it, it's been running like crap.   Been checking all the ignition/battery wires, and that all looks good.  Now i'll have to check the fuel filter to see if it's being starved.  I think it ran out of gas by the time I got it unloaded and down to my neighbors barn, so I'm hoping that the problem is just some crud in the fuel filter....  We'll see.....

But otherwise, it's a great truck, and I'm happy with the overall physical condition of it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhh.....  That's better......

Dennis at OldMacks.com stepped up to the plate and sent his mechanic out to see what was going on.  it was obvious that it was burning very rich, so after changing the plugs, cleaning up the carb, sanding a groove off the needle, and installing in in-line fuel filter it ran better, but still was flooding at low rpms.  We discovered that the fuel pump was rated for 5-9psi, but the Zenith carb is rated for 3psi.  So I'll get a new pump, and a new needle, and hopefully all will be well.  But as you can hear in the video, as long as the idle/rpms stay above 1100-ish, it runs great. 

Very encouraging......

2016-04-23 13.35.30.jpg

2016-05-12 16.10.03.mov

• Like 1

Don't waste your money on a new pump, put a fuel pressure regulator on it. Then you can dial in the proper pressure no matter what the pump delivers.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

4 hours ago, fxfymn said:

Don't waste your money on a new pump, put a fuel pressure regulator on it. Then you can dial in the proper pressure no matter what the pump delivers.

Ditto on the fuel pressure regulator, if you buy a new pump (which you don't need) you would still need to buy a regulator to bring the psi down.     Paul.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks - already made that call and have one on order.  It's actually not all that easy to find either a pump OR a regulator that goes down to 3psi, but Holley has one, and I have it on order.

So, we'll know in a few days if that solves the problem, but I'm pretty optimistic.  I'll also get a new needle in case we didn't quite get rid of the groove and gas might still be sneaking by that as well.

2 hours ago, Mack58B42 said:

Thanks - already made that call and have one on order.  It's actually not all that easy to find either a pump OR a regulator that goes down to 3psi, but Holley has one, and I have it on order.

So, we'll know in a few days if that solves the problem, but I'm pretty optimistic.  I'll also get a new needle in case we didn't quite get rid of the groove and gas might still be sneaking by that as well.

Double check the float to 1) be sure it's not "leaky" and  2) that is isn't set to high so it over fills the fuel bowl.    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks Paul.  The mechanic Dennis uses and sent out is top notch, and is very familiar with the 707.  He went through the carb, and everything in there is good, except for that slight groove on the needle.  We sanded it, and it seems to be OK, but he's sending me a new one, just in case.  But the fact that it runs great over about 1200-1400rpms is indicating that the thing is just flat out getting too much fuel blow-by at any rpms below that, so we're pretty sure the regulator will solve it.

Of course, no one locally has a regulator at that low a rating, so I have to order it and likely wait 2-3 days.....