Vintage L series photos

did Mack ever offer an integral sleeper cab on the LTL series? never seen one, but that doesn't mean it wasn't offered

I would not be surprised because the LTL's were the same as the LT's but with aluminum components --engine mounts, front spring brackets, belly band, front.cab mounts, radiator support cross members, steps and battery boxes, steering column, trunion support, wheel hubs, brake spiders, brake shoes, air tanks, axle stops, auxiliary transmission case, and wheels. 1950-56, production 1216 units 3 axle and 130 units 2 axle units designated LTLT

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I would not be surprised because the LTL's were the same as the LT's but with aluminum components --engine mounts, front spring brackets, belly band, front.cab mounts, radiator support cross members, steps and battery boxes, steering column, trunion support, wheel hubs, brake spiders, brake shoes, air tanks, axle stops, auxiliary transmission case, and wheels. 1950-56, production 1216 units 3 axle and 130 units 2 axle units designated LTLT

I put muself down on my knees with a camera many times to look underneeth of LJ's and LT's and was every time surprized by seeing almost different spring hangers, side step brackets and so on on LT's. It looked like someone rebuilt them with newer or different truck's components but to the moment I met no exception.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

3 axle mean 3 drive axles?

3 axle = tandem , 2 axle = single drive axle.

I put muself down on my knees with a camera many times to look underneeth of LJ's and LT's and was every time surprized by seeing almost different spring hangers, side step brackets and so on on LT's. It looked like someone rebuilt them with newer or different truck's components but to the moment I met no exception.

The early LTL series from 1947 to 1950 or 51 had different front spring hangers and springs. The later was done to make it better as an OTR

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I can see BOB BROWN behind the wheel of the blue LTL. He did a nice job on that one

Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you for sharing, ran out of likes for now.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

3 axles for tandem is how we count it here. And in Europe also.

Diffirent L's had some different hanger styles along the years but they looked similar in general.

All the LT's I was able to put my nose close to looked like an almost different truck about the chassis.

I checked out no less than 10 vehicles.

For instance the well known blue example at Mahan's has the front springs wich look much more as a R-model 3 leaf setup. Although I'm just not shure it was from the factory.

Diffirent L's had some different hanger styles along the years but they looked similar in general.

All the LT's I was able to put my nose close to looked like an almost different truck about the chassis.

For instance the well known blue example at Mahan's has the front springs wich look much more as a R-model 3 leaf setup. Although I'm just not shure it was from the factory.

LTL is different in components from an L or LJ and actually designed as an OTR unit to be light weight , better ride for OTR usage. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I might be more lucky being born already learned of what OTR is.. :)

Over The Road :)

I know it;s on a late chassis and absent of the alumonum components most noticable with out looking at the suspension is the steel belly band, but the LTL's did/do have different spring packs and early and late front hangers and springs

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have a question (See Top pic of blue Mack) This RW1 or WS frame has bolted on it a little 'hook' onto the frame right in front of the spring hanger.... what was that for?

My Superliner has one.... (?????)

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

I believe Orville Bodies made both companies sleeper units and Dodges sleeper cab. .

P.T.CHESHIRE

Orville delivering L(?) and B sleeper cabs about 1955 of so.

post-75-0-66363400-1308306229_thumb.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE

Orville made sleeper cab conversion for most if not all truck manufacturers back then. One tell tale sign is the side window in sleeper.It is said to be the same as a 1940 Ford Coupe.There was an article in Wheels of Time years back that showed how Orville widened the cab and put sections in the roof. Joe D.

• Like 2

I have a question (See Top pic of blue Mack) This RW1 or WS frame has bolted on it a little 'hook' onto the frame right in front of the spring hanger.... what was that for?

My Superliner has one.... (?????)

Anybody????

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.