Bucket Truck / Bucket Lift Purchase

farmer52

I been thinking of buying a lift so I can trim trees and work on buildings, etc. around the PA farm. Initial thought was a boom lift but decent ones are over $10K. Another option is a bucket truck. Truck would not need license since it will only be used on the farm (no public roads).

Found a 1995 Ford F450 w/7.3L and 1986 Ford E350 gasser on CL. F450 is about an hour away and the E350 is about 15 minutes away. Here are the listings:

http://altoona.craigslist.org/bfd/5297197132.html

http://altoona.craigslist.org/cto/5300879424.html

Another option is to rent a lift when needed. I will check prices and compare renting to purchase. Purchase would be preferred, then I can use it when there is a job to do. I know there is upkeep to an owned vehicle.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Depends on how high you will need to get, but a tractor equipped with pallet forks and "work platform" might work as well with the plus of being multi-use. I use my L3430 Kubota as a lift quite often.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Look at the local utilites and cable companies, they usually sell 6 to 8 year old 29 foot plus reach bucket trucks for anywhere from $7500 and up. Have a 2004 GMC G3500 Caravan chassis with a Verslift 31 foot bucket on it. I bought it from Optimum Cable, paid $8100 for it. It's in Virginia putting gutters on our new old house.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Farmer52-

Take a look at Central Penn auto auction in Lock Haven PA. They have Verizon equip auctions once a month or so. You can prob pick one up for less than 2000.

http://www.cpaautoauction.com/components/event/show/2015/12/17

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ken that's a nice aerial ladder but I since you mentioned a bucket, I was thinking of a Mack "Aerialscope" like this.....Except single screw (a hell of a lot shorter.....) This is Philadelphia Fire Department Ladder 6 (back in the day) out of 43rd and Market. Photo by me.

Mack sold hundreds of these to FDNY over the years as both the chassis and aerial devices were considered to be bomb proof. FDNY still buys them to this day except they are now built on Seagrave Chassis.

post-1729-0-21890600-1448247741_thumb.jp

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Here's FDNY Ladder 44 on a second alarm in The Bronx, summer of 1993 I think, somewhere near 163rd & Walton Ave. Photo by me.

post-1729-0-04958800-1448247896_thumb.jp

Here is a newer Seagrave Aerialscope, assigned to Ladder Co. 31 (1216 Intervale Ave at 169 St.) Photo by me.

post-1729-0-58629300-1448248018_thumb.jp

Lemme see if I can dig up a few pix of a single screw.....

The Aerialscope has the designation of being one of the most versatile aerial devices designed specifically for firefighting. Capable of maintaining a 1000lb basket load while being able to flow 1000gpm at any angle or amount of extension is one of the things that makes them what they are, and the reason that FDNY has purchased so many of them throughout the years.

The rear of a 'Scope, showing the basket and storage rack for several hundred feet of ground ladders.

post-1729-0-18799500-1448248948.jpg

A side views of a single screw scope

post-1729-0-58844400-1448248928_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-77642600-1448248937_thumb.jp

Couple of scopes in action in Brooklyn

post-1729-0-39600100-1448248956_thumb.jp

Any angle, any elevation, any extension, 1000lbs in the bucket while flowing 1000gpm

post-1729-0-27801500-1448248966_thumb.jp

You can even use them below the level of the turntable (yes....still 1000lbs/1000gpm.)

post-1729-0-88791700-1448249175_thumb.jp

Photo credits to the unknown photographers.

• Like 1

Ken, you could just get a selfie stick and look down at sun bathing wimmins next door with you phone a lot cheaper than buying a bucket truck! I think they will get tired of the chain saw noise and will know what you are doing when they see no trimmed trees!

• Like 2

Randy,

Thanks for the pics and education on aerialscopes! A single axle aerial would be great. What is a "typical" price for one in decent condition?

Rob,

No Poverty Hollow wimmin to look at. Unless you like "pigs". :whistling:

Jason/Paul,

Central PA auction looks interesting. I will check it out. Thanks! Lock Haven is about 1-1/2 hours northeast of the PA farm.

Ken

Or you could copy this ;)

post-3242-0-68322900-1448326744_thumb.jp

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Fred,

There are many other "jobs" where I could use a bucket truck or boom lift (working on the MH roof, trailer sides, barn eaves, house roof, and the list goes on). I am getting too old to be climbing a ladder. Also since I am the only person at the farm, if something would happen..... Something could happen with a lift but should be safer than a ladder.

Per Paul/Jason, I am going to Lock Haven in December and see what is on the lot.

Ken

The dura lift and the versa lift are both good buckets but the onan genset is a total PITA to keep running and parts usually have to come from Cummins. Clutch pump or 12 volt electric over hydraulic pump is much better as is a dually truck.

I'd take an aerialscope or a bucket truck for my farm. It is not in my budget right now. I am going to try to use my B85 from Chicago, but it would not be as handy as an aerialscope. Ken, you could buy me a bucket truck if they go cheap at the auction. Mike

Mike,

2 for the price of 1 sale? I will let you know prices if I attend. Based on the CPA website, they have monthly utility vehicle auctions.

Actually I was hoping you or Yardo would buy me an aerialscope or similar vehicle for Christmas. :whistling:

Ken